Are you tired of one-size-fits-all advice? Yes! I need a personalized sleep solution.

Comments

1. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Zaharah — her night wakings don’t sound excessive, since she’s still very young; waking 2-3 times each night is normal at this age. So nothing to worry about there.

As for the noisy building — definitely utilize white noise. If it doesn’t seem to help, then perhaps try a louder setting?

In terms of the changing sleep patterns — take a look at this article when you have a chance: https://www.babysleepsite.com/how-we-sleep/4-month-old-sleep-regression/. It’s not that the night waking and fighting naps are now permanent; it’s just that those problems reveal what’s happening to your daughter’s sleep patterns. Your daughter is starting to cycle in and out of deep and light sleep, just like we adults do. The problem is, as she transitions between sleep cycles, she’ll likely wake up. Most babies don’t know how to put themselves back to sleep when this happens, so they cry for mom or dad to come and help them fall asleep again. This affects naps, too.

The good news is, you don’t have to live with this problem; you can help your baby learn to fall asleep on her own, without help from you. When she can do that, she’ll be able to put herself back to sleep when she wakes between sleep cycles, and that will mean much less night waking, as well as longer naps.

If this is something you want to know more about, I’d suggest downloading our free guide on how to help your baby sleep through the night: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-through-night-free-ebook/ That’s a great place to begin for moms who are just starting out with sleep training.

Hope this helps, Zahrah! 🙂 Thanks for commenting, and don’t hesitate to ask more questions, if you have them. You can ask them here, via the comments, or you can email them to contact (at) babysleepsite (dot) com.

2. Zahrah says:

Hi Emily her night wakings are from 1 or 2 times per night to 3 or 4. I also find it hard to get her to fall asleep and stay asleep during naps. She is a very light sleeper and the building we live in is very noisy, do you perhaps think this is the cause? If so how can I make her fall asleep and stay asleep through the noise. I do have a white noise running but doesn’t help much. And also what do you mean by her sleep patterns change permanently at 4 months? Will the night wakings and fighting naps now be a permanent thing? Thanks

3. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Zahrah – this sounds a lot like the 4 month sleep regression (read about it here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/how-we-sleep/4-month-old-sleep-regression/). Unfortunately, this never really ‘ends’ – sleep patterns change permanently at 4 months. Is her nighttime sleep affected, too? Is she waking a lot at night? Or is it just naps?

4. Zahrah says:

My 4 month old is just not sleeping!!! She’s fighting her naps and also night sleep. I’m sure her gums are troubling her as well. I’m exhausted. How long will this carry on? Please help?

5. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Dawn – the sleep consultants managed to dig up a link to two studies that seem to indicate that moving sleep might be too stimulating to be restful: https://www.parentingscience.com/infant-sleep-aid.html Scroll down to the middle of the page to find the section called “Rocking baby to sleep: A controversial infant sleep aid”. The first full paragraph there suggests that rocking may keep babies to alert to sleep deeply. Full citations for the studies referenced are available at the end of the article.

Hope this helps!

6. Dawn says:

Can you point me to the research that shows that moving naps are not as restorative as non-moving naps? I have read that is one person’s opinion (Dr Weissbluth’s) and logically it doesn’t make any sense to me, so I wanted to read the research on the subject. Thanks!

• Emily DeJeu says:

@ Dawn – I talked with Nicole, and with some other sleep consultants, regarding this question. Here’s the verdict: this concept is (as you point out) one that Dr. Weissbluth introduces in his book. We’ve been through the book, and there doesn’t seem to be a particular study that Weissbluth references when he makes this point (although he does reference 12 studies/articles about naps in general, so it’s possible this concept is included in one of those). However, I think it’s important to take Weissbluth’s own expertise as a pediatrician with decades of experience into account, too. Even if this is his opinion, and not necessarily information he gleaned from clinical research, his opinion is likely more informed than most other peoples’ opinions, given the work he does, and the length of time he’s been doing it. Does that make sense? Of course, we also hold to the idea that parents know their babies best, so if moving naps seem to really work for your baby, then no worries. 🙂

Something to consider, if you’re thinking through moving naps – Dr. Sears is a big advocate of “rocking/wearing/swinging/driving down”. Basically, you provide whatever motion is necessary for baby to settle and fall asleep (rocking, wearing in the sling, swinging, driving around, etc.). Then, when baby is sound asleep, you transfer to a flat, stationary surface. This suggests, to me at least, that Dr. Sears believes having at least some of a baby’s sleep happen on a stationary surface is preferable to having all the sleep happen while the baby is moving.

Something else to consider – in our experience, moving sleep can be really beneficial for newborns and very young infants, because their sleeping patterns are nothing like ours. It does seem possible for newborns and young babies to sleep really, really soundly while in the stroller, or in the car, or in a sling. For that reason, moving sleep probably isn’t a big issue for the first 3 or 4 months. After the 4 month sleep regression, though, a baby’s sleep patterns change and become more ‘adult’ in nature; at that point, I think moving sleep likely becomes more fragmented and restless, the way it is for us adults.

Does this help? If this is something you’re figuring out with your own baby, we can offer some advice and tips (provided you want help, of course! 😉 )

Thanks for reaching out, Dawn! Don’t hesitate to follow up with any additional questions.

7. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Meagan – interesting point; I hadn’t realized that one of the side effects of jaundice was extra-sleepiness. Thanks for pointing that out! And I get your point about “drowsy but awake” not always being an option; the same was true for my oldest son. During his first few months of life, it seemed like he was either dead asleep (and impossible to wake up) or wide awake and screaming. There wasn’t a whole lot of middle ground! 😉

Thanks for commenting, Meagan, and for sharing some of the details of your experience.

8. Meagan says:

One of the issues I ran into with my son was jaundice- he was such a sleepy baby for the first month or so. I’d read descriptions of wide eyed newborns watching blurs of light on the ceiling and have no comparable experience. If I held my son, he was sleeping. If I nursed, he was sleeping (and he got quite accomplished at eating while sleeping too). Sleep associations were just inevitable. We ended up doing CIO way younger than we wanted to (4.5 months) because all those sleep associations made the idea of lying him down “sleepy but awake” kind of a joke.

9. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Jessica – first, let me say that I’m glad your sleep plan was such a big help when your little guy was 13 months old! Second, I think your thinking is exactly right here; this is more than likely the 2 year regression rearing its ugly head. 😉 I’m glad to hear that you realize this, and are trying to work through it. Some parents make the mistake of assuming, when this happens, that their 2 year old must be done napping, and they cut out the afternoon nap. While this is true for a small percentage of 2 year olds, it’s definitely not the norm. So I think you’re wise to stick with it and trust that this will pass, and that he’ll be taking his afternoon nap again eventually.

As for how to deal with this – the Members Area could definitely be a good resource. As a member, you’d be able to read an online copy of our Toddler e-book (see more info here: http://www.toddlersleepswell.com). You’d also have be able to chat with other parents who’ve experienced this, and get insights that way. And Nicole does a weekly member chat on Wednesdays, so you’d have the chance to ask her for input. There are also loads of case studies and past tele-seminars, some of which would definitely apply to your situation. So yes, membership could be a good option for you. 🙂 More info is available here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/diy/)

Thanks for your question, Jessica, and for taking the time to comment! Best of luck to you, as you try to ride out this regression. 🙂

10. Jessica says:

Our 21 month old has been a great napper since we instituted our sleep plan at 13 months. Then all of a sudden 2 weeks ago he flipped out and refused to lay down or fall asleep in his crib. I think its the 24 month sleep regression so we have been trying to stay as consistant as possible. In the last 2 days it has gotton progressivly worse so we have resorted to going for a ride in the car to get him to sleep then transfering him to his crib where he will nap for 2 hours. Thanks for the reminder that we shouldn’t create new sleep issues by using the car movement as a sleep cue. Does the members area give a little more advise on how to cope with sleep regressions without forming new (and bad) habits? We are not sure how long this will last and its scary!