No products in the cart.

Comments

1. Patricia says

Hi, my boy has been sleeping 12 hours a night since he is 2 months old. We just started giving him the medicine Singular which can cause night terrors.. well day 5 after medication he started to refuse nap and crying when put to bed which he would never do , also now wakes up from 2-3am, and wakes up at 5am.. usually wakes up at 7-8am. We have taken him off the medication and he keeps doing the same.. so now im thinking this could be sleep regression at 16 months and not the medication? He never had sleep regression issues.. He is starting to walk now also.. so this is new for him…. Im so confused on putting him back on the medication or not.. or if this is sleep regression….

• Janelle Reid says

@Patricia – Thank you for writing to us! I am so sorry you’ve been experiencing frequent night wakings with your son. It can be tricky to know if it is the medication or not. I would of course recommend talking to your son’s doctor and get their thoughts on it, but it certainly could be your son trying to figure out the milestone of walking, and possibly the 18 month sleep regression coming as well! You will know if it’s these things because things typically level out after a few weeks or so. If it was the medication, it may take a while to get out of his system (I have no idea, I’m just throwing it out there) and will take a while for him to adjust back to normal. I’m sorry for no concrete answer! If it turns out you need more help with this issue, please let us know! We have an amazing team of sleep consultants that can help troubleshoot this issue with you so everyone starts sleeping better again!

2. Lucy says

Hi there

Our 18month old used to be a brilliant sleeper- we would do nighttime routine and then put him in his cot say night night and he’d roll over and get himself to sleep. Then husband changed jobs so we stopped having a nanny in the day and my husband was the sole Carer for 2 months, this coincided with teething which meant he woke up for +2 hours every night screaming. Then it was Christmas and we were away on holiday for a couple of weeks over which time he was ill, so the sleeping got worse, and we have now moved country and he now wakes up twice in the evening after he has gone to bed. We have put this all down to us causing too much change in his life coupled with teething so have been lenient and now rock him to sleep. But we are worried we have created bad habits- and this is harder to fix. We are now settled in our new country- although set to move house in the next couple of weeks- and plan to put some training in action- please can you help? Thank you!

3. Flor R says

Thank you Mallory. I will definitely keep you and your team in my thoughts for help.

4. Mallory says

Can a child go through the 18 month sleep regression at 16 months???

• Janelle Reid says

@Mallory, Thanks for stopping by the Baby Sleep Site! Babies are a real mystery, aren’t they? I’d never say never about a baby doing something strange or “off book”, so it is certainly possible your baby is hitting this developmental leap a few months early. Hang in there and I hope things smooth out soon!

5. Flor R says

Help! My soon to be 18 month old has always been a horrible sleeper. He used to take two naps during the day. Go to bed at 8. Wake up at two and 5:30 am. He o my falls asleep while breastfeeding or in his swing that he is too big for. Now, he is 18 months and going through a regression refusing for me to put him in his crib and waking up several
    Times at night. What do I do?

• Janelle Reid says

@Flor R, I am so sorry your son has been so difficult with his sleep! Adding in a regression to challenging sleepers is tough. It sounds like your son has some sleep associations that are keeping him sleeping in longer stretches and needs your help to get him back to sleep again when he goes through a light sleep cycle and this is going to heighten during a regression. Here is an article with more information on his dependency on you: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association/
      If you decide to sleep train you may find this series of different methods helpful: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-training-from-no-cry-to-cry-series-part-1/
      Let us know if you need any additional help! We have a great team of sleep consultants here that would love to work one-on-one with you and create a plan specifically for your situation. Thanks for your comment!

6. Debbye @ The Baby Sleep Site says

Hi @Samira –
    I am sorry to hear that your little one is having trouble with sleep! As you have read, this age can be a very tough one! it sounds like you are doing really well at being consistent, which is great! It is quite common for babies and toddlers to cry for a few minutes or so when going to sleep, like winding down. You may also want to be sure that your toddler is on a good daytime schedule (naps) with a good bedtime, getting the right amount of overall sleep, as an overtired toddler has a more difficult time staying asleep, especially with those pesky early wakings! You can find a complete list of our recommended schedules by age here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-feeding-schedules/
    I hope that things smooth out quickly! Hang in there!

7. Samira says

My LO is 17 months and has been changing his sleep (and overall behavior) for the past six weeks or so. We did sleep training (Check and console method) with him at 8 months and since then he has put himself to sleep great. We would do our normal sleep routine and put him in his crib awake and he would fall asleep on his own. Now almost every nap and bedtime he throws his lovey out of the bed and cries for 2-20 mins before fall asleep. I feel the worst has been in the mornings when he wakes though. He used to wake up between 530-730 (no matter what we did, he is always been an early riser) but he would stay in his crib chatting happily. Now it feels like every morning he wakes up screaming. We still don’t get him out of th crib until 630 and practice Check and console method but it doesn’t seem to be increasing his ability to self soothe. Slightly going crazy here. Any tips.

8. Chandra says

My 18 month old still has not slept through the night yet. He still wakes up at least 1-2 times a night, sometimes needing a bottle or sometimes he wakes up screaming. He naps very well anywhere from 2-3 hours and he goes down for bed most times without fuss but we can’t seem go him to stay asleep all night???? And when he wakes up screaming dad goes in and it usually ends up with him sleeping with baby in the chair. Any suggestions would be great.

• Janelle Reid says

@Chandra, Thank you for using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource! I am so sorry to hear you are struggling with your son’s frequent night wakings. We would love to help. It sounds like your son may have some sleep associations that he needs to help him get back to sleep during those night wakings. Here is an article with more information about sleep associations: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association/
      It can be challenging to break the sleep association, but it certainly can be done! It may just require you and your husband to create a plan and stick to it for a couple of weeks while you help your son learn how to fall back asleep on his own. Here is a link to a cheat sheet of different sleep training techniques you may decide to try: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/5-baby-sleep-training-methods-explained/
      If you need any help with this, our consultants would love to help walk you through this. You can view all of our personalized options on our website here:https://www.babysleepsite.com/services We wish you the best of luck and hope you get some full nights of sleep soon!

9. Catherine says

Thank goodness for this webpage. My husband and I thought our child was demonic. Our poor neighbours must hate us.
    We are going through a rough time with our 17 month old twins and we had no idea what had got into them, but this page has explained everything. Subsequently we feel more compassionate and less frustrated. Exhausted is an understatement.

10. Brittany says

My 18 month old wakes up at least once a night crying. His eyes are closed and all I have to do is lay my hand on his back for a second and then I walk out. Some nights he does this three and four times. He is my third child and my older two slept through the night by 8 months old and never had any other issues. I just have no clue what I am doing wrong and how to get a full nights sleep.