Comments

1. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Meagan — yes! My boys are pretty active sleepers, too – and they snore! I can count on one hand the number of times they’ve slept in our bed, and I got virtually no sleep any of those nights! Too many elbows/knees/cold feet hitting me in the night!

You make a good point about using the sensitivity of the monitor being key – I agree. When I was a new mom, I remember turning it all the way up, as loud as it would go, and then being stunned, those first few nights home from the hospital, when I could literally hear my son sigh on the monitor! I quickly learned to turn it way down after that, so that I heard crying but not anything else 🙂

Thanks for commenting, Meagan!

@ Christine — thanks for sharing your thoughts about Angelcare! Sounds like it’s been a good product for you (and like it really works – which is good to know!) I know a few people who’ve used the Snuza with success, too. It’s a movement monitor that you actually clip onto the baby, so it’s a little more portable.

Thanks for sharing a bit about your experience, Christine! 🙂

@ Blakely — do you mean the kind of feedback you’d get off a microphone? Wow – that would be obnoxious! Worse than having to listen to crying, I’d imagine. Have you thought about getting a new monitor? Do you think it’s a quality issue, maybe?

@ Allison – I never had a video monitor, but my friends who’ve used them have just loved them. And that’s something that really grows with a child, I think. You don’t necessarily need to hear a toddler during naptime, but it can be helpful to see them.

Good points – thanks for sharing, Allison! 🙂

@ Heather – oh, yes, that’s a good point. Especially if you’re trying to track total sleep amounts – it would be good to be able to hear/see baby at naptime, to know how much of the nap was sleep and how much wasn’t.

Thanks for pointing this out, Heather! 🙂

2. Meghan Shivel says:

We use video monitors with our 2 kiddos, daughter is 3yr6mo and my son is 22mo. It made the transition out of our room into cribs much easier on us. We have 2 loud cats so we have to keep doors closed at night and I don’t dare open a creaky door to a sleeping baby’s room. It’s like waking a sleeping bear, no thanks! While we are close by at night, it still helps to see if crying is accompanied by standing up or if it’s just a laying down settling kind of cry. My daughter is in a big girl bed now and the video has been so helpful in monitoring her location in her room during rest time, and also to know when she’s on the move in the morning! I do think that some parents, if they are already on the more anxious side, may become even more anxious with a video monitor or become somewhat obsessed with watching it, but for average parents and healthy kids, I think they are great.

3. Krysbe says:

We used the snuza until she about 8 months old (when she started to wriggle it off of herself under her footy pj’s). Even though we got several false alarms during those 8 months, my husband could not sleep without it on her because he was terrified of SIDS. The monitor we use at night because we can’t hear her otherwise, but I leave the volume really low so that I only hear her when she is really screaming (although now at 2 it is sometimes just a night terror or nightmare).

4. Laura says:

We have a video baby monitor and I can’t even express how useful it has been for our family. Our daughter was an EASY baby who rarely if ever had any sleep problems except her first winter when we didn’t think about the fact that her room is above the garage and she woke up freezing and screaming every night wanting to cuddle which was very strange. A space heater solved that, but the problem we had with her, is that as an infant and even still at 2, she is perfectly happy to just VERY quietly play in her room after she wakes up. One day to see how long she’d go, I let her play in her room after her nap to see if she’d ever call out or ask for us, and 3 hrs later she was still happily entertaining herself. It was maddening waiting for her to realize that she could call out and we would come for her so I caved and went anyways. Because of that, having the video monitor allows us to see that she’s awake and moving around and we can get her ready for the day. Without the video monitor, we’d just be taking a chance that we’d either be waking her up, or interrupting her “quiet play time” that she really enjoys. Every great odd once in a while if she’s sad, or sick she will call out for us so we know she knows she can, but for whatever reason she doesn’t feel the need to most of the time.

5. Mara says:

I really don’t like using a monitor, because every sound wakes me. Unfortunately, we cannot hear our baby in her room during then night from our bedroom without the monitor. Sigh.

6. Heather says:

I always use a monitor for naps, because it’s really helpful for me to know if the baby has slept for an hour, or slept for 30 minutes and babbled to himself for 30 minutes. But I never use one at night, because I can hear the baby crying without it, and it just wakes me up more to hear all the little sounds he makes.

7. Allison says:

We had been warned that a monitor was not necessary, but we bought one anyway. Our daughter is 8 months old and I have already sold it. I definitely slept better once it was packed away. However, I was so paranoid about SIDS (wish I didn’t know what that acronym meant, honestly) that I think I would have really appreciated a video monitor for those first few months. Would have been happy with video and no sound.

8. Blakely says:

I’m really frustrated with our baby monitor keeping me up with feedback not baby noises. However, I can’t hear her cry without it. I will rarely go upstairs when she cries because it usually stops within 15 minutes. However, she’s 15 months, so if she really needs something she can’t just run downstairs and tell us. For this reason, I feel I have to keep the monitor until she can safely get to us for help.

9. Christine says:

I find the angelcare monitor means I don’t check on sleeping baby during the night. I’ve forgotten to switch it off sometimes and it definitely goes off when no movement. I only use the handset when I’m in the yard or the bath where I can’t hear baby until she’s screaming the place down.

10. Meagan says:

My son is generally healthy, but he does have asthma, so I think we’ll be hanging on to the monitor for a while. When he’s sick I still need to sneak upstairs and crack the door occasionally to reassure myself that he’s still breathing, but the monitor lets us keep tabs on how much he’s coughing when he’s not sick (there’s always a little coughing). We keep the monitor on a low sensitivity setting, so it actually shuts itself off when there is no irregular noise (it ignores the white noise generator). We sleep downstairs so we really can’t otherwise hear anything short of screaming.

We didn’t discover the sensitivity setting right away, and I will say my sleep was much worse when the monitor was at a high sensitivity and always set to “on.” Babies/Toddlers are noisy sleepers.

Side note: they are also insanely restless sleepers, or at least ours is. We recently traveled and ended up having to bring my son to bed with us to get him to settle down. He thrashed around all freaking night. At several points my husband woke up and sternly told my son to go back to sleep. I finally hissed at him, “Shut UP he IS asleep.” How do people cosleep? I got no rest at all.