Comments

1. Nadia says:

What an interesting read.
    My work bought us a baby monitor and we have used it once, it was only when she was a newborn and sleeping in her room with us watching tv in the other room. But my baby sleeps so well there is really no point in using the monitor. So now it lies in a packet in the spare room with no batteries.
    A mother’s hearing is so good though, I really don’t see why people would need a monitor unless they are in a huge house or having a party.

2. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Blakely — totally understood – I’m a thrifty gal, too! If you’re going to have more babies at some point, then it might not be a bad idea to invest in one, but if you’re done, then that’s a different story.

Good luck! And thanks again for commenting 🙂

@ Kay wallis — oh my goodness, I did the exact same thing! I’d turn mine way down, so that I could only hear true crying, and then if I heard any ‘phantom’ cries, I’d look at the lights to be sure. Our great minds think alike, huh? 😉

Good call too, on the traveling – we did use ours when we’d travel, for the same reasons you mention. Thanks for commenting, Kay!

@ Elena – another vote for the video monitor! Like I said, I never had one, but my friends who did just loved them. Those really do seem to have way more advantages than the sound-only monitors.

Thanks for sharing this, Elena! 🙂

@ Julie Deschamps – good points! Sounds like the monitor is a good tool for you, and not one that’s waking you up / driving you crazy. Means it’s a keeper, then! 😉

Thanks for commenting, Julie!

@ Kristycat — wow — well-said! You’re absolutely right; it may just be a matter of training yourself to learn your babies cries, and knowing which ones you need to respond to immediately, and which you can ignore for 10 or 15 minutes (because they’ll probably peter out on their own). I love your observations about how you’ve grown in this way, since your early days of motherhood – I can definitely relate to that! And I’m sure a lot of our other readers can, too. 🙂

Thanks so much for sharing this comment, Kristycat!

@ Kaela – this made me laugh, because I can relate! My daughter is in the room next door, and there’s a vent between our wall and hers, so we can hear EVERY noise that comes from her room. She’s 2 1/2 now, so it’s fine, but when she was a baby, I would’ve given anything for more soundproofing, too!

Thanks for commenting, Kaela! 🙂

@ Kleo – excellent point, about sleep training being made easier by a video monitor, because you can monitor what’s happening when you’re not in the room! I love that observation. And I love your point about how your video monitor helped you learn her physical and verbal cues, and how they work together. Sounds like your video monitor has been a real godsend for you and your family, Kleo!

Thanks so much for commenting 🙂

3. Kleo says:

We ditched the motion sensor after a day it went off too often even when our daughter was moving.

We never have the sound in as we have lived in houses where we can hear her but video was a godsend! Actually for the same reasons you say to ditch it for sound. I can hear her cry but I always check the monitor to see what she’s doing. If she is laying down and crying I know she will go back to sleep, if she’s standing up and crying I know to leave her for 5 minutes as she often goes back to sleep so I can see her, so if it’s been 5-10 minutes and she’s still standing I go in to get her up from her nap.

I’m lucky she has slept through the night for 6 months now so I’m actually unsure what I would do if she was standing up and crying but if she cries and is laying down I at least know to definitely leave her .

In fact I think sleep training would be far easier and effective if all parents have a video monitor to learn their physical signs and keep that all important schedule on track if you know when they are asleep or just quietly going to sleep. It’s also great if you are doing controlled crying so you can see if its working by bubs responses each time you leave the room.

4. Kaela says:

My son is 8 months old and I have a sound and video monitor that I love. It’s good to check while he’s napping if he’s actually asleep or just rolling around and wrestling his stuffed elephant. At night though I put the monitor by my bed and turn the sound off. He is on the other side of the wall so even a medium cry is easy to hear (almost wish the walks were a tad MORE soundproof!). It’s great to be able to quickly look at the screen and see if his leg or something is stuck, versus just a night waking so I don’t need to immediately intervene. In summary, I think a monitor is only worth the purchase if you get the video option

5. Kristycat says:

Our monitor helped, but we did have to train ourselves to recognize the difference between the fussy “but I don’t WANT to go to sleep yet” cry (which usually lasts less than 5 minutes, if that long, before sleep kicks in), the “hey, something’s actually wrong, come fix it” cry (to indicate hunger, thirst, or a wet diaper), and the sharp, urgent “something is SERIOUSLY wrong, get in here NOW!” cry that accompanies getting her foot painfully stuck in the slats or waking from a bad nightmare and needing comfort.

It also provides us with some amazingly cute moments, when we can hear her just before falling asleep or just after waking up, playing with her stuffed animal and singing or talking to herself!

So I don’t think monitors are bad – but, like with any tool, learning to use them properly and not overreact at every tiny noise is all just part of the new-parent process. (The first few weeks, we freaked out if she made noise, and then we freaked out if she was too quiet! After a while, we learned to settle down!)

6. Julie Deschamps says:

I use a video monitor and i love it! it did make the transition to the crib A LOT EASIER on me of course… always harder on parents hehehe I have a motorola and i love it.
    I do have to turn the sound to low because otherwise i hear A LOT of noises she makes. When i hear her i usually wait a good 10-15 min to make sure she is actually waking up and hungry and not just fussing around for a bit and falling back asleep. Also waiting this long i can tell if her crying gets louder and she does need something or if she is just making noise and then falling back asleep which she did at 3am a couple nights ago and this morning at 7 am. I am very happy with our monitor!

7. Elena says:

For me baby monitor is a must! I had a video monitor for my first son – and now we’ve got second one for my smallest baby. I have 2 store townhouse and even though with time I’ve learned that I can hear loud baby cry when I’m on the 1st floor for me the monitor brings peace of mind – just to see what happens in the bed. Also, my first son loved sleeping on his belly – any other position made him wake up like every 20-30 minutes so with video monitor I could make sure he didnt put his face downwards.

8. Kay wallis says:

I had a tough time sleeping when bub was little. Every noise woke me and I’d often imagine I heard crying. The baby monitor was great, but we ran it on mute. That way, I only woke up if he was crying rather than making a small noise and if it was all in my head a quick glance at the monitor’s lights told me so.
    We are lucky though as his bedroom right next door so I can genuinely hear what I need to but the monitor was better for “false positives” (ie it all being in my head).
    We also used it heaps while travelling or so we could be outside on our deck during nap times etc.
    Highly recommend.

9. Blakely says:

it is definitely a quality issue. We were given the monitor for free from a coworker as a hand me down. It was fine at first, but it’s progressively gotten worse. It’s an awful buzzing noise. I just don’t know if I want to spend the money on another one. =-/

10. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Mara – that’s frustrating. Have you tried putting it on a really low setting? We were in a similar situation in our first house – it was a really long ranch, and our bedroom was at one end and the baby’s room was at the other. I found I really did need the monitor then, but as long as I kept it turned way down, I could mostly sleep okay (although I will say, once I finally was able to get rid of it, I slept better!)

Good luck to you, Mara! And thanks for commenting 🙂

@ Laura — wow — that sounds amazing! My daughter can entertain herself in her bed pretty well, too, but 3 hours is impressive! I can see your point, though, about that backfiring if you were set out not poking your head in the door, and waiting for her to cry/call out. Sounds like the video monitor was a great solution!

Thanks for commenting, Laura! 🙂

@ Krysbe – good point about more agile babies being able to take the Snuza right off – that would make it a less ideal solution for older babies, then. I’m guessing the Angelcare may be a better bet for parents who want to use movement monitors for awhile.

Thanks for sharing this story, Krysbe! 🙂

@ Meagan Shivel – yes, that’s a good point! Moms and dads who already have ‘helicopter parent’ tendencies may obsess over a video monitor. But I see your point, that being able to both see and hear would be really useful. And I do think that this may make video monitors useful for much longer than sound-only monitors – which helps to justify the higher price tag, I suppose.

Thanks for sharing this, Meagan! 🙂