Yesterday was the first day of National Sleep Awareness week in the United States. This Sleep Awareness week is meant to also coincide with US Daylight Saving Time on Sunday, March 11, 2012. National Sleep Awareness week is a public education campaign to help promote and educate the importance of sleep. Here at The Baby Sleep Site™, we know all too well the importance of sleep for babies, toddlers and their very tired parents. Daylight Saving Time is often a concern for many parents who fear that the time change could create additional or new sleep problems. Our hope is that our articles and resources provide the information and tips that parents need to help teach their little ones healthy sleep habits and to get through transition periods like Daylight Saving Time.
Here are some baby and toddler sleep facts from the National Sleep Foundation:
- Sleep is the primary activity of the brain during early development.
- The sleep-wake cycle is regulated by light and dark and it takes time for a baby’s sleep rhythms to devlop
- By 3 to 6 months of age, most babies have a regular sleep-wake cycle.
- Developing a regular sleep time routine can help a baby or toddler to understand when it’s time to go to sleep.
Daylight Saving Time
Here are some sleep tips for how to help your baby to sleep later after spring forward daylight saving time:
- Change your daytime routines to be an hour later, not just sleep
- Ensure your baby naps at least one hour for each nap (except for the third nap of the day for babies taking three naps)
- Make sure you set bedtime to be the new time HOWEVER if your bedtime was too late before, make it earlier than the new clock time (which is still later than the old)
- If you don’t already have them, try room-darkening blinds/curtains
- Ensure your baby is eating enough during the day
You can read more of our tips on how to survive the Spring Forward Daylight Saving Time HERE.
For National Sleep Awareness Week, we thought it would be a great time to have a giveaway! For this giveaway we have a grand prize of the winner’s choice of a $150 gift card to Amazon or Target and along with several sleep related prizes which are meant to either help you and your baby with getting more sleep or with learning healthy sleep habits. Entries to the giveaway will be accepted today through 11:59 pm, March 11, 2012. Prizes and their descriptions are listed below followed by instructions for how you can enter the giveaway.
The Grand Prize Winner for the Sleep Awareness Week Giveaway will have their choice of either a $150 Gift Card to Amazon or to Target. Either gift card can be used to order easily online or the Target Gift Card can also be used in a Target Retail Store. (*Please note that the Target gift card option is only available to US Residents. If you are outside of the US and are drawn for the grand prize, you will receive the Amazon Gift Card.)
The 3 Step System to Help Your Child Sleep We will be giving away a copy of this ebook to one lucky winner. This book helps you design a step by step a sleep coaching plan that works for you and your family. It also includes a quick reference guide with age-specific sleep guidelines and sleep log for tracking your child’s sleep patterns. Whether you are interested in co-sleeping, crying it out, setting schedules, night weaning or feeding at night, this book covers it all!
Sometimes it is unavoidable that you are out and about and it is your baby’s nap time or baby just simply zonks out. With the SnoozeShade, babies can get the sleep they need when out and about with SnoozeShade – a range of award-winning, breathable blackout covers that make any time sleep time. Sometimes it’s just inevitable that your baby or toddler will fall asleep while you’re out running errands or shopping. The SnoozeShade can help your child to get some rest during those times!
SnoozeShade Original, fits all single strollers, and SnoozeShade Infant Car Seat, for most group 0/0+ infant carriers, are designed to help babies get the rest they need by creating a dark, comfortable sleep cocoon which blocks out 94% of light. SnoozeShades also provide baby with the highest level of sun protection with UPF50+, protect from wind and chill and can be used to shade delicate eyes.
Designed by a mom and endorsed by sleep experts and health professionals worldwide, SnoozeShade is soft, small and a cinch to use. You can find out more on their website about the entire line of SnoozeShade products.
One winner will receive the SnoozeShade Original for a stroller and one winner will receive a SnoozeShade for an Infant Car Seat.
Yawning Yoga is kid-tested (and parent approved!). It is truly and uniquely a book designed specifically to help kids sleep. The books’ careful sequencing makes it the perfect sleepy time book and helps a child establish a bedtime routine that is proven to work.
Incorporating Yawning Yoga into your child’s bedtime routine, provides the perfect sleep solution for your child by helping shift her minds’ focus from being preoccupied with daily stressors to focusing her attention to yoga postures, relaxation techniques and breath work, with the ultimate goal being a restful sleep.
But perhaps what’s most wonderful about Yawning Yoga is that it offers parents the opportunity to positively interact and bond with their children before bedtime, Not only will it help relax kids and increase the quality of their sleep, but will afford parents the same benefits.
Two lucky winners will each receive a copy of Yawning Yoga.
You can order copies of Yawning Yoga on Amazon.
The Good Nite Lite is the perfect nightlight for helping babies and toddler which helps promote a child’s ability to get into a healthy sleep pattern. This nightlight features a nighttime moon light that is set at bedtime to give off a soft blue glow that provides enough light to soothe your child but is not too bright as to inhibit sleeping. Parents can then set the light for a specific wake-up time and the sun lights up letting your baby or toddler learn and understand that until the sun lights up, it is still sleep time. The Good Nite Lite is a great visual cue for young children to begin moving from waking up too early and interfering with getting a full night’s rest.
One winner will receive a Good Nite Lite to give their toddler their own sun and moon to help them understand when it’s time to get up and when it’s time to go to bed!
Your baby’s sleep shouldn’t be stressful and The Baby Sleep Site strives to provide a strong, non-judgmental, support network to help you and your family sleep better. Our website has helped countless families through free online articles, step-by-step e-Books, and private and personalized sleep consulting services.
One winner will win a Basic Email Consultation package to help with your sleep struggles. With this consultation package, you will receive a Personalized Sleep Plan™ which is like a mini book written just for you and your family. A follow-up email will help to fine tune the plan or provide additional support after you have put the recommend strategies to work. If you already have an account, your account will be credited.
Deadline to enter is Sunday, March 11, 2012, 11:59 p.m. EDT.
Here is how you can enter:
(*Please note that all shipped prizes are available to US residents only.)
1. Leave a comment below. – 1 entry
2. Stumble this post. – 1 entry (Leave a comment that you stumbled)
3. Follow us or one of our sponsors on Twitter for (1) entry per Twitter account followed. (Leave a comment below telling us which Twitter account you followed.):
4. Tweet about this giveaway with a link back to this post and the tag #babysleep. The tag will allow us to track and locate your tweet entry. – 1 entry (You can enter as many times as you wish! Tweet daily!)
Sample Tweet: “I just entered the @babysleepsite Nat’l Sleep Awareness Giveaway! http://bit.ly/xkSZET #babysleep”
5. Subscribe to this blog for (1) entry. Please post in the comments that you subscribe.
6. Connect with us or any of the sponsors on Facebook and get one entry per Fan Page you join. Please post in the comments which Facebook Fan Pages you belong to.
7. Blog about this giveaway on your blog. Include a link to this post in your blog post. Please include a link to your blog post in the comments. Blog posts must be posted publicly and not on membership sites to be entered. – 10 entries
Good luck to everyone who enters!