Comments

1. Sam says:

This worked well for us with my bub.
    It’s a zipped up swaddle and has the hands covered but next to the face, thus no scratching and they can self soothe still 🙂
    Best product ever!
    Wish it was around when I had my boy too… He was and still is a really bad sleeper at almost 3

2. Laura says:

I agree that it might be better to train daycare workers in safe swaddling techniques, but I see the need for this ban. Maybe I am a bit jaded because we had a bad daycare experience, but there are so many people coming and going from the rooms, it makes sense to me to just simplify things by limiting potential hazards. The center we used, a nationwide chain, prohibits swaddling, and to me that makes sense – it’s hard for every teacher to know which baby can roll over, break out of a swaddle, etc, and every baby is so different. Asking parents to bring their own blanket/swaddle product just increases the likelihood of misuse and confusion amongst teachers, in my opinion. We used several different swaddle products (and we are on our second swaddle transition product!) and by the time we finally found one that fit our baby and that she couldn’t break out of, she was rolling over. Even though she ‘needed’ the swaddle at night, she napped just fine without it at daycare.

3. Christy says:

We used the Halo sleep sack and then graduated to the truewomb when they could get their arms free from the halo. The truewomb had light stretchy material and the arms are across the chest in sleeves with the ends sewn shut that velcro so she could get her hand to her mouth and chew it through the cloth but couldnt get free. Once our daughter could roll over we stopped and now she is happy sleeping on her tummy. I feel like the AAPs next step is going to be to tell us we have to stay awake and watch them 24/7 for truly safe babies, which without tummy or swaddle is pretty much what would have happened at my house.

4. Monique says:

Wow…what will we try to ban next? I agree with others who said that you can’t put a ban on everything because a few people are clueless. As a parent you keep an eye on your baby. Childcare centers have rules about how many carers per baby, so they can keep an eye on them. I’d say maybe it should become part of a child carer’s education. They learn to change diapers, make formula, feed babies, etc. So why not teach them the correct techniques for swaddling. I believe that swaddling helps for some babies, probably not all. But for those parents who like their baby swaddles, should be able to have the baby swaddled at day care. We swaddled my daughter, and always sound asleep. We had no issue weaning her off. At one stage she started to wiggle her arm and then both arms out, so I started to swaddle leaving her arms out. At one point it got to tight to get her into a baby blanket, after we moved to those Halo sleeping bags. She was perfectly happy. She is 25 months now, probably sleeping in PJs for about a year now. She moves so much that she can’t stay under a blanket or sheet. But she is keeping herself warm enough somehow. Anyway, I’m pro swaddling, just need to be educated on how to do it safely.

5. Marcia says:

While I can understand and appreciate people’s concern on this topic, my own personal health would not have survived had my own children not been swaddled. And then my children’s health would have been adversely effected after I had lost my mind. I do think that learning how to swaddle correctly is important, but for us swaddling was a life saver!

6. Kerri says:

If we didn’t swaddle, our LO would not have slept wink. It was a life saver for us. She started breaking out of it at 4 months, so we swaddled for awhile with one arm, then none, and then she was done. Had she rolled over sooner on her own, we would have weened her at that time. But oh my, had we not swaddled, it would have been VERY rough. Swaddling may not work for everyone, but good grief,s banning swaddling is ridiculous!

7. Michelle says:

It’s amazing how things change, even in a few years since I had my first son I’m astounded by the changes in opinions in that short time. Like Catriona, I also use the “Love to Dream” swaddle – I believe it’s the easiest thing I’ve used and I’ve road tested a few of the more innovative swaddles on the market and this was a sanity saver. It’s so easy to use and everyone in the family is able to reliably swaddle the baby, and nappy changes can be done without having to remove it. It advocates the medical research about hip problems and allows the baby to sleep in the natural arms up position. My baby has a self soothing routine of rubbing his hands over his nose and face but he’s protected from being scratched and he can suck on his hands through the fabric without getting free.
    In fact, last night I realised all the Love to Dream swaddles were all still drying on the line and only had a dirty one from the daytime. I tried putting my 4 month baby into a sleeping bag (0-6 months size) and he was completely lost – his arms were flailing everywhere and he was unable to control them in that half-sleep state. After the 4th waking I ended up putting him back into the slightly dirty swaddle and he was calm and happy again.
    I don’t usually promote products but as a mother of a very lively almost 4 year old (with dreadful sleep ability) and a 4 month old with sleeping potential, this has really made life with a new baby so so much easier. They are in sizes up to 11kg which is also great. It’s a safe, comfortable and guaranteed swaddle solution.

8. Frede M. says:

We swaddled our daughter, using both blankets and the sleep sack. After about 6 months she weaned herself successfully. Of course, we have other issues with her sleep, which are connected to her reflux (she’s now 3 going on 4), but it worked well. I, too, feel that such draconian decsions regarding what daycares should or should not do with swaddling is overkill. I’m open to hearing more about these risks associated with swaddling, but I just wonder how this all emerged in the first place. It wasn’t as if there were all these unbelievable reports of children having hip problems or an increase in SIDS related deaths in daycares. What prompted this? I think so many people are fearful of SIDS that they are willing to do whatever they can to prevent it, understandably, but as it still stands, no one has found a definitive cause, and therefore, a lot of what has been done over the years to prevent it has been speculative or intuitive, with some evidence of risks based on research. I think more needs to be focused on daycares that are understaffed and overwhelmed and can’t safely protect children and infants in other ways. Not to minimize this new concern with swaddling. I work with children and families and all too often I hear about issues that put children at risk for so much more harm in some daycare settings. By no means am I intending to put down the daycare industry – I personally use daycare for my daughter. It just always seems to me that the medical field tries to fit human culture and lifestyle into these predictable compartments, which inadvertently cause us to loose touch with our intuitive sense as caregivers when it comes to taking care of our children. There needs to be a balance that respects both time-honored practices that have worked, and emerging research that’s based on sound science and replicatability. We’re so quic as a society to react and change things without really studying something and learning from time. The cross-cultural tradition of swaddling came from centuries of observation and attunement to babies. Science can take a lesson from history and apply it to its quick need to prove and verify. If I had another child, I would continue to swaddle until I read more proven research, over time, that demonstrates a significant risk.

9. karen says:

I can’t speak to swaddling in daycare centers, but in your own home where you are only supervising your own baby, I say exercise common sense. Use a swaddle blanket with velcro (like Halo’s Sleepsack Swaddle) if you’re afraid you’re swaddling so tight that you’re restricting baby’s leg movement. Those type of blankets are loose on the bottom so baby’s legs and hips can move around as much as he wants, while keeping his arms swaddled comfortably. Know your baby – STOP SWADDLING once baby can roll over! (Duh!)

10. Michelle Kempnich says:

I’m in Australia and I get mine from this wonderful website that stocks only mum-tested and practical products