Comments

1. Kimberly says:

@ Dawn- I would take a look at the schedule Nicole posted and trying shifting your current schedule to more closely match the ones Nicole has listed here to see if that makes a difference. Also, does she still feed at night? Could it be possible she’s hungry?

@ Cayleen It sounds like she needs help learning to get back to sleep for a while longer when she wakes at 5 am. Most babies are not ready to get up at that time of day but instead need to learn or need help learning how to get back to sleep then. It could also be a schedule issue. You might consider checking out Nicole’s book on Shifting Schedules, which you can read about here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/waking-too-early/

@ Marisa- I would also advise you to really consider Nicole’s ebook on Shifting schedules to get your baby on a consistent schedule throughout the day. Don’t get discouraged and please don’t blame yourself, journaling his sleep and eating patterns, shows you really are an organized mom! Just a tired one! See more about the Schedule e-book here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/waking-too-early/

@ Ashley – YAY! So glad Nicole has been able to help you out.

@ Zoe- Sounds like you have a real go getter! But how tired you must be. I recommend taking a look at Nicole’s series on sleeping training. She does a series of posts where you can find some useful tips and ideas to help you start to sleep train your little guy. You can read the first part here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-training-from-no-cry-to-cry-series-part-1/

@ Helen- It’s great that he’s sleeping good at night! For naps, I would make sure you have a solid naptime routine and you might consider room darkening shades to help send the sleep message. You can also consider checking out Nicole’s e-book, Mastering Naps: http://www.babynapswell.com/

@ Kelly- Some babies just need or want to eat more often than others. I would just keep feeding him like you have. I don’t see that your current feeding schedule will affect his ability to start eating more solid foods.

@ Liz Are you feeding him when he wakes? He might be going through a growth spurt and a quick feed to fill him up might eliminate the long nighttime wakings. I would also recommend tracking his sleep patterns over the course of two weeks and see if you notice anything that sticks out.

2. Josephine says:

Hi,

I have a 9-month old daughter, she sleeps well but doesn’t eat much. Every bottle feeding takes 1 hour and she only takes about 15 oz of formula/day, my last feeding is usually around midnight to get to 15 oz. When it comes to solids, it is a battle too… she will only eat oatmeal (Beech Nut) with water and a little apple juice and sweet pototoes and either turkey or chicken (Beech Nut 2nd foods), doesn’t like anything else. I have tried other things but she will gag, choke and almost throw up. I can never get her eat enough food even though I spend most of my day feeding. She is only 14 lb, didn’t gain any weight since she was 6 months old. I feel like I don’t have enough hours in a day to try to feed her even more. Until just recently she was on Enfamil Nutramigen formula (for milk protein intollerance) but she didn’t like it at all, every feeding was a huge battle and it got so bad that she would only take 5 – 10 oz/day so I switched to Similac Alimentum and she seems to be doing better but still not too crazy about it… we are at around 15 – 17 oz/day, very good days are closer to 20 oz. I tried to feed her every 3 – 4 hours but it just didn’t work… if she had a few ounces of formula then 3 or 4 hours later she wouldn’t take more or wouldn’t eat solids, I had to wait a few more hours before she would eat more. So it is quite difficult to get to more feedings as she also takes 2 – 3 naps.

Her schedule:

7:15 – 8:00 wake up and bottle (feeding takes 1 hr)
    10:00 – 12:00 or 12:30 nap
    12:00/12:30 bottle (1 hr)
    13:00/13:30 cereal
    14:00 nap
    16:00 bottle
    18:00/18:30 dinner
    19:00 bedtime
    20:30/21:00 bottle (she will eat better when she is sleeping)
    Midnight – bottle (as she only takes so little formula during the day, I try to feed her at night, that’s when she feeds a little better and that’s how I can get to 15 oz or a little more).

If I try to give her more feedings (solids) in between, she will not eat, she just never seems to be hungry. Even if I skip her midnight feeding, she is fine with it and she is still not crazy about her bottle in the morning… if she wakes up earlier, she will just lay in her crib and suck on her thumb until I go to get her. It is great that she sleeps well as my first one would nurse all night and never sleep until she was 16 months old, until then I only got about 1 uninterrupted hour of sleep every night. So my second one is definitely better when it comes to sleep but she doesn’t want to eat much, every feeding takes so long and it is a battle. Specialist, doctors, etc., they all say that she is just a very fussy baby but doesn’t help much as she is not even in the chart at this point and not gaining any weight at all. Until there is some serious problem or it gets too bad, no one seems to do anything… then they just put a baby in a category of “failure to thrive”… it is very frustrating.

I would really appreciate if you could help me with a better schedule that would work for us.

• Kimberly says:

@Josephine- It’s certainly good news that she is sleeping well and not fussing or crying too much when she wakes. Sounds like a tough situation for sure with the feedings and that you’ve tried specialists and doctors. It doesn’t sound so much like a schedule problem as much as it is a feeding/eating problem. Not sure where you are located, but have you tried talking to a Naturopath? They might have some ideas or remedies that you might find helpful. Hang in there!

3. Dawn says:

Hi,

We live in a 1 bedroom apartment and we share a room with our 91/2 month old, since 2 months shes slept through the night. Just over the past month or so shes been waking up 2-3 times a night, and were not sure what to do. she can see us so its harder to let her cry it out, we trired leaving the room and sleeping in our living room, were just not sure what else we can do! can you help us out please?

this is her schedule

6 am wake up & bottle
    7 am nap
    9 am breakfasat & bottle
    12 pm Lunch
    1pm nap
    2:30 pm bottle
    5 pm dinner
    6:30 bottle
    7pm bedtime

4. Cayleen says:

Hi There
    My daughter is just over nine months old and no matter if I keep her up a little later at night or skip her 16H00 nap she insists on waking up at 05h00 in the morning. I have also tried changing her napping times during the day but she gets exhuasted if I dont stick to her old routines. She is waking at 05h00, naps from 08h00 to 09h00, again from 12h00 to 13h00 and then has another quick one from 16h00 till 16h45. Her bedtime is inbetween 18h30 and 19h00. So all in all everything is fine apart from that 05h00 wake up call every morning. I also have a 3 year old and she is also woken up at the crack of dawn. Any advice on how I can get her to stretch it out till atleast 06h00.

5. Marisa says:

Nicole, I feel like a totally disorganized beginner mom. I accomplished having my baby sleep 8-10hrs at night from 3-5 months until he started teething. Since then he wakes up 1-3 times. He now has 4 teeth and turns 9 mos on March 4th. I’ve been journaling his sleeping and eating patterns for 3 days and have found I have little discipline… this frustrates me and makes me feel guilty for being so disorganized.
    My baby wakes up at different hours, ranging from 6-9AM!! Sometimes he wants to drink his formula, sometimes he has no interest at all. Thus, he eats breakfast at diff hrs- from 8-9am. The only routines are an AM and PM snacks at 11AM and 5PM, and going to the baby gym at 10AM 3x per week with mommy.
    Daddy comes home at 8PM so we eat dinner at 7PM and start the sleeping routine after dinner, aiming to have him asleep by 8PM, but sometimes this doesn’t happen til 9PM. He sleeps best when he takes 1 long nap (1.5 hrs) and 1 short one (30 min), but I have no idea how to start organizing my life and being disciplined! Please help me on how to take the first step!

6. Ashley says:

as a first time mama, i’ve bin following your sample schedules since my daughter was 5 months, i share the same views as you so i thought it was appropriate to try them out! she is now 9, and you’ve helped me out so much, and i am at peace of mind with my baby’s health. thanks!

7. Zoe says:

Hi my son is approaching 9 months old and for the past 2 months we have been experiencing increasing problems with getting him to sleep through the night, he wakes around 8 times each night and will only fall back to sleep if held! I dont like to keep him crying at night as he wakes his 3yr old sister. During the day he will nap if rocked in his pushchair or held but generally only naps around 3 times per day for about 15-20 mins. I gather my problems stem from him being over tired at night and also his constant need of cuddles!! I am begging for some advice on how to deal with this and to changes our learnt behaviours. I am now a complete sleep depreived walking zombie!!! he eats well, and looks like he will soon be attempting to walk, hes very healthy and active he just wont sleep!
    Zoe

8. helen says:

Hi, I have a newly turned 9 month old who sleeps great through the night. 7:30 to 6am. He has dropped his 3 nap a month ago and was fine with his 9:30-11 am nap and his 3-4:30pm nap until a week ago.

At 5/6 months we did CIO with a sleep trainer and he never cried that hard so it was kinda easy.

But…..
    Now since he started crawling and talking more he screams/cries and plays/talks for an hour or more before sleeping for his naps (not nighttime sleep 😉 and, I dont feel as comfortable with letting him CIO anymore. I know when babes hit fun milestones this tends to be the case but I just dont know what to do.

When he is visibly tired showing the signs I put him in his crib for his naps.

He eats perfectly and is just perfect except for this. we follow super foods too.

I find myself growing a migraine and clenching my teeth when nap time approaches now.

9. Kelly Hancock says:

My 8 month old wakes up from 7:00-9:00. He goes to bed between 7 and 9 at night. He sleeps all night, but I can’t seem to get to him eat every 4 hours.. he is more like 2-3 hours. He has been since he was born. He does not care for water that much. Naps at not the problem either. He takes 2 30 min to an hour naps. He eats cearal and 6 oz formula for breakfast, then has a bottle in there, then lunch 2 jars of food with 6 oz formula. some puffs for snack and some juice in a cup, then a stage 3 jar for dinner with 6 oz forumla, then off to bed. He is not a fat baby. He is on track going by the doctor. but would like to get him ready for table foods, because he has 6 teeth already and cutting 2 more. What can I do it hold him to atleast 3 and half hours.
    Thanks,
    Kelly

10. Liz says:

Hi there, My son has just turned 9 months. He is on a good schedule of bottles at 8, 12, 3, 6, 7:45 with full meals at 8,12, and 6. He takes two naps a day at 10 and 2 (but they vary in length, at day care from 30 minutes to 1 hour, at home a bit longer). And he gets sleepy around 5 pm, but will rarely take a nap (unless in the car or in a rocking chair). He has no trouble going to sleep at 8pm, and on a good night will sleep until 6:30 or 7am. He has been sleeping pretty well since 3 months. The trouble is for the last month+ he has nights where he wakes up around midnight (not every night, about 3 times a week). And he’s awake. Wide awake for about 2 hours. I get up and rock him, he is calm, just eyes glued open, and if we put him back down he is awake and will cry about 10 minutes later (standing up in his crib). And around 2am when we’re going crazy and certain we’re up all night, he falls into a deep sleep. Other things that might be of interest, he’s in day care and it’s winter, so he’s always got minor snuffles, he’s teething, and he’s active crawler etc during the day. What’s weird about this too is that he usually has a good night, then next night is bad, and say on. So I know he can sleep. Please help. Thanks!!!!!