Comments

1. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Allison W — at first glance, your schedule looks okay to me. I will say that the nap seems a little on the early side – have you tried moving that back at all? Maybe starting it at noon or 12:30, and seeing if that makes a difference?

Another idea would be to not fight the early waking, but to give her some options to entertain herself when she wakes. Maybe make some board books and small toys available to her and encouraging her to play quietly when she wakes. (Just be sure that if you do this, you VERY CAREFULLY toddler-proof her bedroom. This includes bolting any heavy furniture to the wall).

You could also try a specialized toddler clock – these are clocks that help a toddler know when it’s time to stay in bed, and when it’s time to wake up. We like the Zazoo clock ourselves – find it here: https://amzn.to/1cphiuf. Basically, this clock would show her when it’s nighttime (and therefore time to stay in bed and play quietly) and when it’s morning (and therefore okay to get up and move around).

Sticker charts can also help with early rising — maybe institute a policy that every morning she stays in her room playing quietly and not calling for you, she gets to put a sticker on her chart. So many stickers = a small reward.

Hope this helps! 🙂 Thanks for commenting.

@ Ericka — yes, I’d agree temperament is the factor here. Frustrating, because there’s not anything you can do to change temperament! You can just work with what you have. When she’s a bit older, if this is still a problem, you can try some of the tactics I mention in the comment above. But you may need to wait until she’s 18 months or older before some of those will be effective.

Thanks for replying, Ericka! 🙂

@ Diana – hard to say for sure…I can tell you that 5:30 is way too early for bedtime, so avoid that route. Bedtime at 6:30 may be okay, but you do run the risk of an earlier wake-up time the next morning…

You could try moving back the second nap of the day, so that it’s happening a little later in the afternoon. Then, you could stick with the 7:00 p.m. bedtime. Something to consider, maybe?

Thanks for commenting, Diana! 🙂

2. Diana says:

Help! My 9 month old goes to bed between 6:30 PM and 7:00 PM with no feedings during the night. He wakes up anywhere from 5:30 AM to 7 AM for the day (it isn’t hunger – I guess it just depends on whether or not he falls back asleep if he wakes up prior to the above times). He just recently “retired” his third nap (about two weeks ago or so). His first two naps range from 30 to 90 minutes. On the days where one of his naps is 30 minutes, his last wake up time is roughly 1:30 PM. On those days, he refuses to take a cat nap before bed (I try during the 4:00 PM hour). So my question is, do I put him to bed at his regular 7 PM bedtime, do I put to him to bed four hours after he wakes up from his second nap (5:30 PM?) or do I put him to bed say a half hour earlier(6:30 PM). Thank you so much in advance!

3. Ericka says:

Emily, I don’t breast feed her anymore. I agree with you, it has to be her temperament. She naps once during the day for 2hrs or less–this changes too.she’s been so much better lately, but I am sure it could chanfe at any time. Thank you so much 🙂

4. Allison W says:

My 26 month old has recently started to wake up between 5:00am and 5:45am. She was a very good sleeper up until this last week, always up at 6:30am or later on the weekends. Her routine has been at 8:00pm, go upstairs, get into PJ’s, read a story or two and then lights out, which is about 8:15/8:20. I don’t know why she has all of a sudden started to wake up now between 5:20am and 5:40am? She also has one nap a day that starts about 11:00am and goes no later than 1 hour to 2 hours. When she does wake up early I try to make it as boring as possible for her by not engaging in conversation with her, telling her “Shhhh, sleepy time.” when she starts to talk, keeping her in bed with no music/TV until about 6:45am to 7:00am. An earlier bedtime does not work as that wakes her early too and was why we switched to 8:00pm. My question is am I doing the right thing by trying to keep it boring for her? She wants to watch TV, but that isn’t going to happen. Should I get her White Noise machine out again and try that too? Or is this just a brief phase due to a growth spurt or some sort of development? TIA

5. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Magda – okay, that’s not excessively late or anything. Good question about dropping the nap…you could try skipping it one day and offering an earlier bedtime, and see what that does to night sleep. You may be right, that she’s ready to stop the nap. At any rate, it’s worth a try, at least! 🙂

Thanks, Magda!

@ Tom — is this new behavior? If so, then I’d chalk it up to the regression that happens around 8/9/10 months. You can read about that here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/8-9-10-month-old-baby-sleep-regression/ If this is a persistent problem, though, then it might be that he needs a simple schedule shift. We have a resource that’s just for schedule shifting – check it out here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-waking-too-early/

Hope these resources help, Tom! Thanks for commenting 🙂

6. Tom says:

Hello. My son tends to wake up either 4:00 AM or 5:00 AM and just talks to himself until he falls back asleep (sometimes up to 45-50 minutes!). He then wakes up later than he would normally wake up had he not woken up so early. Is this normal for his age? He does not wake up due to hunger or household noises. He is 9 months old. He does NOT do well when I wake him up at his normal wake-up time (6 to 6:30 AM). Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

7. Magda says:

The nap is usually around 1pm but sometimes she won’t fall asleep till 1.30 or even 2pm. I try to have her up by 3.

8. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Magda — good question! A 1-2 hour nap isn’t excessive for a 3 year old, but 8.5 – 9 hours of sleep is a bit on the short side. That could be due to the fact, as you mention, that she simply has lower sleep needs than the ‘average’ 3 year old.

Here’s a question, though — what’s the timing of that nap? It could be that the nap is happening too late in the day, and is messing with night sleep for that reason.

9. Magda says:

Hi. My daughter will be 3 in about 5 weeks. She still naps without a problem for 1-2 hours a day and I feel like she needs it, but it’s cutting down her night-time sleep. She will sometimes only sleep 8.5-9 hours per night. 9.5-10 is a good night these days. Should I drop the nap? I’m a bit hesitant as her sleep can easily be thrown off by changes such as these. She seems ok most of the time with the sleep she’s getting, but on the odd occasion she skipped the nap she slept 11 hrs overnight. She has always slept a bit less than her peers regardless of hard hard I have tried to change it! She has also always been a bit inconsistent eg will sleep 12 hours in total for a couple of weeks and then switch to 10-11 in total for a couple of weeks. She also has a tendency to wake early in the morning (5am when she was younger, 6am now) but will often go for a couple of weeks waking later eg 7am. I have never been able to wrok out how to get her to be more consistent.

10. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Mariela Argueta — have you seen our sample sleep and feeding schedules before? You can find all of them here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-feeding-schedules/ Click on the link for the 8 month schedule to see our suggestions. 🙂

Thanks for commenting, Mariela! 🙂