Comments

1. Katie Treon says:

My two boys 1 and almost 3 have always shared a room. They are both great sleepers! The almost 3 year old just started climbing out of his crib and will go into his brothers crib and wake him up. He’s also been staying up later then normal the last few nights and fighting bedtime which is new to us! We are in the process of getting ready to move in about 5 weeks, what do I do?! Do I convert his crib to a toddler bed, how will that work with a newly one year old?

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Katie Treon, thank you for writing to us! I’m sorry you are having these sleep changes shortly before you are moving too! It can be hard to spring change on kids all at once and the move might provide setbacks, but it may be wise to transition him to a toddler bed since climbing out could be dangerous! I personally have my 2 boys in the same room as well, and one is in a bed and the other is in a crib, and it’s worked fine for us, although my older son is not much of a climber so I’ve never been in your exact situation. I would have a conversation with your 3 year old letting him know it is unsafe for him to climb into his brothers crib. Here is a link for tips on toddler sleep that may give you some ideas to help implement the things you discuss with him: https://www.babysleepsite.com/toddler-sleep-tips
      I hope that helps but let us know if you have more questions. Good luck with your move!

2. Vaishali Danthuluri says:

My 4 year old and 1.5 year old are sharing a room. My older one has always been a perfect sleeper! My younger one hasn’t really slept through the night but they started off perfectly sleeping through the night for 3 weeks. The last week or so, my 1.5 keeps waking up at odd hours and I’ve let her cry for 10 mins or even up to 50! But she won’t go back to bed. My son sometimes tells her it’ll
    Be ok and tells her to sleep. But she doesn’t listen of course. What do I do?! It’s disturbing my sons sleep:(! He’s such a good sleeper, I hope I’m not ruining his sleeping habits:(

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Vaishali Danthuluri, thank you for writing to us. I recently transitioned my boys (similar ages as yours) into the same room, and it can be tricky. I’m still new to it myself and we’ve already had our fair share of hiccups. One thing that’s really helped us is loud white noise so it drowns out some of the talking even though they are so close to each other. The other thing to consider is that 18 months often brings a lot of changes developmentally in the child, which affects sleep. Here is a link to an article explaining what factors may be at play here for your daughter: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/why-18-month-sleep-regression-can-be-hardest/
      If things don’t go back to normal soon, or if you simply want a quicker solution now, you may consider working with one of our sleep consultants! They’d love to walk through this with you and help you through this transition and will provide specific advise for your daughter and how to balance this new sleep situation. Here is a link to more information about the various levels of support we offer: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-toddler-sleep-consulting- services/
      If you have more questions, please let us know! We are always here to help. 🙂

3. Super mom says:

My 9 year old and my 7 year old share a room but they keep chatting but my 7 year old can’t shate whith my 1 year old what should I do

• Debbye @ The Baby Sleep Site says:

Hey @Super Mom! Thanks for writing to us! Room sharing can certainly be a challenge at times, but hopefully the chatting sessions are short lived and both are sleeping well soon! Consistency is key in setting limits and expectations, and perhaps you can move the beds further apart, or try to otherwise “separate” the room a bit to discourage the late night talks? Encouraging them to sleep can be helped with positive reinforcement when they do close their eyes (or mouths) at the set time too. I hope this helps, and good luck!

4. Rachel says:

My girls 8 and 4 have shared a room for 3 years now and its getting harder not easier. My 4 year old chatters and chatters and dosnt seem bothered about any consequences i give. Ive tried seperate bedtimes for each of them but she will stay awake until the eldest goes to bed. Does not matter what time she gets up on a morning, she dosnt have naps, she is always on the go and is still sometimes awake until 10/11pm chatting or getting in and out if bed. Any advise on what else i can try?

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Rachel, thanks for writing! I am so sorry to hear you’ve been struggling with this. I also have a super chatty 4 year old who’s about to share a room and I’m pretty nervous myself! Here is a link to download a free guide with tips for toddler sleep (I know she’s preschool aged but this article for sure is inclusive of that as well): https://www.babysleepsite.com/toddler-sleep-tips
      Something I’ve found that works with my son as he’s getting older is instead of giving a consequence, is to motivate him by a reward instead. The article I linked outlines a sticker chart, which is just one fairly simple idea that may work. Or if she has ___ amount of nights where she goes to bed without talking she can have a certain toy, or treat, etc. Of course that won’t go on forever but would hopefully encourage her to see the value in obeying and she’ll come to enjoy the extra hours of sleep! I hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out if you can or if you need anything else!

5. Jade says:

A friend and I started being roommates in a three bedroom place. He has one room, I have one room and we planned to put both our daughters in the third room. The only problem is his daughter is about 1year old and my daughter is a little older than 1 1/2 year old. It’s kind of a small room and we tried it for a few nights but they just wake each other up. When I say wake each other up I mean one wakes up and cries but doesn’t wake the other until she falls asleep, then the other one wakes up and she cries but doesn’t wake the other one up and then she falls back asleep. It continues all night long so we have separated one in the room and one in the living room until we can figure something out to try and room them together a better way. Any helpful tips are extremely appreciated to make this hopefully work.

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Jade, thank you for writing to us. I’m sorry that you and your roommate have been struggling with your daughter’s night waking. Sharing a room will definitely take time to navigate so along with the tips from the article, you both may find downloading our free guide on helping your baby sleep through the night will be beneficial. They are both at an age (unless there are health reasons otherwise) that they should be able to sleep through the night, just may take a bit of work. Here is a link to download the guide: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-through-night-free-ebook/
      Additionally, if they were sleeping well before moving in together, it could also be an adjustment period, or one is hearing the other moving during sleep? If you don’t yet, you may decide to add in some white noise so that they can’t hear the other one waking.
      Hang in there, it is possible! If you need more help with this, we’d love to help you guys further, please just email us directly at contact@babysleepsite.com and we can point you in the direction of more resources.