Are you tired of one-size-fits-all advice? Yes! I need a personalized sleep solution.

Comments

1. Tracey C says:

Oh yes I know this well and I am glad to know it actually has a name! People drove me crazy questioning why I found it hard to sleep even though my daughter was sleeping.

To give you an idea of how much this can affect you….

We are breaking the lease on our current apartment to move to a new place where our gorgeous baby girl (8 months) will have her own room and my husband and I can be back in the same comfy bed together.

Monitor is on ‘mute’ at night. We are also changing to a video monitor so we can just look at a visual picture and then put the worries to sleep.

We won’t stay in a normal hotel room now on holidays….we vowed from now on we will rent apartments where we can relax in another room and give our daughter the space and place she needs to sleep…… This was after a Xmas AND an Easter holiday where we barely slept and we spent most nights sitting in the corridor of a hotel! We literally snuck in later and crept into bed without changing clothes or brushing teeth. Thankfully this often works out as a cheaper option anyway.

It’s so comforting to know I am not alone!

2. Taylor says:

I can absolutely relate! With my second child I did not sleep but maybe an hour or two for a solid week after she was born. It was a nightmare especially since she was a great sleeper from the start and not at all colicky like my first. For months after that I lived on a few hours a night bc I just couldn’t sleep (certainly anxiety played a part). A few months postpartum I had my hormones checked and found out I was super low in progesterone. I started using progesterone cream when i finished nursing (around 10 months) for the second half of my cycle (which is when my sleep was the worst) and I’ve been sleeping like a dream since. This is what I used at different times with great success while nursing though….melatonin, 5HTP, magnesium (transdermal applied to my skin before bed), and calcium supplements. When I was done nursing I started using the progesterone cream and it made an even bigger difference in overall quality. I also use lavender (essential oil) on the bottoms of my feet and on my wrists every night now. I wish I had known about the lavender before while i was nursing bc it is AMAZING!! Great for kids too! Hope this helps someone!! 🙂

3. Keri says:

Thank you for sharing this information and for defining the problem I’ve been having for so long!! It’s nice to know I’m not the only mom suffering from insomnia and PPD. The insomnia started during pregnancy, which is noted in all the pregnancy books as a result of hormones. But NO ONE EVER talks about AFTER!! I would rather deal with pregnancy than this! I remember not being able to sleep from the moment my pregnancy test was positive. Then I ended up going on bedrest at 20 weeks for a total of 4 months and sleep was awful. At birth, my son had colic and reflux so I never slept. Now, finally, my son is 11mo and is starting to sleep better, but i still continue my pattern of being up from 2/3 am to 5am, tossing and turning. some nights are ok, some are horrible. My husband and i just got back from a 4 night vacation, and would you believe i STILL DID NOT SLEEP WELL AT ALL!!! I believe our bodies get adjusted to the up-all-night newborn business and we just never are the same after!

4. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Heather — ha! That last line made me smile. 🙂 I’m with you; I’ve had to accept the fact that I’ll never again sleep like I did before I had kids. I think part of this is just age, too; my doctor assured me that as we get older, we need less and less sleep to function. Fingers crossed that he’s right about that! 😉

Thanks for commenting, Heather, and for sharing a bit about your experience!

5. Heather says:

Hah – yes, after multiple trips to multiple doctors (including a psychologist who specialized in sleep disorders related to anxiety) and trying multiple medications, I finally decided to just accept the fact that I wasn’t going to sleep like I did before I had a kid. I do use white noise and the monitor is off at night.

I still use a prescription sleep medicine a couple nights a month if sleep gets very scarce, but it seems like my body and mind finally adjusted to feeling OK on 6-7 hours of sleep, typically with 30-60 minute wake-up somewhere in the middle. According to one of my doctors, that’s the way the cavemen slept anyway 🙂

6. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Katie B — I still use earplugs sometimes, when I’m feeling especially restless. They’re a huge help! And I had a similar feeling to yours — it was like I needed to know that there was no possible way I’d hear ANYTHING. That was the only way I could actually fall asleep. I think the anxiety of “Will he cry soon? Is he about to cry?” was one of the things that made it so hard for me to sleep.

Thanks for sharing, Katie! 🙂

@ psychsarah — I ended up ditching my monitor, too! I think I used it for about 3 nights with my first son before I decided it was ridiculous to have a monitor right next to my ear when the actual baby was only about 15 feet away! And that helped me a lot, too. I love your point about using a monitor with both lights and sound; that seems that it would make a big difference, in being able to differentiate real cries from phantom cries.

And BIG ditto on the co-sleeping. I had my son in my room with me for a day or two, and I just couldn’t handle it. Every sound woke me up. I came to the conclusion that some people are more “wired” for co-sleeping than others, and I just wasn’t one of them. 😉

Thanks for sharing a bit about your experience, sarah!

7. psychsarah says:

A simple thing that really helped me was to turn off the baby monitor! I would hear every single little movement, and it had me awake all night! I had one that had lights and sounds, and my son was just across the hall (steps away really) so if I thought I heard something, I could see the lights light up, and if it was a phantom noise, no lights, I’d go back to sleep. I had really wanted to co-sleep for at least 6 months, as recommended, but I was literally NOT sleeping all night for about 5 weeks when my mom finally convinced me to try him one night in his room, so I could rest. It made a huge difference. I hate to speak against co-sleeping, as I have read so many benefits, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do cope.

8. Katie B. says:

I was so surprised after my son was born, that I could not sleep. Everyone tells you to sleep when the baby sleeps, but I would just toss and turn, and couldn’t relax myself. I did have PP Depression/Anxiety on top of that (or those cause the insomnia). It took a while, and I ended up needing some medication to help. I would need to use earplugs, so I would know that I could not hear him cry, and I would need to know that someone else would get him. It was hard, and like pp depression, something not many people talk about, but should.

9. Emily DeJeu says:

@ brittnie — I feel you! My youngest is 2 now, and I’ve found that I still don’t sleep as soundly as I did before I had kids. The full-on postnatal insomnia is gone at this point, but it’s still rare for me to sleep 8 hours straight, without waking at least once.

Thanks for tip on the Bluebonnet chewables; that’ll be helpful for other moms who are looking for natural remedies.

Thanks for commenting, brittnie! 🙂

10. brittnie says:

Oh my goodness this is so me. I don’t necessarily worry that I won’t hear my daughter cry, but I wake up every night at 3 or 3:30am and can’t go back to sleep. So frustrating when my daughter sleeps soundly all night! My lactation consultant recommended taking 2,000 mg of the Bluebonnet chewable B12 (natural, safe for B-feeding moms). I have been doing that for a while and (most nights) I notice a difference. I found it at Whole Foods.