Comments

1. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Landon — Bummer on having to get up in the middle of the night to change him! So the diaper booster pad won’t take him all the way through until morning, then? Maybe he needs a diaper + a booster pad + some kind of waterproof wrap, like the Kushies that @Amanda mentions… Of course, by that point, his little bum might outweigh the rest of him! 😉

@ Joanne — thanks for mentioning the nighttime pull-ups! Those can be GREAT for bigger toddlers and preschoolers who are wetting through at night.

2. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Amanda — thanks for tossing out this product recommendation! We love first-hand recommendations on products like these. So helpful to other parents 🙂

For those who might be interested, here’s the Kushies link: http://www.kushiesonline.com/Kushies-Diaper-Wraps-and-Liners-s/241.htm

@ Danielle — I’d say that as long as that nighttime feeding isn’t causing regular, major diaper leaks, then you can probably continue on with it as normal. But if leaky diapers are becoming a regular (and disruptive!) thing each night, then you might want to make that feed happen a bit earlier and then do a diaper change right before bed. You could always sub that before-bed with some extra story/cuddle time.

3. kelly says:

We use a size 4 overnight diaper with an insert in it, with a size 5 regular diaper over the top of that! Finally found a combination that he can’t leak through.

4. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Jennifer — the “double up” strategy! Good tip. Thanks for sharing 🙂

@ Alison — interesting! Glad to hear this approach has paid off for your family. And extra glad to hear that your little guy will be out of his nappies soon. Bet none of you will miss those much!

Thanks for commenting, Alison!

5. Joanne says:

We found nighttime pullups is the only thing that works for our toddler/preschooler. He still wet through the nighttime diapers. I’m thinking I would like to try the diaper inserts.

6. Landon Figg says:

I’ve been using a booster pad on our 23 month old boy for 6 months now. He is so skinny and little that going up a diaper size wasn’t practical. They seem to have solved the wet bed problem; however I still must get up to change him at midnight or 1am or he and the bed will be wet. He drinks water all day but he plays hard all day too. Plus he doesn’t like the feeling of being wet and will wake up saying “Charlie soaked”. My little parrot.

7. Danielle says:

I still nurse my 14month old, and usually give him a feeding right before bedtime as part of our routine. Should I start doing this earlier?

8. Amanda says:

I use the Kushies diaper wraps over his diaper. Works like a charm!

9. Alison says:

My three year old started waking up with a wet bed every night. We were really confused as we always made sure he didn’t drink anything at least an hour before bed and we always put him on the toilet last thing before he went to sleep. He was also on the largest nappy size available. The only thing I could think of was that since toilet-training in the day, he had become very intimate with his intimates! I wondered if he was putting his hands in his nappy at night and moving it around as it was never full, but it was leaking. He was wearing pull-ups at the time, so I went back to basics and bought some ‘normal’ nappies (ones with tabs) as I thought they might stop him getting his hands down his nappy. I told him they would stop him going to the toilet in the night. Sure enough, the combination of something new and the suggestion that he wouldn’t need to wee changed the situation overnight. In fact, he decided to toilet train himself at night and most days doesn’t go until he gets up in the morning. He’s back in the pull-ups at the moment, because they make him feel safe, but I am sure he’ll be out of the nappies completely within a couple of months. Perseverence and consistency. Works every time.

10. Jennifer says:

We started using two nighttime diapers, and went up a size so he is at the lower end of the diaper weight limit and that seems to have helped immensely. He is no longer wet in the morning. He used to soak through the diaper, sleeper, and sleep sack.