Are you tired of one-size-fits-all advice? Yes! I need a personalized sleep solution.

Comments

1. Mary-Ellen says:

My baby sleeps with her arms swaddled up in blanket (superman swaddle) and then with SwaddleMe on top. We did this because she seemed like she always wanted her arms by her face. She was sleeping 10-12 hours a night. Now, she has reverted to 4-5 hours if we’re lucky to feed then goes back down for 4-5 hours. We were doing sleep training, and she was beginning to fall asleep on her own, but things have now gotten so much worse. She screams bloody murder for at least a half hour total almost every time. I’m at my wits end and don’t know what to do. Any advice?

• Janelle Reid says:

@Mary-Ellen, thank you for writing! You didn’t mention her age so it is hard to say for sure what is going on, as there can be several contributing factors to her resisting sleep. If you have just started the sleep training process, it will likely get better soon. Additionally, if you are doing a crying method, we would generally say that 10 minutes of crying may be needed for her to fall asleep. Here’s an article with more information on that: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/baby-crying-sleep/
      We also have sample schedules on our site available for you to look through to see if there is just a timing issue that could be resolved that way. You can view the schedules here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-feeding-schedules/
      I hope this helps and you see an improvement on her sleep soon! Thanks for using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource for sleep help!

2. Sasha says:

Thanks for sharing this. It was taking my baby such a long time to settle to sleep at night in the first few weeks that my mother suggested swaddling. It definitely helped but I found I had to change the swaddling method a couple of times as she would escape the blanket during the night. The best strategy I found was to use the Miracle Blanket. I owe a couple of weeks of improved sleep to that product! We stopped swaddling altogether around 2 and a half months.
    Sasha = > http://www.bilinguababy.com

• Janelle Reid says:

@Sasha, thanks for writing and sharing your experience with us – we love the miracle blanket too!

3. Daniel says:

WHY??!!
    Every article I read about babies it doesn’t matter what is about people are writing..”HER or SHE..” why??!!!!!
    There are girls and boys not only girls !! And when you write you should use as IT !!! Or BABY !!!

• Janelle Reid says:

@Daniel, Thank you for your comment! I am sorry you are frustrated by our articles and the others out there that appear to be written to just a girl or a boy. We decided to do this because it feels a little more personal than referring to the baby as just “the baby” or “it”. We do try to switch them up on our articles so we have a variety of articles using “his” and “hers”. 🙂 I remember thinking the same thing when I was pregnant for the first time and reading on the app about my baby’s development saying “she is the size of a watermelon” and I knew I was having a boy. I just switched it in my mind, but understand the frustration! Thanks for your feedback and for visiting!

4. Amber says:

Someone commented that they didn’t understand the point of swaddling and even that it was cruel. Babies enjoy the swaddle because in the womb when they kick and stretch they are able to feel their edges, so in addition to the startle reflex, they are uncomfortable and fearful of the space. The swaddle helps provide the familiarity of the feeling they’ve been used to. You can then gradually introduce them to the free space as you remove the swaddle. It’s a great way to ease them into the world so to speak.

• Janelle Reid says:

@Amber, thank you for your comment and input on this discussion!

5. Kimberlee says:

Woops! Forgot to request email notification for replies 🙂

6. Kimberlee says:

We have used Halo asleep sacks to swaddle our son successfully for the last 3.5 months. However, tonight I found him rolled over on his stomach. Clearly it is time to transition from the swaddle. My question is this: in transitioning, do I start with one arm free (is that safe?) or does he need both arms free immediately if he can roll over? I’d like to make this transition as smooth as possible as I am one tired mama! Thank you!
    Kimberlee

• Emily DeJeu says:

@ Kimberlee – I’d say that if he’s rolling onto his stomach, then you want to get his arms free ASAP, and stop swaddling. I wouldn’t necessarily worry about rolling him back onto his back each time, as research indicates that a child who’s able to roll onto his belly is likely able to sleep on his belly safely. However, you definiltey don’t want to leave him swaddled if he’s on his tummy. I’d go to both arms out and see how that goes.

Hope this helps! Thanks for commenting. 🙂

7. Polina says:

My girl is almost 7 months and was swaddled from hospital as she wouldn’t settle otherwise. We stopped swaddling just a few weeks ago. She started rolling at 3.5 months and we tried to stop right away with a Merlin suit but it was a disaster. She was never a great sleeper and without a tight swaddle she was a mess. She just was not ready. After reading Dr. Karp saying some babies need to be swaddled until 9 months we went back to swaddling . The fact that she never actually rolled swaddled gave me comfort plus I slept next to her crib so could turn her back if needed. Just before she turned 6 months I could tell she was no longer comfortable in a swaddle, she couldn’t turn how she wanted and it affected her sleep. We did a sloth approach and used a convertible swaddle inside a Zipadeezip taking out one arm at a time. She had maybe 2 nights of adjustment (not bad at all) and now back to sleeping as well as she did in a swaddle.

And to the lady who says she can’t understand why the swaddling still happens. I’m a first time mom and never set out to swaddle, but every baby is born different and has a different temperament. You are lucky your kids could sleep without swaddling, mine couldn’t and I had to help her.

• Emily DeJeu says:

@ Polina – Thanks so much for sharing your viewpoint! Reading lots of diverse opinions on and stories about a particular topic is so helpful, and I love that that’s just what we’re getting with this article! Also – so glad to hear about your success with the Zipadee-Zip! We love those!

Thanks for commenting, Polina!

8. Anna says:

I honestly don’t understand why swaddling is even still occurring. I have never swaddled my children and I am SO GLAD I refused to be pushed into it by a number of oeople who thought they knew better than me. Each to their own but in my opinion it’s cruel to swaddle. The argument that it recreates the space they have in the uterus is absurd. Think about what babies do in our stomachs? They kick. They move their arms around. To then swaddle babies that are learning to move around is setting up for dangerous situations (as demonstrated clearly by a lady’s experience above). Babies should be allowed to move around freely, no be confined to a swaddle. Yes, it’s only limited experience but my experience us definitely that while the reflexes may cause wake ups for a period it soon gets better. In Scandinavian countries swaddling hasn’t been done since the 50s basically. Says a lot I think.

• Emily DeJeu says:

@ Anna – interesting about the cultural differences in Scandinavia with regards to swaddling, as opposed to elsewhere in the world! There’s actually been a resurgence of swaddling in the U.S., thanks to Dr. Harvey Karp’s Happiest Baby on the Block book. And it really is a great way to provide soothing for a newborn. However, you’re right that swaddling can present safety issues, particularly if you’re still swaddling a baby who has learned to roll over – that’s a big no-no! Additionally, for some families, the swaddle becomes a sleep association that you then have to gradually wean baby away from, so in that sense, it can end up causing as many problems down the road as it solved in the first few weeks after birth 😉

In the end, it’s about doing what we individual mums know is best for our little ones, I think. Thanks for commenting, Anna!

9. Tamie says:

Starting at 4 months, we tried to gradually wean our little guy. He wasn’t ready. We kept attempting every few weeks …to no avail.

Christmas Eve he came down with a cold (he was then just over 6 months old). Quickly realising he wasn’t going to sleep well (or at all) due to his fever and stuffy nose, we took that opportunity to quit the swaddle/sleep sac cold turkey.

A week later, the cold was gone. He slept soundly through the night shortly after he decongested. It’s almost as if he never realised the sac was gone!

• Emily DeJeu says:

@ Tamie – Awesome story! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us 🙂

10. Julie says:

We had to cold turkey stop swaddling when our baby got the Doc Band (he couldn’t be allowed to get hot, no socks, swaddles, etc allowed). Luckily he didn’t have his “slap myself” reflex anymore.

• Emily DeJeu says:

@ Julie – thanks for sharing your story with us!