Comments

1. Susan says:

My son is now 10 1/2 months old. When he was 5 months he was taking 3 naps consistently. When he was about 7 months he just naturally got rid of the third nap – which was a short catnap at around 5pm. Until he was about 9 months it was GREAT! 2 consistent naps each of at least 1-11/2 hours long!
    After he turned 9 months, however, his naps have been a challenge again. He was taking 1-2 hours to go down for his afternoon nap! He’s in his crib and usually just playing/babbling not crying. Sometimes he’ll poo and I’ll have to change him, but after the 1-2 hours of chill time he’ll fall asleep for at least 1 hour. The morning nap was always reliable and consistent. In order to preserve the afternoon nap I was cutting his morning nap shorter (45mins) but now he’s struggles with both naps! He’s taking at least 20-30 mins to go down in the morning and he’s still taking 1-2 hours in the afternoon! Sometimes he doesn’t wind up sleeping at all in the morning.
    At bedtime he falls asleep between 6:30-7:00pm usually and doesn’t wake up til 5-6am.
    Do you think he’s transitioning to 1 nap? Should I keep him up through the morning and try to have him go to sleep only once?
    What do you think?

2. Angela says:

My son was always a “catnapper”, but since he slept well at night I just did what I could during the day. Up until 8 months he did great with 3 short (40-60 minutes) naps, going to bed about 7/7:30 and sleeping through until about 6:30. Then one day at about 8 months old he just wouldn’t take his 3rd nap. He didn’t cry, didn’t fight it, he just WOULD NOT sleep. For several days we tried rocking him to sleep, moving the nap a little later, simply leaving him in the crib for an hour, and instead of sleep he would just play and entertain himself. We finally realized he was trying to tell us something, and now at 10 months he takes 2 good naps (1-2 hours each) a day.

3. Michelle says:

My daughter is now 9 months old but when she was 6 months old she used to take 3 naps a day. One in the morning, afternoon and then a 30 min. power nap around dinner time. I enjoyed those power naps as it allowed my husband and I 30 min. to eat dinner if I timed it right!

4. Sonia says:

My son takes 3 naps but he is such a bad napper. 30 mins tops and then he needs me to rock him back to sleep. At night after around 2/3am he is up every hour. How can I help him sleep longer? He is rocked to sleep and I think that is the root problem for naps and night time.

5. Grechen says:

Natalie will be 6 months tomorrow and I have been working with Nicole for about a month and a half. We started with night sleep and then worked on naps. Her advice has made a world of difference in our house! Even if I just needed some encouragement, Nicole was there as my cheerleader!
    Natalie is still not consistent on the number of naps she takes a day. It is usually 3, but some days she needs 4 if her naps are short. If the last nap needs to occur at 5 or 5:15, then I know it will most likely be a fight if we try it in the crib. So, we usually go on a walk or a car ride. That last nap is the “get it any way I can” nap. If the last nap needs to occur at 5:30, then I usually just skip it and put her to bed at 6:30. It is not worth the fight!
    This article is a good reminder that no two babies are alike and that I need to do what works best for my kiddo!

6. Tanya says:

Three naps!
    My daughter is nearly 6 months, she naps for about 45-90 minutes in late morning and early afternoon, then snags a quick 30min nap around 6p. (Bedtime is 8:30, as Daddy does not get home till about 7:30/8p) Then at night she sleeps thru till about 5:30a, when I pull her into bed with us and nurse. She then goes back to sleep till about 7:30/8a. It’s working well for us!

7. Jaime says:

My daughter, now 16 months, NEVER consistently took more than 2 naps. When she was an infant, we would get the occasional 3 nap day, but by 6 months we were lucky to get 2 good ones. This has been the cause of much stress and anxiety, both because of my worrying that she wasn’t getting enough sleep and because I really could have used the extra break.
    She transitioned to 1 nap at 14 months and for the most part has done much better on that schedule. Nighttime sleep has finally gotten ot track (6:30 pm-6:30 am), so the 1 nap seems to be the right fit. Just another example of every baby having slightly different needs when it comes to sleep.

8. Liska says:

My daughter is 7 months old and she still needs 3 naps a day. One usually is 1 1/2 hours, the second is often just an hour and the third is just a catnap at 45 minutes. I tried extending the two to leave out the third. Not a good idea! We had a cranky little girl for the two days and I quickly realized she was not ready!
    2 hours between naps and she’s pretty much maxed out.

9. AmyR says:

I definately agree all kids are different! My daughter took 3 naps until she was well over 12 months old whereas my son dropped the 3rd nap around 7 months.

In our house, good naps + early bedtime = well rested family!

10. Lainie says:

My daughter turns 6 months on Saturday and takes 3-4 naps a day. More often than not, she takes one long nap (like 90 minutes) and the rest of her naps are pathetic naplets.

Thanks for the article! It reminds me that I don’t have to stress about her getting on a two-nap schedule just because she’s hit the 6-month mark.