Comments

1. Shivann says:

Hi Nicole, I wrote you a post in the 10month old section. My son is now 11 months old and his sleeping is no better. He wakes 1-3 times a night, ive tried leaving him and waiting for him to go back to sleep but he isnt just stirring when he wakes he is actually waking up and standing up in his cot and screaming. He can put his pacifier back into his mouth but i am not sure how to go about getting him to do this at night because he just looks for me. I have also got him into the habit of bringing him into my bed, almost every night now just to get some sleep. It getting closer to the time that i can move him into his own room and i want to stop him coming into my bed when i move him out of my room, i dont know how to go about doing this. I have tried leaving him to cry before but i just dont feel comfortable doing it. I thought that stopping feeding him in the night would mean that after a few nights he would start sleeping a bit longer but it has been about 4 months now since i stopped feeding him during the night and nothing has changed. I dont really see it ever getting better!

• Nicole says:

@Shivann If all you have to do is replace a pacifier at night, the key is to help him learn to fall asleep without the pacifier. You don’t have to leave him alone to cry, just don’t give him the pacifier. 🙂 I know that is easier to say than to do, though. I really do. It might be a few long nights, but it will be worth it in the long run, if you can get through it. Start on a night you don’t have to get up early the next day.

2. mary says:

my 11 month old baby girl
    gets up about 6-7
    have breakfast normally porridge with banana or weetabix
    9.30 bottle about 3- 5 oz
    then have her first nap (2 -2.5)
    12pm lunch which is a cooked meal followed by a yogurt or fruit
    2pm bottle 3-5oz
    3.00pm her other nap for (1.5 hours)
    5pm dinner sandwich ( cheese , ham ,humus ….
    6.30-7 bottle 3-5oz
    7pm normally in bed by then
    she sleeps all night till 6
    no snacks in between meals and only drinks water if she wants it
    is her routine OK or do u suggest any changes

• Nicole says:

@Mary It looks like your routine is great! I think many readers would love those long naps and the 11 hours of sleep at night. 🙂 Thank you for sharing!

3. Lian says:

What a fab website – thank you!

My son will be 12 months in a couple of weeks. Whilst he’s a very easy-going, happy little soul and we’re relatively happy with his daytime routine, we’re not sure if it’s contributing to his poor night-time sleep (particularly the fact he only has one nap).

His routine is:

5am Breast feed and then back to sleep
    8am Wake-up
    9am Breakfast (he eats very well at all meals, eating fresh, healthy family food with his hands)
    11am Nap for up to 1 and a quarter hours
    1pm Lunch
    3pm Snack
    5.30pm Dinner
    7.00 Start bedtime routine of wash or bath, book then breastfeed
    7.30 asleep

He was never keen on naps and it took a lot of perserverance at about 9 months before he’d readily have a good morning nap. Previously he’d only nap after a breast feed and then only for 45 mins max.

On a good night he’ll sleep fine until 5am, waking up for his milk (which seems very early).

On a bad night (which is most nights at the moment) he’ll sleep soundly until 1am to 2am, and then if we’re lucky we can pat his bottom and sit next to his cot to get him back to sleep within ten mins.

He has then taken to waking at 4am (arrggh!) and has to be taken into our bed and encouraged to sleep until 5am when he’ll wake like clock-work for his milk!

If he has wind (which is often, despite avoiding the food we know gives him wind!) he might cry and doze on and off for hours and will struggle to get back to sleep for a long stretch even if cuddled or taken into our bed.

The best he’s slept was recently on holiday where he actually had an afternoon nap and went to bed later (around 10pm). He’d then sleep soundly til 5am or later. I’ve tried to get him to have an afternoon nap back at home without success – should I persevere with that even tho he’s probably close to the age when babies drop a nap anyway?

We never leave him to cry himself to sleep on his own, I’d prefer to go without sleep than do that. My friends who have let their babies cry it out certainly get more sleep but their babies often seem much more needy and grouchy (in the day) than my son does. Not a judgement just an observation.

My other concern is that I’ve decided to wean him from the breast over the next couple of months (mainly as we’re trying to conceive number 2 and feel my body could do with a rest!) But he’s never taken an entire milk feed from a cup. He’s happy to drink water or milk from a sippy cup or open cup but won’t drink a whole feed’s worth (the maximum is around 2oz). Despite eating well, he’s on the lean side (health visitors have said it’s because he’s very active) so I’d worry about him losing weight if I dropped his breast feeds.

I’m sorry this is so long! Any advice much appreciated! Thank you.

Lian

• Nicole says:

@Lian The average age to transition to just one nap is 15 to 18 months, so he does sound very overtired and I would persevere and keep working on the napping. Short naps when he was younger is definitely normal. In regards to nights, you don’t have to let him cry alone, but consistency and helping him learn to sleep on his own will be important for long-term success. For weaning, I used the “Don’t offer, don’t refuse” method that worked very well. I stopped offering one feeding in the daytime and if he didn’t ask, I didn’t offer. I did that for one feeding per week until we were left with just one and he stopped asking. Good luck!

4. Leslie says:

Hi there! Please tell me if it looks like my baby is getting too mach sleep…. She is 10.5 months old.

Wake@ 7 – 7:30am; bottle
    Breakfast@ 8 – 8:30 (fruit & yogurt or cereal)
    Nap@ 9:15 – 9:30 (1.5 – 2 hrs)
    Wake@ 11:15 – 12; bottle
    Lunch@ 1pm (veggies & puffs, cookie)
    Nap@ 3pm (1.5 – 2 hrs)
    Wake@ 4:30 – 5pm; bottle
    Dinner@ 6:30 (veggie w/meat, puffs or cookie)
    Bed@ 8 – 8:30pm. Sleeps 11 hours

I feel like her naps are too long? Some days both naps are 2 hours long, even stretching to 2.5 hours each. Should I be waking her so that her naps aren’t so long? She’s a happy, energetic girl but she LOVES to sleep!

• Nicole says:

@Leslie If she’s sleeping through the night, no don’t wake her!!! 🙂 She is just on the higher end of sleep needs. Enjoy it now, because it might change as she gets older!!

5. Whitney says:

Hi! First of all, thank you for this website. Very helpful!

My son is 11 months old and is extremely inconsistent. This is about what his routine looks like:

5-6 am wake up and bottle
    7:00 am breakfast (cereal and fruit)
    8:00-9:00 am nap (about 1 hour)
    10:00 am snack
    12:00 pm lunch and bottle
    1:00 pm nap (about 1 hour)
    3:00 pm snack
    5:00 pm dinner
    7- 7:30 bottle then bedtime

But he wakes up a few times in the middle of the night and needs his pacifier and then he often wakes up so early that I don’t feel like he’s getting enough sleep. I can’t get him to go back to bed and I’ve tried EVERYTHING. And his lack of sleep at night doesn’t seem to make him nap longer. He never gets more than 2 hours of sleep during the day and sometimes it’s only an hour and a half. Any suggestions? Thank you!!

• Nicole says:

@Whitney Once a pacifier becomes more of a problem than a solution, it helps to stop using it, at least for sleep at night, so I’d recommend doing that. The too-early waking could be caused by too much wake-time between his last nap and bedtime. If you get that shortened, it could improve the night-wakings and too-early wake-up. Good luck!

6. Lisa C says:

Hello,
    My 13 month old has been on the same schedule for awhile but I wonder if it’s time to shift to one nap because his afternoon nap is getting so late?
    6:30 a.m. wake up
    7 a.m. milk
    8 a.m. breakfast
    9:30-11 a.m. nap
    11 a.m. milk
    12:30 lunch
    2:30 milk
    2:45 nap ((now he isn’t falling asleep until 4!!!!)
    4:45 I WILL WAKE HIM UP
    7:15 BED

What should I do? I feel like he is tired at 9:30 for his am nap but his afternoon nap is such a struggle? He doesn’t seem tired!!

• Nicole says:

@Lisa C Yes, most likely he is transitioning to just one nap with such a late nap where you are having to wake him. You want to slowly move that 9:30 nap to 11:30 over the course of several days, so he can adjust. It might take awhile for him to sleep longer than 1 1/2 hours for that one nap, though, but in time some will. Make sure you put him to bed early the days he only has one nap and it’s possible some days he will need one and some days he will need two until he is used to it. Good luck!

7. Janelle says:

My daughter is 14mos old. I think she is trying to transition to one nap a day, but she can’t seem to do the same thing two days in a row. She gets up at 6a, 7a breakfast, sometimes a 10:30 nap for 90 mins, then lunch at 12p, dinner at 5p, bedtime at 7p…or she wants two naps, a nap at 9:30 for 90mins, then another nap at 2:30 and I always have to wake her up at 4pm then bedtime at 7p. How do I get her to get onto one schedule or another? Or is this transition time and I need to go with the flow? I feel strange that I always have to wake her up from her second nap if she takes it, but if I don’t she won’t be tired for bed at 7p and I don’t want her going to bed any later.
    Thanks
    Janelle

• Nicole says:

@Janelle It’s very common when they transition to one nap that some days they need two naps. They get really tired during this transition. Soon enough she will go to just one nap every day, so I always suggest just go with the flow, so she won’t get too overtired, which can cause more problems. It won’t be long! Good luck!

8. hi, my baby is 11 months old he is going lean, he will be good 2 days a weak and again he will feel ill

• Nicole says:

@Supraja I am not sure what you mean by ill, but have you ruled out food sensitivities and allergies? Have you talked to his doctor?

9. Hollie says:

Darbey: I could have posted this exact same question. My son would only fall asleep for naps and night time…it got really rough, especially when I got laid off from my job. A friend of mine gave me this recommendation and within 2 weeks he was falling asleep on his own for naps and bed time. Here it is…when you go to lay them down tell them that is bed time/nap time, give them lots of kisses and love and lay them down. Sit in their room (read a book or something) until they fall asleep. This will get them used to calling asleep wihout being rocked with the comfort of mommy/daddy near by. The key to this is to not touch or talk to them. It may or may not work for you guys, bt worth a shot.

As for the food…our son (who is 11 months old) really wouldn’t eat much for a week or so… I figured out 2 things, 1) he wasn’t ready for the foods I was giving him and 2) he had reflux. I finally found things he will eat…fruit cups, English peas, stage 3 baby food, and most any veggie he can get his hands on. Be paient, I she isn’t losing weight and is happy and healthy…she will eat when she s ready. It may mean trial and error until she finds what she likes

hope this helps!

• Nicole says:

@Hollie Thank you for sharing and commenting! Good advice!

10. Darbey says:

My daughter is 11 months and she fights sleep so bad we still have to rock her to sleep. We’ve tried letting her cry herself to sleep but she screams and cries for atleast 2 hours before we go get her. I feel so bad doing that to her and when we do get her to go to sleep she wakes up in 4-6 hour intervals. I just didn’t know if there was anything we can do to help break her of that that doesn’t involve crying for hours on end… And she also has been in this phase for about 2 months that she really doesn’t eat much food and she has to eat what you eat and she feeds herself.. Where she doesn’t eat much I was just wondering if that was really bad.. It’s not like I don’t try to feed her, she just refuses most of the time

• Nicole says:

@Darbey There is a lot in between rocking to sleep and cry it out. Have you simply tried just not rocking her? Even if you work your way up to holding her while she fell asleep and work your way up to putting her down before she is asleep it will be progress and just take longer. About eating, I wouldn’t worry too much as healthy babies will neither starve themselves or overeat. Their tummies are small and often don’t eat much. I wouldn’t worry too much about it (though that’s easier to say than do, I know!). Good luck!