Comments

1. Divya Saraf says:

My lo gets very very cranky every evening around 6pm.
    She has her last feed before that in between 4-5pm, seems content. However at 6pm she goes crazy and cries her head off… the dr has told me that she should last at least 3hours between 2 feeds.
    Have tried ruling out all the things that we do at that time like sponge, bath, stroll in the garden in her pram, ultimately we have to give her milk sometimes even in an hour, and then she goes to bed at around 7pm. I have even tried giving gas drops but dr said colic goes by this age. And this has been going on since she was about 2.5 months.
    Just can’t understand what bothers her so much, she is otherwise a happy content baby.
    Any idea ?

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Divya Saraf, thanks for writing. I am so sorry to hear your little one has been so fussy in the evenings! Fussiness can be the result of many things so it can be hard for me to say without seeing her full schedule as well as knowing her age. It could be dietary related, what her nap schedule looks like, etc. If you’d want a deeper look into the cause I am confident our consultants can help as they would look at a full history and be able to take it from there. If you want to do a little more trouble shooting, here is a link to our sample schedules so you can find the appropriate age and get an idea for feeding and sleeping requirements for her age: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-feeding-schedules/
      I hope this helps! If you need more help, let us know and we are here for you!

2. Leon Mupanduki says:

Hello everyone I have a 10day old baby

3. Bex says:

Please don’t feed any child under 1 year old honey (as suggested above) it can kill them.

4. Cynthia says:

My granddaughter is just a month old. She eats and burps sleeps good all day until 11 pm and BANG she up and fussing I mean crying till about 5 am ..my daughter has a hard time …neither of them sleep …baby crying doesn’t want bouncy or swing or crib …I kepted her one night and was up all night with her .help what can we do

• Neosha says:

@Cynthia – Thank you for stopping by our sleepy little village! I know how exhausted your daughter must be – these long periods of crying can be stressful and exhausting for all members of the family, for sure. If your daughter has checked in with your granddaughter’s healthcare provider to rule out medical reasons such as reflux, digestive upset, or other issues, and she is otherwise healthy and growing well, it is quite likely that nothing is wrong with your precious granddaughter. All babies go through a period of intense crying that can’t really be soothed and it seems everlasting as it can last for hours and hours starting around 2 weeks – 1 month of age and this can last up to 3-4 months. Some babies’ crying is more intense and lasts longer than other babies, but all babies go through this period. If this is the case for your granddaughter, the best you all can do is to try to stay calm and to support each other as she goes through this developmental phase. You can read more about this phase here: http://purplecrying.info/

It’s important to, along with following the tips in this article, remember that if her crying gets to the point where you are finding yourselves upset or frustrated, it’s very okay to put her down in a safe place, like her free-from-toys-and-blankets crib/bassinet, and take a 10-15 minute break to keep calm. If you’d like more helpful information about infant sleep, you can consider our e-Book on just this topic here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/essential-keys-to-your-newborns-sleep/

You all hang in there, Cynthia, and please stop in to see us again.

5. Hidayatullah says:

Hello,
    My son is 40 days young he sleeps the whole day and just wake-up for breast feeding for some minutes but during night he is crying and do not sleep
    What you think what could be the reason

• Neosha says:

@Hidayatullah – Thank you for stopping by our sleepy little village and congratulations on your new baby! A newborn generally sleeps the vast majority of the day, which is very common, and into the night with brief spells of wakefulness to eat and watch scattered throughout. It’s also fairly common for babies your little guy’s age to cry more than you’d expect – this crying could be due to a variety of reasons such as gas, reflux, being too tired, stimulated, etc. If he is sleeping most of the day and not nursing too much during the day, he could be pretty hungry and is waking to get more calories as well. This article will give you more information on how much to expect your little guy to eat and sleep right now. If the crying is concerning to you or you’ve run through all the reasons for his crying and can’t figure it out, I’d encourage you to contact his healthcare provider to get his/her feedback as well.

I hope this is helpful – please stop back in to see us again soon!

6. Shannon says:

I have a 6 week old little girl she can be extremely happy during the day but when 8 oclock hits she starts getting extremely fussy and it is impossible to settle her, i have given her infants friends drops and this doesnt settle her either. I am formula feeding her and it seems like at 8 shes wants an extra 30 mls every 10 minutes or so until about 10 oclock. She doesnt seem to get sick or unwell im just wondering if i could be feeding her too much? she gets settled after 10 and will sleep for sometime between 5-7 hours does this sound like shes cluster feeding ?

• Danielle says:

Hi Shannon,
      Thank you very much for your comment! I’m sorry to hear that you’re dealing with the evening fussiness, but what you describe does sound like textbook cluster feeding to me. If you have any concerns at all about your baby’s eating habits or health, it’s always best to check in with her pediatrician, though, if only for your own peace of mind. Please keep reading The Baby Sleep Site, and let us know if we can ever be of further help!

7. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Menikda — triplets!! Wow!! Congratulations to you! 🙂 I’d say that at 2 months, your babies are still too young for any real sleep training. Therefore, the best thing for you to be doing is the thing that keeps you and your babies happy and rested. It sounds like that’s happening for you now, so I say carry on!

If you start to notice sleep issues down the road, however, you can start to do some real sleep training after 4 months.

Thanks for commenting!

8. Menikda says:

I have 2 months old triplets.
    We have a very good night routine. I sponge them and literally bath them in eir bath at 6 pm. They have their milk and are in longs levied body suit type pjs and they sleep like angels at the end of their milk ( bottle fed)
    I make the next two Feds ( 9 pm and 1 am ) respectively and fed them in their sleep . Tis way I get to the, and meet their needs befor they wake and cry. They don’t wake up till 5 am unless there is a nappy change with the3 am feed.
    I don’t know whether feeding intheri slep is good or ad but we have a very good nights rest and the barstool.
    Come 5 am they fed lustily ( I guess this is what you call cluster feeding) every hour till about 9 am when they finally settle downt oabout 2 hrs sleep until their bath at 11 am.
    Would like comments pls. This is my routine having read a couple of books and of course motherly instinct!

• Lenny says:

Why are you bathing them twice a day???

Twice a week should be enough at 2 months

9. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Suzie McGill — thanks for mentioning what worked and what didn’t; that’s going to be really helpful for moms who find this post and are struggling with their own newborns’ fussiness.

So glad to hear you all survived that phase, and that things turned out well in the end! 🙂

10. Suzie McGill says:

My son had colic from 6 weeks old until exactly 4 months. My hubby and I have no family nearby so we just dealt with his fussiness by taking turns walking and burping him. Sometimes a little massage on his tummy worked. Cluster feeds would last from 6pm until midnight or 1am some nights. I tried dropping wheat, milk and dairy products altogether and only drank mint or ginger tea, nothing worked. Eventually we used gripe water and it was like an instant off switch! 5 nights of a tsp a night and he ate at 6pm and fell asleep for 3 hours. We didn’t know what to do with ourselves! A little later, he was singing himself to sleep for a solid 8 hour sleep at 7 pm. Blissful!

• Mehro says:

I was handling the same with my newborn untill i find one thing. Mix half teaspoon honey with one drop each of castor, almond and olive oil. It worked wonders for my baby.hope this will help you

• Rita says:

Never give an infant honey. Castor oil too? Honey given to infants can cause botulism.