Comments

1. Heidi Pfeifle says:

For my daughter, I swaddled for the first few weeks as it than got hot. Our daycare provider started swaddling her again when she was around 5 months old because she would not go to sleep. When continued swaddling her until at least 18 months every night and sometimes for naps. We then would swaddle her on and off until just after her 2nd birthday. She slept on her stomach but was always able to move around. Her dad swaddled her very tightly.

With our twins, 6 months old now, we have swaddled from day one. At about 3 months old, we discovered that one of the twins slept better swaddled and on his stomach. The other twin still sleeps on his back.

Swaddling has helped all of my children to sleep better.

2. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Harriet Watson — I understand what you’re saying, about anything we have to “do” to make baby sleep becoming a potential crutch that causes hassles down the road. And swaddling certainly can be that.

It doesn’t have to be, though. And I’d push back a little against your point about babies not being swaddled in the womb. Swaddling is an ancient and universal technique that mimics the womb, helping babies to feel as comfortable and as secure as they were in utero.

However, to each his own. 🙂 What works for some doesn’t always work for others.

Thanks for commenting, Harriet!

3. There are apparently pros and cons to swaddling. Personally, I did not swaddle my children and I raised seven. I/we used other means of getting them settled and sleeping through the night by about 8 to 9 weeks old. My mother taught all of us how to do it.

Just thinking out the box, are babies swaddled in the womb? I believe that once we use a “‘method with a baby they simply get used to it and yes, it’s going to be an additional task when we decide the “method” such as swaddling, is no longer good/safe, for whatever reason. One of the articles indicated that if a parent/caregiver decides to swaddle anyway, they should “check” the baby periodically, which seems to be a little more work and an additional source of anxiety for the parent. I believe self-soothing is key and learning it early is great. That may be why my babies slept through the night soon after birth. Me and my family just used a different method than swaddling so there was no need to see what was going to happen when we didn’t swaddle.

4. Michelle says:

I’m from Australia and get mine from a local website that only sells mum-tested products (I’ve tested some myself). The Love to Dream Swaddle is also available in baby shops but I’m not sure if it’s limited to Australia or not. This is the link to the website I use where you can a variety of the Love to Dream swaddles. Honestly, they’re a god send and make breastfeeding and rocking a baby SOOO much easier and you don’t have to worry about them coming unwrapped through the night when we’re all half asleep! They’re also really easy to roll up and throw in the nappy bag – it allows my baby to sleep better when we’re out visiting or even in the stroller at the shops. It’s definitely a positive sleep association item for him.

Cheers!

• Emily DeJeu says:

@ Michelle — Thanks for the link! I shared it with our sleep consultants. It looks like it is available here in the states, via Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Love-To-Dream-Swaddle-Medium/dp/B005MATQNK/tag?=pinisbir20 (fyi — that’s an affiliate link, for anyone who may click on it)

So glad you and a few other commenters have mentioned this blanket. Like I said to @ Sam, this is a new one for me — I hadn’t heard of it until I started reading the comments, so thanks for enlightening me! 🙂

5. Katie says:

Every child is so different. Our first (now 5yo!!) could not sleep without a swaddle. But pull her arms down to her sides and she instantly went from full throated scream to lights out. Literally in seconds. It was amazing! So we swaddled her with light cotton blankets until she was 9 months old. When our son was born (he’s almost 9 months), we assumed he’d be the same. Boy were we wrong! He would fuss until his arms were loose, and then put himself to sleep with arms fully outstretched, super cute :). Our daycares (2 different states) have always had a no swaddling policy. For our son, no big deal, he’s a natural sleeper most of the time. But for our daughter it meant that she only napped in the swing at school. I understand the ban because of the potential for tragic consequences but it does make life difficult for those of us with jobs and babies who like to be swaddled!

• Emily DeJeu says:

@ Katie — yes! It’s crazy how different siblings can be, isn’t it? And thanks for sharing your daycare experience. Honestly, I had no idea until reading the Huffington Post article that swaddling was banned in many daycare centers. Such a difficult problem; I respect the desire to put safety first, but I wonder about the feasibility of this long-term.

Thanks for commenting, Katie!

6. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Sam — thanks for including this link for the Love to Dream swaddle! This is a new one for me; I hadn’t heard of it before yesterday.

7. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Christy — “I feel like the AAPs next step is going to be to tell us we have to stay awake and watch them 24/7 for truly safe babies…” Yes! That’s the danger of putting safety above common sense. The safest scenario isn’t necessarily do-able in real life, as you point out. Excellent point. Thanks for making it, Christy!

@ Laura — thanks for sharing your thoughts, especially since they’re different than the majority of other commenters’ opinions. We really like having a variety of voices comment our our articles. And while I personally think a ban on swaddling is extreme, I can see your point (especially since, as you point out, you had a bad daycare experience.)

Thanks for making this point, Laura, and for weighing in with your opinion! 🙂

8. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Kerri — I had a similar experience. My kids were pretty over the swaddle by 3-4 months, but in those first few months, it was an absolute lifesaver.

Thanks for commenting, Kerri!

@ Marcia — “And then my children’s health would have been adversely effected after I had lost my mind.” Ha! Yes to that! Sometimes, what’s best for mom is also best for baby, precisely because it’s best for mom. 😉

Thanks for joining the conversation, Marcia!

@ Monique — yes. I totally agree. It seems the issue here is that some childcare workers don’t know how to swaddle properly, or how to properly supervise a swaddled baby. But as you point out, the solution isn’t to ban the practice of swaddling; it’s to teach childcare workers how to swaddle properly.

Thanks for commenting, Monique!

9. Emily DeJeu says:

@ karen — yes. While it may still be up in the air, as to whether or not swaddling is the best approach in childcare centers, I don’t think anyone would say that it’s dangerous to do at home, provided you swaddle safely and supervise your baby.

For my part, I found that once my kids were able to roll over, they were frequently busting out of the swaddle. And I felt that was my cue to stop swaddling.

Thanks for sharing, Karen!

@ Frede M — you make some excellent points here! I especially like your point about large organizations like the AAP and the NRC trying to fit humanity into neat compartments (a practice which is doomed to fail in many ways.) And I agree; it seems a bit draconian to me too.

Thanks for sharing these observations, Frede!

@ Michelle — thanks for this endorsement of the Love to Dream swaddle! I can’t believe I’ve never heard of these; I’m going to have to do some internet research today, to educate myself. 😉

10. Emily DeJeu says:

@ angela — the Woombie is proving popular in our comments today! Thanks for sharing these details of your experience, Angela, and for recommending something that worked well for you. 🙂

@ Jenn M — that’s a good point, about the AAP issuing a one-size-fits-all kind of recommendation when they state that swaddling is dangerous in childcare situations. We’re not exactly fans of one-size-fits-all approaches here at the Baby Sleep Site™. 😉

Thanks for commenting, Jenn!

@ Becky — “nothing should ever come between a baby and their sleep” — amen! How true that is. Sleep is so important for young children. And you’re right; it does seem that in an effort to help, and to make things safer, the groups that issued this recommendation may in fact be doing unintentional harm to babies.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences, Becky!