Comments

1. margarita says:

my daughter is going to be 10mnths in 3 days and her sleeping paterns are diff every day.
    6-7am she has formula 4oz
    but then she dosnt wake up until about 10am
    10-11am breakfast,
    there are times when she will nap and times when she wont if she does nap it would be around 12-2pm with bottle, 6-8oz
    she wont have a bottle when she gets up. she will want juice or water.
    then 3-4 she eats lunch. after lunch she just plays around walks and runs on the walker.
    there are times when she will nap and there are times when she wont she usualy wants a bottle around 6-7pm again 6-8oz. then her bedtime is also ify, sometimes she goes to sleep at 9pm but if she does she wakes up around 10:30 or 11pm and wants another bottle to go back to sleep 6-8oz. she’ll sleep until 7am for another bottle 40z.
    i dont know what to do or if this is even okay, ive spoken to her teacher/nutritionist and she says that shes good, her dct says she healthy and developing great. I know shes good i would just love for her to be on a sched and she eats the right amount of food and formula every day. but i just dont know what or how to do it!!
    i would really love some advise!!

• Nicole says:

@Margarita Inconsistency is normal for some babies. If you want her to be on a more “regular” schedule, usually you start by controlling the wake-up time. Start waking her earlier in the morning, so she can start to nap earlier, eat earlier and go to bed earlier. Then, you can start giving her naps at regular times. Good luck!

2. Dawn says:

My 10 month old wont sleep without bouncing. He has always been a motion baby so we got him the Amby motion bed. He slept all the night from 2-5 months till we went on vacation and we didnt have it. The only way to get him to sleep was to nurse and then he discovered I can eat and sleep! Its been like that ever since. We co-sleep now cause he was almost rolling out of the Amby bed and I think its hard for him to not nurse at night since Im right there! We put him in swing or bounce to sleep now. but have now let him start crying some bouncing, laying back down-screaming, bouncing, laying-screaming, bouncing till he is done for the night. This takes a hour! My back cant handle it anymore. Our nap schedule is always random and is mostly when he is tired. And based on when he gets up or how well he sleeps for the night. He usually goes to sleep at 8:30 or 9. and is up at 1, 3 and 5 am. Then up for the day at 6:17 am. But takes one big 2 to 3 hour nap during the afternoon. He wont really eat solids and really only likes yogurt. I heard baby’s sleep better after a good dinner threw the night. Its hard for me to not nurse him and bounce him around at 1, 3 and 5 am when his face is right next to my boobs. Im at the end of my wits and wont just let him cry it out. but we have started to let him fuss alittle to get him to sleep. I really, really dont know what to do at this point anymore. Can babies really fall asleep when you lay them down? I feal like I may never see that light at the end of the tunnel. 🙁

• Nicole says:

@Dawn You are not alone. I can imagine it would be hard for me to sleep when I smelled yummy food cooking all night too. 😀 Are you trying to continue co-sleeping or transition him to his own room/crib? He might sleep better when he can’t smell you or your milk all night. It is definitely possible to help him learn to fall asleep when you lay him down, but it can take some work on your part. Always remember there is a lot between sleep deprivation and cry-it-out. The first step is to stop the movement to sleep. Good luck!

3. Shivann says:

Hi! My 10 month old used to sleep about 7 hours but when he started teething he went to waking anywhere from 2-6 times a night. I stopped giving him his night feeds about 3 months ago but he still continues to wake 2-3 times during the night. He has a pacifier so i can resettle him with this but it can take a loooong for him to go back to sleep. Often i bring him into my bed because i am so tired and this settles him straight away. He is in the same room as us and i wonder if this is contributing to his waking? Due to room shortages i cannot move him into his own room for another couple of months (about a month after he turns one). He has 2 naps during the day totalling about 2-3 hours. I cant figure out why he wont sleep the whole night, is this normal? When can i expect it to change? I have tried everything – leaving him to cry, picking him up and giving him a cuddle, changing his naps etc but nothing seems to work. Also his bedtime is 7pm and he usually gets up for the day at 7am.

• Nicole says:

@Shivann It might help to stop replacing the pacifier for him. He’s getting to the age he can replace it himself. Fussing a bit between sleep cycles is normal, so it is possible being in the same room is causing you to hear every little sound and he hears all your sounds, too. I’d need to know in more detail exactly what you’ve tried and what’s going on, but it sounds more about allowing him to learn to re-settle himself during normal nighttime arousals. Good luck!

4. Paola says:

Hello I have an almost 10 month old he use to sleep just fine but around 7 or 8 month his sleeping habit has changed for worse. During the day he varies he might take 2 naps time frames change all the time. But the worst is at night, its like he gets a burst of energy and getting him setted down is almost imposible.We do the feeding,then bath and still. Once he goes to sleep after hours of trying, after a couple of hours of sleep he wakes up crying but not totaly wakes, and then I have to go in if not he keeps crying and starts completly waking up. He does this depending the night average 3 to 8 times a night. We dont know what to do anymore we are so tired.He would sleep better when he was younger.

• Nicole says:

@Paola I’d need a bit more detail on your schedule and routines. It is normal for a sleep regression but not usually for 2 months. I will venture to guess he is not putting himself to sleep and you have to “help” him. The goal is to help him learn to fall asleep on his own, so he doesn’t “need” to call for you at night. Master that and he will probably go back to sleeping well. Good luck!

5. Helen says:

Hi,

Need your help… please
    I have a 10 month old baby who just won’t sleep through the night.
    He has no problems going to sleep during the day, I can easily put him in his cot he may have a little whine but will easily fall asleep. Come to bedtime its a different story he is crying once he finally falls asleep he will wake at 11:30pm and it is very difficult to settle him, he keeps throwing himself around his cot trying to get comfortable. As I work I then put him in bed with us and he again won’t settle he throws himself around the bed and can’t seem to relax..he continues to wake during the night and at tomes cry.. . help.

His daily routine:
    7- 7:30am Formula (200mls) and Breakfast (this would be cereal with his formula)
    9.00am Nap for about an hour
    10.00am snack
    12.00pm Lunch + 100 mls formula
    1:30 – 2.00pm Afternoon nap ( about an hour)
    3:30 -4.00 Snack + 100 mls formula
    6.00 – 6.30pm Dinner (includes 200 mls formula)
    8.30pm – 9.00pm Bedtime ( this is when the trouble begins)

Any suggestions. He does sleep with a pacifier and light music.

• Nicole says:

@Helen Bedtime is probably too late at 10 months when his nap is earlier in the day. You probably want to bump that to 7 or 7:30 p.m. That might make it easier for him to stay settled. The other thing is probably to phase out the pacifier if he is too dependent on it. You might also want to read about sleep associations: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association/

6. Kristy says:

I dont rush into the room to soon, But you can only take the screaming for so long , When I get him out to feed him he only takes 2-3 oz and goes right to sleep when I put him back to bed. Last night he woke up at 11:00 I fed him and then he woke up at 12:00 and I thought to myself no way am I getting him up already so I let him scream and it lasted for 50 min I couldnt stand it ( i need my sleep also) So I got him up again he took 3 oz and then slept untill 5:30 .

7. Tiffany says:

Kristy,
    I am in the same situation with my 10 month old. She will not take a pacifier either! I have tried every kind! I am nursing still, but her schedule is very similar to your son’s. Well, at least we are not alone while we are up at night. 🙂

8. Kristy says:

My 10 month wakes up every 2 hrs to eat at night time, I think he has gotten into a bad habit. I tried to not give him a bottle but he will not stop screaming if I dont.He takes a morning nap for 1 hr and a noon nap for 1.5- 2 hrs and sometimes he will take one around 3:30 -4:00 for 45 min. I dont have any problem getting him to go down for his nap times , i just put him to bed and he goes right to sleep on his own.I just cant seem to get him to sleep through the night with out feedings. And he wont take a pacifier!

• Nicole says:

@Kristy Day and night sleep are handled by two different parts of the brain, so it’s common people will struggle with nights and not naps or the other way around. He most certainly has a sleep association with eating to fall asleep. Have you read my article about that? Here’s the link: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association/

9. Vivien Kooy says:

Hi,

Please comment on how to get baby in a routine, I also have the problem that the morning nap might be 30 min or 2.5 hours, which means the afternoon nap can’t happen at the same time every day.

Also getting the baby asleep in the afternoon is so difficult and sometimes it doesn’t happen because he woke up too late in the morning wich then makes dinner en bedtime at night frustrating. He deffinately needs an afternoon nap.

I would like a 10am nap and a 2pm nap – how can I do this?

• Nicole says:

@Vivien Do you give him time to go back to sleep when he wakes early from a nap? I’d have to know more about what time he wakes up and some other details to tell you exactly how to guarantee a 10am nap. You might want to make sure he’s up at the same time every morning for at least a week to help set his internal clock. Also, I don’t think there is any way you can get a 2pm nap if he’s sleeping 2 1/2 hours at 10am. Some babies are more consistent than others, but with that long of a nap a 10 month old won’t be tired at 2pm.

10. Danielle says:

Hello,
    I started using the staggered approach on my baby (will be 10 months in a few days) boy about a month ago. He has no problem sleeping at night; he is asleep by 7 and wakes up between 6:30 and 7. He is also a very good eater. However, he is a terrible napper. A month ago, he took two 30 minute naps a day. Now, he takes a nap at 10 for 30 to 40 minutes. And he has started refusing his afternoon nap. He just sits/stands in his crib, or walks the perimeter. I am wondering if he is ready to only have one nap a day. If I only give him one nap, what time should it be and how to I adjust the rest of the schedule (for formula and solid feedings)? Another problem, he almost always poops about 10 minutes after I put him in the crib for both of his naps. I can’t let him sleep in a dirty diaper, so I have to go get him and start the process over again. I have tried waiting until he poops before putting him down, but he won’t! It is like he is purposefully waiting until he is in his crib because he knows I will come get him. By the way, I know he poops because I can hear his grunts over the monitor. Any advice?

• Nicole says:

@Danielle LOL! Babies are so funny about their pooping, sometimes. Maybe he likes the privacy. 😉 Some 10 month olds transition to one nap at this age, but it’s fairly rare. Before you go to one nap, I’d recommend bumping wake time by 30 minutes, first, for the 2nd nap. Make sure you give him time to go back to sleep after a short nap, too. He might take a few days but he might start going back to sleep. He is sleeping well at night, at least, so that’s great! For the pooping, there isn’t much you can do since you’ve already tried to wait him out. I’d probably just put him down, change his diaper, and put him right back down. I wouldn’t necessarily redo the whole routine unless he absolutely needs it. I’d try to make the diaper change as little incentive as possible. Good luck!