Comments

1. Noelle says:

HELP! My son will be 11 months old in just a few days. Up until about a week ago we hadn’t had any major problems since he was an infant. Here is what his usual schedule looks like:

10:00 wake & formula
    12:00 lunch (solids & formula)
    1:00 nap
    4:00 wake & snack
    7:00 dinner (solids & formula)
    10:00 bedtime

I also give him formula throughout the day as he wants it.

Here lately, he’s been quite erratic with his sleep. The first night of all of this he woke up at 3:00 AM and we couldn’t get him to go back to sleep until close to 8:00 AM. He screamed everytime we would try to lay him back in his crib. Then we couldn’t get him to nap that afternoon. The next night he went to sleep just fine and slept through the night and napped like normal. The following night he slept just fine, but refused to nap. Then last night he went to bed OK but woke up like every two hours or so. I am not breastfeeding. I give him a sippy cup (he decided on his own to give up the bottle) just before he goes to bed. Then I take him in his room and turn out the lights and hold him and rock him about 15 – 20 minutes. I do not do this until he falls asleep. I then put him in his crib, tell him goodnight, leave the room. Every now and then he may fuss a little, but normally we don’t need to go in there as he settles himself down and goes to sleep. I have tried everything – holding him, letting him cry, etc. I don’t know what to do. I don’t like this trend of not sleeping all night.

• Kimberly says:

Hi Noelle,
      Have you checked to see if he’s teething at all? Sometimes molars or other teeth coming through can affect a previously well sleeping baby. He could also be experiencing some nighttime anxiety. It will be important to establish how to handle his wakings where he can learn or be able to settle himself back into sleeping without getting picked up or rocked back to sleep as that will only promote a sleep association habit where he’ll think he has to have that to get back to sleep. If you haven’t already, I’d recommend you read over this post about 11 month old schedule for helpful tips: https://www.babysleepsite.com/schedules/11-month-old-schedule/

If you have determined that it’s not a physical issue such as teething or a cold, and it continues, then you may want to consider a sleep consultation with Nicole and she can address specific issues going on along with a strategy for your situation. You can find more information here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-toddler-sleep-consulting-services/

2. Sue says:

My ten month old was sleeping through the night. She now wakes during the night and cries out. Sometimes leave her and she goes back to sleep, other times have to go in and soothe her with the dummy. Her schedule is:
    07.00/07.30-milk, breakfast
    09.00/09.30-nap
    10.00/10.30-wakes
    12.00-milk, lunch
    13.10/14.00-nap
    14.30/15.00-wakes
    16.00-milk, dinner
    18.00-bedtime routine
    18.45-19.00-milk, supper
    19.15-19.30-bed (always awake)
    Is she waking as she has lost her dummy or is disorientated? Am unsure what to do to help her rest through the night.

• Kimberly says:

Hi Sue,
      Hard to tell why she’s waking but as long as it’s not out of hunger, teething, wet diaper, or other physical issue, then it would probably best to help her learn to get herself back to sleep without the dummy. I’d recommend either giving her some time to see if she re-settles back into sleep or if you do go in, then try patting, shushing or otherwise re-assuring her but not with the dummy as that’s only going to continue to create a sleep association where she’s going to continue to think she has to have it to get back asleep. You can read more about sleep associations here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association/

3. Natalie says:

Hello!
    I hope someone can help me. My son is 10 months old and very big for his age (90th percentile for height and weight). He takes two naps at 10 and 2:30. He sleeps for about an hour at 10 and about an hour and a half at 2:30. We put him to sleep at 9:00, and he almost always wakes up at 5:00 AM every day. He asks for his “ba-ba” and I give him about 4 oz. of milk (if I gave him more he would drink it) and then he goes back to sleep until 6 to 6:30. I’ve tried putting him to sleep earlier, but he just wakes up earlier. It seems like he won’t go longer than 8 hours at night. He eats dinner at about 6, I give him a few ounces of milk at about 7, yogurt at 8 and another 4 ounces of milk (with cereal in it) at about 9 o’clock at which point he finally goes to sleep. He’s not tired before that – he’s always screaming and playing and wide awake. Is it possible that he’s truly hungry at 5:00 because he’s a big baby? Or should he be able to be without food until he wakes up? I really hate waking up at 5:00 every day. It’s almost always impossible to go back to sleep again – I can’t take it anymore! Please help.
    Thanks in advance!

• Kimberly says:

It is very possible he is hungry at this time in the morning after sleeping all night. It’s also possible his internal clock has been set for waking up at 5 am. Early morning between 4-6 can be a light sleep period for most babies. He might just need help learning to fall back asleep on his own at that time. This would mean either seeing if he’ll go back to sleep without your assistance (with some possibly crying or whining for the first few days) or you might have to go in and quickly reassure him, check to make sure there aren’t other reasons he waking. You might also try shifting his last nap to a bit earlier and cutting it down to an hour to help with his need for longer nighttime sleep.

4. xpectant says:

Hi

I love our article and advice. Very sound and helpful. My daughter sleeps great at night (7pm to 6am – plays until 7am when I get her up) but it seems she has too many day naps. I try to stretch her out but she just whinges until I put her in her cot! She doesn’t necessarily ‘sleep’ the whole time, but she plays quietly.

07.00am Breastfeed
    7.30/7.45 Breakfast
    8.30/8.45 Nap
    10.30am Wake time & sometimes a snack
    12.00noon Lunch
    12.30/1.00 Nap
    2.30pm Breastfeed
    3.00pm Snack
    4.00/4.30 Nap
    6.00pm Breastfeed & dinner
    7.00pm Sleep

5. Kimberly says:

@Jess- Your baby is probably too young to transition to just one nap. And as I mentioned above in my response to Daniela, Nicole does usually advise that some babies may still need one feeding at this age. Have you tried giving him bottle when he wakes and as he gets drowsy lay him back down in his bed. If he starts to wake, then maybe try patting and shushing but not picking him up again. I’d try to avoid rocking him back to sleep as this will likely create a sleep association that can be difficult to break later on.

6. Kimberly says:

@Daniela- Nicole usually advises that one feeding at night for babies 10-12 months old is not uncommon. I would recommend you check out this post for some additional information on night feedings: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/night-feedings-by-age-when-do-you-night-wean/

7. Kimberly says:

Andrea- I would also recommend you check out Nicole’s series on different sleep training ideas which include other options than CIO or how to do a modified CIO. https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-training-from-no-cry-to-cry-series-part-1/

Her book also covers the topic of sleep training options other than CIO in-depth.

8. andrea says:

as far as falling asleep at night, it just completely varies. tonight it’s total chaos. they’ve been changed, fed bottles, fed dinner and still i have one baby absolutely screaming and it’s almost 10p.m. other nights they will go down fine or maybe fuss for just a few minutes and then wake up 2 hours later. i always make them go to sleep on their own though, but a few times i’ve cuddled them or held them for just a couple minutes until they are really drowsy. thank you for the book recommendation. i may have to check that out. i’m having a really hard time. everyone keeps saying do CIO, but i just can’t do it. i am one tired mom though! lol. thanks again for all of the imput! 🙂

9. andrea says:

hello. i am having some sleep issues with my 10 month old twin girls. their schedule never seems to stay consistent throughout the day, no matter how much i try and stress over it. as of lately it seems that their schedule is like this :

wake at 8 AM
    bottles at 8:15 AM or so
    solids for breakfast at 9 AM
    nap at 11 until about noon
    bottles after waking
    solids for lunch at around 1 PM
    second nap at around 2 PM until about 4 PM
    bottles after waking
    dinner at about 5:30 or 6
    goal bedtime at around 8 or 9 PM….

but after they go to bed at around 9 they are up again at like 11. it’s like they think that that is a third nap and they are wanting to be awake for several hours, so i can’t seem to get them in bed again until about 11 PM and then they wake up various times during the night. i’ll have one twin wake up at 2 and then the other one wake up at 3 and then again the other one wakes up at 4. it’s just a mess. i have tried to get them on schedule and it is not working. what am i doing wrong here ? please help. 🙂

• Kimberly says:

Hi Andrea,
      It sounds like you are doing a good job with their schedule throughout the day but that it’s the nighttime wakings that are really the big problem. How are they falling asleep at night? Are they able to go to sleep on their own? Is one waking the other at any time during the night? Sometimes with twins it can help to separate their sleep arrangements and bring them back together later on when they’ve established sounds sleep patterns. You might consider checking out Nicole’s e-book, Help Your Child Sleep (www.babysleepswell.com) which has more sample schedules, sample sleep training ideas and quite a few other tips. Hang in there!

10. Daniela says:

I’m so glad I found this website. I thought my nine month old was not eating because he was too tired. Seems his appetite is completely gone. I did notice yesterday that two little teeth are popping out on his top gums. ( he already has the bottom two) I don’t know what to do! He won’t eat breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks no matter what. He finishes half of his bottle. Now because he’s hungry ( I’m only assuming here ) he’s waking up in the night. First I tried to let him cry but his little nose was so runny that he was gagging so of course I pick him up. BAD MOVE..now every night its the same thing. Is he hungry? He drinks the bottle and goes back to sleep but at this age I thought he should sleep all night – but then I think about all of the meals he is missing and feed him. When his teeth finally come out is he going to want a bottle in the night again?? I keep reading different things. One book says “it’s ok for your 9 month old to have a feeding still” and another says “no way”…..???? I’m so confused 🙁