Comments

1. Gigi says:

My daughter is 11 months old. She used to sleep through the night from 7-6/7am – but as of last Oct, she started waking up at 1am and then 5am and as of a few weeks ago, added waking at 11pm.
    I know my husband and I spoiled any chances of proper sleep training by giving her a bottle each time she wakes up so now she expects a bottle at each wake time. She recently started eating solids without issues just before christmas ..she naps very well and NO issue putting her down – she self soothes during the day but night is a totally different scenario.

this is what her schedule looks like:
    5am: 4 oz formula
    7-7.30am: Wakes up
    9am: cereal+fruit/yoghurt
    10-12: nap #1
    12: Lunch – jar of food+bread+fruit/yoghurt
    12.30: bottle – 5oz formula
    2-4: nap#2
    4: 5oz formula bottle
    6.30: dinner – jar of food+ yogurt+ apple sauce
    7-7.30: bath
    8pm: 5-6oz formula
    11: First wakes up
    2: Second time wakes up
    5: Third time wakes up
    … We tried the CIO – but it’s too painful – PLUS we’re expecting our second one in July and I would really love to have her sleep through the night before the baby arrives as I’m constantly exhausted from looking after her day & night and being pregnant … my husband helps a lot but she’s a handful at times.
    Please help! Thanks!

2. Keener says:

My son, Aristotle will be 11 months old next week. He is our first child and we are attachment style parents. He is breastfed and he co-sleeps with me every night since he was born (he didn’t even sleep in the nursery at the hospital). Every nap he has ever taken has always been with me holding him, him sleeping next to me in bed (all while attached to the breast) or his father holding him in a carrier. He won’t let us put him down to sleep, he just wakes up immediately. He is very good at sleeping through the night, usually about 9 to 10 hours. His naps vary between 30 minutes to 2 hours. The problem I’m having is he still takes 3 naps a day. He wakes up somewhere between 7am and 10 am, depending on when he goes to sleep, which is usually between 11 pm and 2am. I know it sounds crazy but we are an up late family. I wish I could get him down earlier, but he won’t have it. When we try to eliminate his last nap and put him down earlier, like around 10 pm, he will, every time wake up an hour later and not go back to sleep for 3 to 4 hours! Which means we are up till 3am or sometimes even 4 am!!! Please help! We don’t know what to do.
    Sincerely Andrea

3. Aimee says:

My son turned 11 months on the 25th of this month. My son would go down for bed at 8pm with no problems, sleep through, and wake up between 6 and 7am ready to go. I would put him down for a nap about 930am, he would sleep until 11am. He would go back down at about 2pm and sleep for another hour and a half. He went down for naps and bedtime very easily.

For a while now, well over a week, my son has not been happy with this schedule… He will take 30 mins or more to get to sleep with lots of crying and screaming, and will then only sleep for *maybe* 30 mins. This goes for both naps, morning and afternoon. He has also started waking in the middle of the night again and refusing to go back down in his bed, I’m guessing because of the poor sleep he is getting during the day. He still goes down at his regular bedtime with no issues though.

What I’m wondering is… Is my son needing to move to one nap for the day? I have started pushing his morning nap later, I have put him down around 11 the last couple of days with the intention to try to move it later slowly and he has slept for an hour and a half both times. I think he still needs more day sleep though. Today I put him down a couple hours after he woke up from his first nap and he went to sleep very easily. I don’t know how long he should sleep though, if I should let him sleep as long as he needs or wake him up within a certain period of time so he doesn’t get too much day sleep? He has been down about a half hour now… Is there a way to get these sleep times to blend together into one long nap? Is there a way to make his first nap longer? Is this even the right thing to do at this time? Any advice would be very much appreciated… Thanks 🙂

4. Diana says:

hi!
    my son is a sleeps pretty good.
    7:30am wake, breastfed
    9:30am breakfast

10:30am nap
    11:45 am wake, breastfed
    2:00pm lunch
    3:00pm nap
    4:15pm wake, breastfed
    6:00pm dinner
    7:30pm sleep

sometimes wakes up at 5 am to eat, but goes back to sleep,

i am satisfied with this schedule, but the question is, and i couldn’t find more info on your site, he will soon go to daycare (in one week, he will also be 11 mo old), and they have a 1 nap at noon policy: how can I do this transition? they are willing at daycare to help me, but i need a plan!
    I really don’t have a choice, since I will start work, so please point me the right direction! thank you!

• Nicole says:

@Diana Many daycares do this transition early (even though many will take two naps happily until 15 to 18 months), but I’m sure it’s much easier for them to have them all nap together. Most babies will transition just fine and an early bedtime will help. Generally, you can just move his 10:30 nap by 15 minutes per day (or every other day) until his nap is at noon. He will get used to staying awake longer before the nap. However, if he struggles with the transition, you do have the option to do two naps on the weekend, to let him “catch up” (they don’t really catch up, but you can let him rest more). Good luck!

5. Sheri says:

My daughter is 11 months. She is so easy going and never complains, I really don’t ever know if she is hungry or thirsty. She never seems to “ask” for anything as I have heard others say. Her pediatrician has never given any feeding or scheduling advice. She is always great on the hgt/wgt charts and certainly is not thin. She was easily weaned off all her bottles except the one at night, and frankly, if I cut it out, she would never miss it either. I have been trying to teach her sign to tell me if she wants something, but she isn’t interested. She has always been a great sleeper too, I trained her early. She eats 3 meals a day with formula. She occasionally has a snack in the afternoon right after her last nap if we are planning to go out for dinner so that she can eat with us later at 5:30 or 6pm. I am still trying to figure out what to feed her. She is bored with stage 3 foods in the jar, but I still give it to her sometimes if I need a quick meal when we are out to dinner and then she eats off my plate as well. I have been giving her some “mini meal” stage 4 foods now, and some home cooked meat, veggies and whole wheat pasta or toast.
    Her current schedule is:
    7-7:30am wake
    8:00 4oz formula in a cup and breakfast (oatmeal and fruit usually)
    10:00 nap (1 hour)
    12:00pm 4 oz formula in a cup and lunch (meat and veggies)
    2:00 nap (1 hour)
    4:00 4 oz formula in a cup and dinner (meat and veggies)
    7:30pm bath, 8 oz bottle of formula and then bedtime at 8pm.

Should I be giving her snacks in between her meals? She has reflux, and I have always been afraid of overfeeding her, I suppose. She has been on Zantac since she was 3 months, and she still regurgitates during the day sometimes in between meals, I catch her swallowing it back down.

Also, I have noticed that her morning nap is starting to move later and later. Sometimes she doesn’t go to sleep until 11 am. She would then take her afternoon nap at 3pm or even later. But, anytime after about 3:30, her nap will shorten to 1/2 an hour instead of an hour, and she wakes up cranky and tired. How will I know when she is ready to switch to one nap? She does so good on 2 naps right now. She used to nap sometimes 2 or more hours when she was younger and took 3 naps, but now she refuses to sleep longer than an hour. You can set your watch by it. I am afraid when I cut out one of her naps, she will still only sleep for an hour for that one nap, and I know when she goes to one nap, it should be longer than that. Even now, sometimes her naps are only 40-45 mins long and she wakes really screaming. If she only gets a half an hour and wakes screaming, I usually rock her back to sleep and try to put her back to bed, but it doesn’t always work. It’s weird, for naps and for bed, I just get her drowsy and put her in the crib and leave. Sometimes it takes her 15 or 20 mins to stop crying (whining, really) and lay down, but she goes to sleep just fine on her own. I don’t know why she wakes like that sometimes, but she can’t get back to sleep on her own all the time if she wakes early from a nap. If she wakes at night, she just goes right back to sleep. I have literally never had to go in there at night since she was 3 months old. The early waking from the nap is making me a little nuts, she is obviouly still sleepy, but is frantic unless I hold her. She is having bad separation anxiety problems that just started last month, could that be a factor?

• Nicole says:

@Sheri How interesting! I talk about this temperament trait in my Baby Temperament & Sleep Series. Here is the link to the post on intensity: https://www.babysleepsite.com/temperament/baby-temperament-sleep-intensity/ Most babies won’t transition to one nap until between 15 & 18 months, but mostly when that second nap gets too late to keep a relatively early bedtime, it’s time to transition. Or, she will just stop sleeping for one of her naps. Waking partially into her nap is most likely due to needing a little more awake time before the nap. It could be separation, however, given she’s going to sleep fine on her own without screaming, that usually tells me it’s a schedule issue. You might try bumping awake time later by 20-30 minutes for each nap and see if things improve. Good luck!

6. Mandy says:

I have somewhat the same problem as the previous poster.
    My daughter is 11 months old and I have a very hard time knowing when she needs/wants to nap. We had a wonderful routine up until about a month ago. She would sleep for 1.5 hours in the morning 2 hrs after waking, and then another 30-45 mins in the afternoon. I don’t know whwat happened but we are fighting naps every single day. It’s awful! She has been sleeping the same amount of time since she was about 6 months old. asleep by 7pm, awake at 7-8am. Today she woke up at 7:30 and around 10:45 she was getting cranky and looking dazed. So I read her a couple books (she was looking very sleepy in my arms and had heavy eyes) and then when I layed her down she was wide awake and wanted to play. She does this often, no matter what time I try to put her down for a nap, she will want to play for 1/2 hr and then gets angry and starts to cry. I get fed up after an hour and get her out of her crib. I will try agin an hour later with no luck. Am I putting her down too late or too early? I’ve tried putting her down after 2-3 hours or awake timme with the same problem. Sometimes I want until more like 4-5 hours or awake time, and I have the same problem…

• Nicole says:

@Mandy At this age, you’re better off trying to stick to a schedule rather than wait for her to “show” you that she’s ready for a nap. At this age, typical awake time is between 3 & 4 hours. I’d probably split the difference and try 3 1/2 hours, so if she wakes at 7:30, I’d put her down for a nap at 10:45 (goal to sleep by 11) and 3:45 or thereabouts. She might have a later bedtime until she transitions to just one nap. It is typical to have just two naps by 9 months old, so that’s great she was napping 3 times up until a month ago! Good luck!

7. gina says:

My 11 month old daughter sleeps great at night and has since she was 4 months. 7:30pm to 7am. She was also taking two naps daily up until lately. I try putting her down for her first nap about 2 1/2 to 3 hours after she wakes up. She has never needed to be rocked to sleep. She does stay up playing in crib/crawling around for usually about a 1/2 hour and then will fall asleep, again this is only for naps, not at night. She does not cry at all. She actually seems to enjoy her alone time, but, it can be frustrating b/c I never know when she’s going to fall asleep as it can take up to an hour. Am I putting her down to late or early? I really think it’s too early to drop the two naps. If she wakes between 7 and 7:30 what time should I put her down?

Thank you!

• Nicole says:

@Gina I’d probably bump awake time to 3 1/2 hours at this age. It’s great she’s playing and not crying!

8. Jana says:

Hi
    Austin will be 11 months on 28 Dec. I would like him to try to sleep later than 5am. Should I try to put him to bed later in the evenings?
    His schedule is as follows:
    He’ll wake up during the morning anywhere between 03:00 and 04:30 for a bottle
    05:00 – 05:30 wake and wants to play
    06:30 breakfast (baby cereal or morvite)
    08:00 day care
    08:30 – 9 bottle and nap (45 mins)
    11:15 lunch (cooked meal that the school provides)
    12:00 nap (1 – 2 hours)
    14:00 bottle and a snack (fruit, yoghurt, chippies, biscuits etc)
    17:30 dinner (cooked meal or jarred meal) with desert
    18:00 bath
    18:30 bottle, but doesn’t fall asleep with it, he then has a dummy to fall asleep, by 19:00 he is asleep. I hold him in my arms to fall asleep, otherwise he just stands in his cot and cries. I don’t know of any other way of putting him to sleep. The school also hassles, they tried to put him to sleep in their arms, as soon as they put him in the cot, he wakes up and doesn’t go back to sleep. They are now trying to put him to sleep by himself in the cot, but it doesn’t always work, they say he just stands there crying. They later give up and take him out and then he doesn’t get the 2nd nap.
    Thanks any advise

• Nicole says:

@Jana Most of the time changing bedtime alone doesn’t always work and if he doesn’t have a second nap, he’s probably overtired come bedtime which can cause the early wake-ups. It would help to have your son learn to fall asleep at nap time on his own, so he can nap well at school, too. You might want to have a look at my pamphlet on waking too early here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/waking-too-early or my book about naps: http://www.babynapswell.com

9. Eric says:

My son will be a year old on Jan 06, 2010. He sleeps from 7pm to around 4-6am is breast fed and goes back to sleep until 8-9am sometimes needing to be awakened so that my wife can take our 3.5 yo son to pre-school(9-11:30am). When she gets home she puts him down for a nap but sometimes has to wake him so she can pick up our son at pre-school @ 11:30am. Then they have lunch. She trys to put him down for a nap around 2pm with usually no luck. My son is averaging 1/2 to 3/4 sleep all day during his two naps, he just screams and screams for up to an hour before my wife is forced to comfort him. How can we get him to sleep during the day? My wife is loosing her mind.

• Nicole says:

@Eric It sounds like your son has shifted some of his sleep from daytime to night, since he sometimes sleeps up to 14 hours at night alone. Babies will do that pretty readily if they are “allowed” to. The key will be to limit night sleep to 12 hours, so there is more sleep to be had during the daytime. That should rebalance his day and night sleep, so he will nap more. Hope this helps and good luck!

10. Jessica says:

My daughter will be one, at the beginning of Dec. She started sleeping through the night at 3 months,that lasted for about a month and half, then she started getting ear infections which ruined it. But know those are gone hopefully.

And for the last month or so sleeping through the night has not been possibly. Her schedule is as follows:

7:30- 8:00 wake up
    8:30-(baby cereal and 4 oz formula)
    10:00 snack and 4 oz formula
    10:30 nap
    11:30-12 wakes up and lunch
    3:00 snack and 4 to 6 oz formula and nap time
    4:00 wakes up
    6:00 supper
    8:30 snack and 6 oz formula, bed time

She normally falls asleep with the bottle.
    It seems if we put her to bed any earlier she wants up at 4:30 in the morning.And also Wed,Thurs and Sunday night are never the same as the other nights.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks, Jessica

• Nicole says:

@Jessica What does not sleeping through the night mean in your case? For some people that means waking 10 times and others that means waking for one feeding. One thing I notice is she falls asleep with the bottle, does she need a bottle numerous times a night, too? If so, you probably need to read more about sleep associations in the free guide or this article: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association Good luck!