Comments

1. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Aimee – sounds like he may be inching his way towards a 6 months schedule. You can find info on when nap transitions happen, and how to manage them, in the following article:

I wouldn’t rush into dropping that 4th catnap, but you can gradually phase it out and adjust the rest of the naps accordingly.

Hope this helps, Aimee! Best of luck to you – and thanks for commenting! 🙂

@ Heidi — have you downloaded our free guide, 5 Ways To Help Your Child Sleep Through The Night, yet? You can find it here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-naps-2/5-things-to-know-about-baby-toddler-naps/ I think that may provide some good insights for you. In terms of stopping the snacking – most moms are able to do this by gradually stretching the time between feeds (maybe by 10 minutes or so per feed) until you’re leaving a big enough window (2-3 hours) between feedings that your baby is hungry enough for a ‘meal’ at the next feed. Make sense?

Hope this info helps, Heidi! Good luck to you. And thanks for commenting!! 🙂

2. Heidi says:

My son will be 5 months old next week and since about 3 months old (when he entered the ‘wakeful’ period) has gotten into the bad habit of snacking and catnapping, as well as feeding to sleep.He’ll only eat a few ounces at a time, and then has to be fed in order to go to sleep (feeding seems to be the only way to even make him drowsy). He will typically only nap for 40-45 minutes and then can only stay awake for an hour and a half or so, which is very frustrating as his naps always seem to coincide with his feeding! Like I mentioned, he’s gotten into the habit of snacking – he eats a few ounces when first up and then has a few more before going down for a nap. I feel like I spend ALL day either feeding him or putting him down for a nap. Bedtime isn’t as bad – he usually goes to sleep between 6:30-7:30pm and has gotten better at going down ‘drowsy but awake’, although we’re still having several night wakings in which he is awake (we always check to make sure he’s not just fussing in his sleep) and requires a quick sip of a bottle to go back to sleep. I’d like to get him on some sort of routine/schedule, but I have no idea where to even begin. I’m about to just put him down wide awake and let him CIO, but I wondered if anyone had any advice to put an end to the snacking and the short naps. PLEASE HELP!

3. Aimee says:

Hi! Our 5 month old follows a similar schedule to above. We’re finding though, that he is gradually starting to stay awake longer between naps though still only naps for around 35-40mins. We have been doing a cat nap in the evening but it is getting later and later due to the lengthening out of the day’s awake times and in order to keep bedtime regular, I’m giving him less time to sleep for this nap as I try not to let him sleep past a certain time. Soon however, it’s going to get a little ridiculous! (He usually wakes at 6:30am.)

What I’m stuck with is when/how to drop that final nap. If we keep giving him 4 naps, bedtime is going to become later and later but if we drop the 4th one, he can’t stay awake that long in the evening (usually just 2 hours) which would give us a really early bedtime and as a result, most likely an early wake up the next day (which would probably mean a later bedtime the following day but this would change from day to day and I’m wanting to be consistent with bedtimes!)

Feeling so frustrated as I can’t work out how to make it work! Any ideas?!

4. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Kristy – so sorry to hear that you are struggling with naps! I can’t offer any specific advice, because I don’t know your unique situation well enough, but I can point you towards our free guide, 7 Common Napping Mistakes. You can find it here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/free-baby-nap-guide/ You may also want to check out the other napping articles on our site – lots of good info there! You can find napping articles here (https://www.babysleepsite.com/category/baby-naps-2/) and here (https://www.babysleepsite.com/category/naps/).

Hope this is helpful, Kristy! 🙂

5. Kirsty says:

Hi, I have a little boy who is 5.5 months now (will be 6 months next week). Up until now his naps haven’t been too bad – he typically had 4 naps – the first one of the day being about 45 min and the rest about 35 min. Round about 5 months, he even sometimes started lengthening one nap to around 1h15-1h30min (usually the 2nd one, this happened about 3-4 times a week for a couple of weeks). However, suddenly his naps have gone awry! He is now only going down for his naps usually between 2-2h30 awake time where it was previously 1h30-2h00 awake time. This has made it very difficult to get 4 naps in as it’s usually starting to get too close to bedtime for the 4th nap. On top of that his naps have now shortened to 25-30min and gone are the longer naps he was starting to take. I feed him before sleep but don’t let him fall asleep, put him in his cot drowsy (often VERY drowsy, ie. blinks a couple of times, shifts slightly and is gone!). I have tried putting him in his cot more awake but he just starts crying. The only thing that I can think of that has changed is he has started sleeping slightly longer at night – he typically goes to bed round about 6pm, he was previously waking at 5:15-5:30am and he’s now waking 6:00-6:15pm, and he’s also dropped a night feed so is waking less, so whereas he was previously getting 10h30 – 11h00 sleep at night, he is now getting 11h30 – 12h00 sleep. Could this extra sleep at night be the reason he has dropped a nap and shortenend his naps? Or could it be that I am putting him in his cot TOO drowsy? Do we need to do anything about it? His behaviour hasn’t changed significantly, ie. he hasn’t really got more grumpy, the only place it causes a problem is that the length of time between his 3rd nap and bedtime is often too short to get a 4th nap in without bedtime getting too late but slightly too long before bedtime which results in him being overtired come bedtime and falls asleep while feeding before bed. I tried to move his bedtime even earlier (5:30pm) to avoid him getting overtired, but this backfired as despite having done the bedtime routine as normal, he woke up after 35min and it took another hour to get him back to sleep!

6. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Meagan — the schedule above is for a 5 month old, so you definitely wouldn’t want to use this for your 10 month old! 😉 You can find our 10 month schedule here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/schedules/10-month-old-schedule/

As for how to adjust the schedule – this is really dependent on your baby’s temperament and sensitivity to over tiredness. Some adjusting may be necessary, but I would experiment and see what works well for him. Hope this helps!

7. Megan says:

If my 10-month old sleeps in or takes a longer nap than usual, should the rest of his schedule be pushed back by that much? (I.e., if he goes down for his morning nap at 8:30 and sleeps until 10:30, should I still put him down for his second nap at his “normal” time of 1:00 pm, or should I adjust it to 1:30?) Thanks!

8. Heather says:

Yes, that helps. It’s just depressing to know that 4 times is normal. My 11 m/o was nursing that much at 5 months old, but it was something I definitely wanted to fix. 🙂

• Emily DeJeu says:

@ Heather – ha! Yes, I hear you – depressing for the parents who are getting up that often!! We try to keep the range of night feeds pretty big, to account for families who are committed to nursing on demand and for those families whose little ones need to eat frequently for medical reasons.

9. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Heather — no, not a typo 🙂 If you figure that ‘at night’ for many families means the 12 hour period from bedtime to wake time (like perhaps 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.), then some 5 month olds will feed that many times. It is a lot, to be sure, but it represents one end of the spectrum. We would expect most 5 month olds to wake at least once during the night to feed, but probably not more than twice, on average.

Does that help?

10. Heather says:

You say, “At least 7-10 breastfeeding sessions per day (5-6 during daylight hours, and 2-4 at night)”.

Is that a typo? 4 feedings at night seems way too much for a 5 month old.