Comments

1. Hayley Jenkins says:

Help!!! My 5 month old will not go to sleep unless I’m holding her. She used to go to sleep fine if I rocked her, but now she screams until I stand up. I know it’s my own fault for ending up like this, but how do I fix it? Is she too young to cry it out? Even if I catch her before she’s overtired it’s a struggle everytime. ?

• Danielle says:

Hi Hayley,
      Thank you so much for your comment, and for using The Baby Sleep Site as a resource – we would love to help you and your family get better sleep! Based on your baby’s age and the sudden change of sleep habits, I wonder if you’re dealing with the 4 month sleep regression. It’s a very common trouble spot at this age, and can feel like it came out of nowhere. We do have an article that explains what the regression is, and how to handle it, here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/4-month-sleep-regression/
      And, if your baby is healthy and was born on time, it is generally safe to sleep train any time after 4 months-old. We do recommend checking in with your pediatrician before beginning any kind of sleep training, just to rule out any medical issues that may be affecting sleep. Once you do that, please check out our sleep training article series, which will take you through the most popular types of sleep training from no-cry to cry-it-out, so you can decide which might be a good fit for you: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-training-from-no-cry-to-cry-series-part-1/
      I hope this helps, but please get in touch if you have any other questions! Good luck!

2. Angela says:

I am on day 4 and can’t believe how my baby falls asleep when it’s nap time ! Since day 1 he would only sleep in someone’s arms and cat nap only 20 minutes during the day (unless he was in someone’s arms). He is sleeping in his playpen at nap time and falls asleep within 5 minutes of rocking him. He still doesn’t sleep during the night but I see an improvement already!

• Danielle says:

Hi Angela,
      Thank you so much for using The Baby Sleep Site as a resource, and for letting us know how your work on sleep is going! I’m so glad to hear you are seeing improvement for nap times. Congratulations, and good luck moving forward! Please let us know if we can ever be of more help 🙂

3. Dana says:

Is it possible my little one (5 months old) is napping too much during the day? He takes about 4 naps a day for about 5-6 hours, but at night sometimes he doesn’t “go to bed” until almost 9pm, and he’s still waking to nurse again at 4am (and sometimes goes back to sleep, and sometimes doesn’t). Should I start waking him during the day to shorten his naps so he will sleep more at night?

• Janelle Reid says:

@Dana, Thank you for commenting! It is possible he is getting a little too much sleep during the day which is taking away from his night time sleep. This is not always the case as all babies are different and some need to sleep more than others so proceed with caution to make sure he doesn’t get overtired. You may find this article helpful in deciding if waking him up from his last nap is the right thing to do or not: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/4-times-wake-your-baby-sleep/
      If you find you need additional help with this issue, please let us know! We have an amazing team of sleep consultants that would love to help. You can view all of our package options here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/services Thank you for using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource for sleep!

4. Amanda says:

My little one is a catnapper. Her first three naps are usually around 45 minutes, but sometimes they can be closer to 30 minutes, sometimes an hour. The last nap of the day doesn’t happen unless I’m holding her- then I can usually get 30 minutes out of her. My question is, with this schedule, should I keep the nap times (8, 11, 2, and 5) regardless of how long her previous nap was or should I alter it each day based on her previous nap? I feel like she needs consistency but her naps are all over the place.

• Janelle Reid says:

@Amanda, Thanks for using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource for sleep! I am sorry you are struggling with a catnapper. It can definitely be tough, but it is still totally normal. As much as a by the clock schedule would be nice, she may not be ready for it just yet. We would suggest basing it off her wake up time each day for now. In a month or two, she may be ready for a more rigid schedule, but basing it off her last wake up time will help prevent her from getting over tired, which we want to make sure we prevent that to the best of our ability!
      I hope this helps and her naps lengthen for you soon!

5. Jo cronly says:

For this five month old schedule you have listed when you can offer solids at breakfast but when do you recommend offering solids in the late afternoon for dinner?

• Neosha says:

@Jo – Thank you for stopping in to our sleepy little village and for your question! If your little one is taking solids, you can develop a feeding schedule however you see fit, really, by dividing up your baby’s recommended portions throughout the day. This article may give you some helpful information: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-solids-how/solid-food-feeding-schedule/

I hope this information is useful, Jo. Please keep reading!

6. Nate says:

Our 5 month old son has the following schedule:
    7am wake, feed and play till 8:30a
    8:30-10a nap
    10a feed and play till 11:30a
    11:30-1p nap
    1p feed and play till 2:30p
    2:30p-4p nap
    4p-5:30p feed and play
    5:30-7p nap
    7p feed and bedtime routine(bath, books, massage)
    7:45 sleep
    8:30p diaper change and feed
    8:30p-7a sleep

He consumes between 28-36 oz of breast milk per day. He loves the schedule and almost never cries since we started a schedule for him. His stats: weight is 12%, head 55%, length 88%. He’s a tall skinny boy.

I see so many parents struggling and it definitely took some work (and patience) to get him on a schedule, but he is such a better and happier baby. We’ve had him on schedules since about 2.5 months.. obviously the current is for his current age, but we had other schedules that matched his needs at younger ages. We just started introducing a little cereal as our pediatrician recommended it for his reflux and he took to that pretty easily.

• Janelle Reid says:

@Nate, That is wonderful to hear your son loves his schedule and is doing so well with it! Thank you for commenting and using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource!

7. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Nicole — see my comment to @Rachael, above. I think both of those articles may be a big help to you! I’d also suggest checking out our Mastering Naps & Schedules book – the whole thing is devoted to helping your baby establish a good, consistent daytime schedule. You can read more about the book here: http://www.babynapswell.com\

Hope this is helpful to you, Nicole! Best of luck, and thanks for commenting. 🙂

8. Nicole says:

I should also note that she is generally a very happy baby. The times that I can see the lack of naps catching up to her are in the evenings once we reach 6-7pm she can get ultra fussy and hard to please, rarely inconsolable. But throughout the day, despite the missed naps she keeps on trucking, happily playing, etc.

9. Nicole says:

I am struggling horribly with a schedule for my 5 month old daughter. She can wake anytime between 6:45am-8am. From there she eats, plays for anywhere between 1hr-2hrs and then is typically ready for a nap. Sometimes this nap can either be 2hrs or 30 minutes. From there the rest of the day is a mess. A MESS! I’ll try to put her down for a nap, depending on how long her earlier nap was and what time she actually woke for the day, roughly 2 hours after she woke up from her nap. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes I get an hour or more out of her, other times it’s only 30 minutes. Sometimes it’s no nap at all. From there I’ll try again the next opportunity I get based on her cues. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I basically troubleshoot from there based on how the day has gone. Seriously, some days she will have only 1 nap. I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong, and why she doesn’t want to nap or stay asleep. She’s clean, she’s fed, she’s in her crib in a dark quiet room with a noise machine. I am at my wits end with what to do. I really worry that she doesn’t get enough sleep. She’s usually in her crib asleep by 9pm, and will sometimes wake for 1 night feeding between 5-6am. If she wakes closer to 5am she’ll go back to sleep for about 2 hours before she wakes again. I’m really concerned and clueless what else I can do. Please help! Any advice is appreciated!

10. Rachael says:

My 5 month old can fall asleep by herself when put down. She was colicky for the first 3 months and it has taken her a long time to organize her day sleep. She wakes up at inconsistent times everyday and has started to go to sleep for the night earlier and earlier. It seems that no matter the length of her naps each day, she will only take 3 naps a day. Her awake times are slowly stretching but she can usually manage 1hr 45min. I’ve tried to put her down for a fourth nap and if I wake her after 30-40 minutes, she will wail until you put her back to bed. This sometimes puts bedtime around 4pm! She wakes up every 3-5 hours to feed and wakes up somewhere in the 3 to 4 range babbling and we change her and put her back to bed. She will babble for 20-40 minutes and then usually sleep until the 5-7 range. It’s just all over the place! I don’t know if I should put her on a schedule or just leave things as they are and hope they sort themselves out. I just don’t know how to help her sleep at roughly the same times everyday, so that we can get a bit later bedtime! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

• Emily DeJeu says:

@Rachael — Oh, no, this sounds rough!! This kind of inconsistency isn’t unusual at 5 months; plenty of babies are still working on consolidating sleep at this age! We actually just published an article on this topic; you can find it here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/4-month-5-month-baby-schedule/ I think this will really help. I can say that 4 p.m. is too early for bedtime; I’d say no real ‘bedtimes’ before 6 p.m. You might also be interested in this article, on how to gently help a 6 month old baby get on a schedule: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/6-month-old-baby-schedule-3-steps/ I know your baby isn’t quite 6 months yet, but the principles would still apply.

Hope this helps, Rachael! Thanks for commenting. 🙂