No products in the cart.

Comments

1. Monica says

Hi, my 5m old takes short naps (30-45min) and he is not very consistent with awake time (AT). Sometimes nap follows after 1 hr of AT sometimes 2 hr AT. I try to have him asleep by 7:30p for the night. Problem is when he wakes up from nap around 4:30 pm, this leaves 3hr AT till bed, too long, he gets overtired but if I put him for another nap at say 5:45pm this stretches his bedtime. Is this ok (that he goes to bed later even though its not convenient for our family as I try to put baby to sleep and then my 5.5yo) or should I try to work the AT during the day so as to stretch it in a way that to have him take last nap little later so that he will wake from it say 5:30pm.

• Janelle Reid says

Hi @Monica, thanks for writing to us. I’m sorry that you’ve been having trouble with your son’s schedule. Some babies don’t really “get” the schedule until 6 months or so, so hopefully he will jump on the bandwagon soon and become a little more predictable for the sake of your family. It is so challenging juggling 2 schedules. To help lengthen out the naps and therefore make your schedule a little more predictable, you may want to download our free guide with nap tips here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/free-baby-nap-guide/
      You also may want to check out our ebook all about Mastering Naps & Schedules. You can read more about the book and purchase online here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/mastering-naps/
      I hope this helps and that things get more consistent for him soon!

2. Kristi says

Hi – my baby is 5 1/2 months old and has been doing four naps a day for a few months. His last nap usually ends at 5:30 and then I feed him at 7:30 and he is asleep by 8. He usually falls asleep while feeding, but if he wakes up when I put him down, he usually fusses for 5 or 10 minutes and then falls asleep on his own.
    BUT, the past several nights, he has been fighting bedtime. I try to put him down at 8, but he cries for a long time and doesn’t fall asleep until about 9. Does this mean I am putting him to bed too early? Or do you think he has a sleep association problem?

• Danielle says

Hi Kristi,
      Thank you for visiting The Baby Sleep Site! I’m sorry to hear you’re having some trouble getting your baby to fall asleep at night. It sounds very frustrating, especially since he was doing well! It may very well be a scheduling issue as some 6 month-olds need three hours between the last nap and bedtime, but there are so many possibilities that it’s hard to know for sure. You can check out our 6 month-old baby schedule with more information here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/schedules/6-month-old-baby-schedule/
      Or, this is definitely something one of our sleep consultants could help with, if the problem continues. Best of luck!

• Kristi says

Thanks for the advice!

3. Rachel O'Dwyer says

Hello our baby is generally a good day time napper ans is eating around 3-4 4 oz bottles through our the day. He is waking up every 2-3 hours at night to continue to take
    A bottle how do I get him to sleep through the night ?’

• Janelle Reid says

Hi @Rachel O’Dwyer, thanks for writing. I am sorry you’ve been struggling with multiple wake ups per night. At this age we’d consider 1-2 wake ups per night normal but anything beyond that is likely a sleep association. We have a free guide available you can download with tips on how to get your baby on track for a normal amount of wakings by breaking those sleep associations. Here is the link to download: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-through-night-free-ebook/
      If you need more help, let us know! We have a variety of resources that go more into detail if needed. Contact us anytime here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/contact
      I hope this helps!

4. Chris says

Hello. Our son is 5 months old now and his sleep habits needs some work. At an early age our son, who was 5 weeks early, had gurd issues so we were unable to lay him down due to reflux. He became accustomed to sleeping on my wife’s chest. The reflux has gotten a bit better with age but now we, namely my wife as he wants nothing to do with daddy at sleep time, are finding ourselves constantly walking our son and trying everything we can to get him to sleep. He will not sleep on his own and we refuse to let him CIO. So we have created a bit of a sleep problem both for baby and mama. He sleeps decent, when he doesn’t miss his naps, but mama is completely sleep deprived. We don’t want him to feel abandoned but we need to get him self-comforting and able to sleep on his own. Mom is a very strong woman and I am still in awe as to how she does it but we need help. Any ideas?

• Janelle Reid says

Hi @Chris, thank you for your comment. I am sorry you’ve been struggling with your son’s sleep. We would love to help. There are several options for a gentler training to independent sleep than CIO for sure, and here at the Baby Sleep Site, we like to start with gentler methods because we are parents ourselves and know minimal crying is every parents desire. Since you’ve been struggling from the beginning, I would suggest working with a sleep consultant so they could give you specific suggestions for your situation with a gentle approach. If you are interested in working with one of our sleep consultants you can view our packages online here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-toddler-sleep-consulting-services/ or contact us directly here where we can figure out what the best fit for your family would be: https://www.babysleepsite.com/contact
      I hope this helps!

5. Elena says

Good morning, thank you for all the great information on this website. My daughter is 5 1/2 months old and has been sleeping 12 hours at night for about 2 months. Yes we are very happy and feel fortunate about that. She normally is asleep by 7 p.m. and is up around 7 am. Her naps were also very good, for about 3 weeks, she was napping twice a day for an hour and a half and then her last nap was about 30 minutes. We thought we skipped the “four month sleep regression”, until about 2 weeks ago when her 3 naps went back to 30 to 45 minutes! She normally gets an average of 14- 15 hours of sleep a day, but we don’t understand why her naps have regressed. We haven’t changed anything we’re doing or anything about her sleep environment. I am very strict about keeping her awake no longer than 2 hours during the day, and we try to follow Eat Play Sleep, but when she wakes up early from her naps, that’s hard to do.

She is formula fed, eats 4 times a day, approximately every 3 to 3.5 hours. That was working really well when her naps were longer. But what we want to know now is, since her naps are shorter, should we feed her sooner and try to stick to the max 2 hour awake time? She eats about 28-30oz total a day.

She sleeps in her crib since the day she got home from the hospital, and does not use a pacifier, never has. Her room is very dark, and we use white noise.

When we saw her pediatrician at her 4-month checkup, her sleep was excellent, 12 hours at night, two 1.5 hr naps and a third cat nap so we didn’t ask what to do. But I’m wondering how we get past this nap regression and back to the minimum two long naps like she used to have.

Thank you very much for any advice and tips!
    Elena

• Debbye @ The Baby Sleep Site says

Hi @Elena –
      Thank you for writing, and we are happy to hear that our articles and information has been helpful! You may be correct in that she is experiencing the dreaded 4 month sleep regression a little late. Do feel free to go back to the 4 month schedule, since her naps are short at the moment:
      As she gets a bit older, her naps may lengthen naturally, but if you find that she is still struggling with short naps in another few weeks or so, please do contact us and we’d be happy to send you some info on help that will be a good fit for you.
      Good luck and hang in there!

6. Wendy says

My 5 month old is a great daytime sleeper – naps are generally 1-2 hours, awake time is never more than 1.5 hours. He goes to sleep around 7pm, wakes at 2am to eat, and goes down easily again by 2:30. But most days, he then wakes between 4:30 or 5 and is clearly NOT ready to be awake. He falls asleep nursing, but once I pull him off the boob, he is “up” up – cranky, but not OK going right back to sleep like he does at 2. I’ve tried letting him cry for 10 minutes instead of nursing OR after nursing, but I’m hesitant to let him cry too long at that hour, as I don’t want him to wake the toddler and I’m not sure he will actually go back to sleep? What’s worked is playing quietly with him in the bed for another 20 minutes (so he’s up 50min total) and then he’ll go down for about one more hour of sleep. But this doesn’t really feel like a solution since he obviously needs that second stretch in the night to be longer. Any suggestions? Many thanks!!

• Janelle Reid says

Hi @Wendy, thanks for writing! I am sorry you’ve been struggling with the second stretch of the 5 month old’s sleep. It is tough to say what the cause of his alertness is without knowing the full story, but you may find our free guide on how to help your baby sleep through the night will help give you an idea of how to better work through this problem. Here is a link to sign up to receive the guide: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-through-night-free-ebook/
      If he continues to do this, we would love to work with you and help solve this with you. You can view our various options to work one-on-one with one of our sleep consultants here:https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-toddler-sleep-consulting-services/
      I hope this helps! Hang in there!

7. Kelly says

My son is 5 months this week & he loves to sleep! I am hoping the 4 month sleep regression skipped us.
    Currently he goes to bed between 9-10pm
    Wake up is between 8-9am
    For the rest of the day he usually only makes it 2 hours (2.5 max) awake b4 needing a nap.
    So we feed him, play with him, and then nap him.
    He has no issues falling asleep and naps vary everyday & every nap (30 mins-3 hours). I never know if I have time to get things done or not lol, I just have to guess.
    He does get angry at bedtime… usually about 10-15 mins of crying b4 he will fall asleep.

• Neosha says

@Kelly – Thank you for stopping by our sleepy little village and for sharing! It sounds like things are going well for you guys – keep up the good work and please keep reading!

8. Vicki says

My 5 month old does really well with napping during the day but at night is awful. She won’t go to sleep until 12:00 most nights, sometimes later. I can see she’s sleepy, but she just refuses to go to sleep. We keep the lights low and sounds quiet to try to set up the night environment. Even feeding won’t help. She is starting to sleep longer periods at night (5-7 hours). Is this normal? We don’t really have a set routine timewise during the day bc I’m feeding on demand, but we follow the eat play sleep pattern.

• Janelle Reid says

Hi @Vicki, and thanks for writing! I am glad to hear you are having success during the day, but I know that can be incredibly frustrating for things to go crazy at night, and that’s great she’s been giving you some longer stretches at night! We actually have a free guide available for you to download with additional help on sleeping through the night! You can sign up to download it here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-through-night-free-ebook/ Hopefully with the free guide and the sample 5 month old schedule (even if it’s loosely in place with feeding times – I always fed on demand too when my babies were little) you will start to see some improvement. If the resisting sleep persists and you need more help, feel free to contact us here for more information on other resources we have: https://www.babysleepsite.com/contact
      I hope this helps! Hang in there!

9. Jessie says

My 5 month old son generally wakes up for the day at 6am. He has breast milk and then cereal and fruit. He is then ready for his first nap at 7:30am. He generally sleeps for 1-1.5hours unless we have to go drop off my older son at Playschool and then it may be only 45minutes. Once he wakes, he drinks breast milk and then plays / interacts before going for his next nap between 10 and 10:30am. He then sleeps for 30-45minutes at which time he wakes, has breast milk and lunch (meat and veggies and fruit for dessert). He then goes down between 12 and 1pm and sleeps for about 2 hours. Once he wakes, it’s milk again and play. Then between 4-4:30pm he has a 30-45 minute nap followed by supper. Bedtime is usually between 6 and 7pm. He is quite restless during all of his naps. We have white noise playing, the room is black like at night due to two layers of blackout curtains and blinds. He is put in his bed drowsy but awake almost always. He has a harder time falling asleep for naps but bedtime he is a rock star and that room is a little lighter than his bedroom (he still sleeps in our room for another month). Once asleep, he wakes about 3 hours later and then every 2-3 hours after that. So wakes between 9:30-10pm then between 12-1am then between 3 and 4am and then around 5:30am which I can usually get him back to sleep until 6am but only with cuddling. How do I get him to sleep longer at night? And to sleep to 6am without cuddling?

Thanks in advance for the help!

• Janelle Reid says

Hi @Jessie, thanks for stopping by the Baby Sleep Site and leaving a comment! If you haven’t yet, you may find our free guide with tips to help your baby sleep through the night (or in your case, longer stretches) which you can sign up to download here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-through-night-free-ebook/
      If things don’t lengthen out for you soon, let us know, we have a lot of resources that can help. Please feel free to contact us directly if you are interested here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/contact
      Hang in there!

10. Brittany Christensen says

My baby is six months old but can barely stay awake for an hour and 15 min before giving me all his sleepy cues. He goes to bed easily at 7pm every night wakes for a feeding like clock with at 10/10:30 & at 4:30 am and then is wide awake by 6/6:30 whether I feed him or not and won’t generally go back to sleep. The problem is, I take my
    Little girl to school and he cannot really make it to 8:30 for the first nap. He’s pretty upset and ready for bed on the drive back home and would prefer to go to sleep again by 8. Then throughout the day no matter how long he slept, he generally starts getting fussy exactly 1.25 hours from last nap and is only content if I am walking and holding him but I can’t sit down so I generally wind up putting him down for another nap. So his schedule more closely resembles this 5minth schedule not the 6 month and even some of these awake stretches seem to push him limits. Is this normal and should I be concerned? I’ve tried “stretching him” but that results in an over tired baby that screams and screams when I do put him down. I’d like to be able to go longer between naps tho.

• Janelle Reid says

@Brittany Christensen, Thank you for writing to us and sharing your story with us. I am sorry you’ve been struggling with a sleepy 6 month old and that you’re having trouble timing his naps with your daughter’s drop offs. Here is a link to an article on our blog about juggling schedules: https://www.babysleepsite.com/schedules/baby-toddler-sleep-schedule-juggling/
      If you have any concern about his sleepiness, it can never hurt to give your doctor a call just to make sure all is well. And if you would like help getting a schedule together that works well with both of your children’s schedules, I think you would benefit from working one-on-one with our amazing team of sleep consultants. If you are interested, please contact us directly here and we can help you select the package that will be best for your situation: https://www.babysleepsite.com/contact
      Hang in there!