Comments

1. jennifer says:

I feel like the luckiest mom on the planet! Our 8 month old son has been sleeping through the night since he was 2 months! In bed at 7pm and up at 7-8 am! And he takes 3 naps a day!

• Nicole says:

@Jennifer That’s great!!! I wish we were all that fortunate! Enjoy.

2. Mandy says:

I want to add to my last post… She will have a nap 2 hrs after she wakes from approx 10-12. Then only about a 30 min nap from 2:30-3 (or 3-3:30).

3. Savannah says:

Hi, my son will be 8 months old on the 13th of this month. He started sleeping through the night when he was 2 months old, but since he turned 6 monhs old, he’s up anywhere from 2-7 times a night. He’s breastfed, and that’s the only way I can get him back to sleep. He will cry and cry until I put him on the breast. He goes to sleep at night between 8-9 and gets up between 7-8. A lot of days he doesn’t even take a nap, but if he does it usually only lasts for an hour. I really need help, I am finding myself more and more drained every day. Most people tell me to let him cry it out, but I don’t think that is an option for me.

• Nicole says:

@Savannah It sounds like your son most definitely has a sleep association with nursing. Here is the article about it: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association There is a lot in between sleep deprivation and cry-it-out and the key is to find a method that does suit you and your family and will lead to success. There are many options. Good luck!

4. Mandy says:

My 8 month old sleeps great at night and has been since very early on. She sleeps 7pm-8am! Does she still need 2-3 hours of nap time during the day if she gets 13 of sleep at night? She lately has been going down for only 2 naps and if her 2nd nap ends early (let’s say before 2pm) I will put her to bed earlier or she will be grumpy.

• Nicole says:

@Mandy Many 8 month olds transition to just two naps, so that sounds great! 🙂 Sleeping 13 hours is great, so I wouldn’t worry if the naps aren’t as long as others if she’s not too grumpy. If she is grumpy, you might try limiting night sleep to “just” 12 hours and then that will leave more sleep for the daytime. Good luck!

5. Shanti says:

My 8 month old daughter sleep for 10 hours in the night and during the day she sleeps for around 2 hours( half an hour-Morning nap, 1 hour afternoon nap and half an hour-late afternoon nap). Sometimes she sleeps for 2 hours in the afternoon. Please tell me if this is enough and also most often than not she wakes up from her sleep howling as if she has seen some nightmare. But she quitens down the moment we pick her up. She sleeps beside me. Please advise if this is normal.

• Nicole says:

@Shanti Yes, she sounds like she’s getting enough sleep and she might just wake up before coming out of her sleep cycle completely. She will most likely outgrow it. Good luck and thanks for commenting!

6. Rami says:

Hello…
    My 8 months old baby boy…he sleeps at night about 10.30-11pm then in mrng wake up around 7.30-7.45am…then he have shower and milk and sleeps again at 9-9.30am and wake up around 10.30-10.45am, then he plays have solid food milk then in the afternoon he sleeps around 1.30-2.00pm and sometimes he wake after 30 mins only sometimes he wake up after 1 hour, then again he have one more small sleep in the evening….so pls. sugeest me his schedule is ok?

• Nicole says:

@Rami At this age, I expect 11-12 hours of sleep at night and 2-3 hours during the day, so I think bedtime sounds very late. I’d look into moving bedtime earlier. The naps sound like they could be a little better, but the two 1-hour naps plus a small catnap sounds fine. He just needs more night-sleep. Good luck!

7. Jamie says:

Hello,

I pretty much have my son on the 1st schedule for 9 mos. The only difference is that I nap him 2.5 hours after wake time in the am. Because of this, his breakfast and lunch are given only 15 mins prior to each nap. I’m wondering if it’s normal/OK to be giving solids this close to naptime, or if it’s better to have an hour inbetween.

Also, did you experience with your first son that the 1st schedule took away from his playtime? I have to keep him from crawling or laying on his stomach for 15-30 mins after time he drinks/eats, which means he can’t play on the floor every 2 hours! Because of this, I thought my schedule for him was crazy, but I’m glad to see someone else has done it 🙂

Lastly (sorry), I’d like to try schedule two, but can you explain to me why the milk needs to be started and stopped around the solid meal?

Thanks!

• Nicole says:

@Jamie If this schedule is working for you, by all means continue. Things will change, though, because pretty soon 15 minutes won’t ever be enough time to get a meal in once they get into feeding himself and toddler time is a lot slower. 😀 Also, having solids so close could promote pooping in the middle of the nap rather than before it. But, if it’s not a problem now, don’t worry about it. And, yes, we had to limit tummy time b/c of all the spread out eating, but don’t worry, he crawled anyway and then walked 3 weeks later. It works out. 🙂 The goal of the start/stop of the milk is because if they are too full, they won’t eat the solids and if they are too hungry, sometimes they won’t have the patience to wait for the solids to start satisfying them. So, this way you curb hunger, but they are still hungry enough to be open to solids. Hope this helps! Good luck!

8. Alexis says:

My 8 month usually doens’t take naps during the day. There’s too much excitement at the babysitters and she wants be involved in every part of it. Every day from 5-7:30 she takes a nap. Once the older kids go back to school I’m sure she’ll sart to take naps again. But then she goes to bed at 9 pm. every night and usually sleep though the night. Is 9 pm to late to put her to bed?

9. Shauna says:

I have an 8 month old son, and he is also my first. I am trying really hard to understand what type of an eating schedule he should be on. I have breastfed him since he was born and I introduced solids at 5 months. I now feed him 3 times a day at 7:30, 1:30 and 7:30, but I feel like this may not be enough…although he eats quite a bit at each feeding. In the morning I give him 2 ounces of breastmilk with cereal and a stage 2 fruit, I then top him off by breastfeeding. At lunch I give him a stage 2 vegetable and then breastfeed him. At dinner I give him a stage 2 vegetable and meat and then top him off with breastmilk. I recently started giving him 2 ounces of juice in between his meals. I’m afraid that he doesn’t get enough breastmilk and maybe he needs to eat more. Please help!

• Nicole says:

@Shauna A healthy baby will neither starve himself or overeat (those are learned behaviors), so he would tell you if he isn’t giving enough. If he is gaining well at his doctor’s visits I would try not to worry too much. If he isn’t taking in enough breast milk, you may want to consider cutting back on solids so he’s hungrier. Water is typically recommended over juice, but 4 ounces of juice in a day (especially hot days) does not sound like too much. Good luck!

@Alexis Usually 9pm is late for many babies, but given the late nap, this isn’t surprising. All families find the schedule that works for them, so if she is otherwise sleeping well, it might be okay for her. If she’s waking a lot at night, the lack of naps and late bedtime are contributing. Hopefully now that school is back in session, things have settled down allowing her to nap again. Good luck!

10. Chrystal says:

Please help me with your advice. I have a 7 month old who started sleeping through the night at 2 months from 8pm-7am. Then all of a sudden at 5 1/2 months he started waking several times and wont sleep in his crib at night. He sleep with us, which is causing me to get no sleep. Once he falls asleep I try to move him to his crib and in a few minutes he is awake and crying. I can move him back to my bed and as soon as his head hits my bed he is sound asleep again. What can I do???