Comments

1. Sarah says:

My son is almost 8 months old and for the past week he has been getting up for the day between 5:30 and 6 a.m. I’ve made sure his room dark and left him to see if he’ll go back to sleep but he just plays in his crib. He goes to bed at 6:45 or 7 p.m. and takes two naps in the day of about 1 hour and 20 minutes each (the first starts between 8 and 9 and the second is around 12:30 or 1). He recently dropped his third nap.

He is getting close to 14 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period, which I know should be enough. But because he’s up so early, by the time bedtime rolls around he is overtired. I don’t want to put him to bed any earlier because I don’t want him to get up any earlier.

Is it normal for a baby to get up so early? Is there anything else I can do to encourage him to sleep in a bit later?

• Kimberly says:

Hi Sarah,
      Nicole specifically address this issue here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/waking-too-early/ and explains that it all has to do with a good baby sleep schedule which may need to be shifted a bit to eliminate the early waking. She covers how to do this in her e-book.

2. Stephanie says:

My son is a little over 7 months. he has been sleeping trough the night since he was four months from 9pm – 7am. and takes two 2 – 3 hour naps and sometimes a catnap… the past few weeks he has been sleeping 9pm – 9am not everyday but more than id like… it worries me and he still takes all of his naps he is very happy and eats normally so i dont know if it is just him growing or what.

• Kimberly says:

Hi Stephanie,
      Could be a growth spurt. You might want to check with your pediatrician just be sure.

3. Kimberly says:

@ Alice- I’d recommend checking with your pediatrician about her eating habits. If she’s sleeping fine, napping fine and meeting her milestones, then she’s probably fine and may just be going through a phase. Healthy babies won’t starve themselves and will eat when hungry. Just try to stick with your schedule and if she seems hungry at other times, go ahead and feed her.

4. Alice says:

I’m concerned that my soon to be 8 month old daughter isn’t getting enough formula. she sleeps through the night with no problems and has two naps a day which both last maybe 10-40 minutes (40 if we are both lucky). she eats a 7oz. bottle in the morning. then around noon she has a 6oz. bottle and about 2 tblsp. of rice and a baby spoon of fruit. then in the afternoon she gets 2-4oz. of juice and she has another 7oz. bottle later. then at night i try to give her 2 tblsp. of veggies and another 6oz. bottle. this schedule has more or less (with some slight changes as her appetite has grown) worked for her since she was almost 6 months old but lately she has decided that she won’t eat a whole 6oz. bottle at dinner and sometimes she refuses to eat the veggie. what should i do?

5. Fleur says:

Hi there my daughter is 8 months old and wakes up at 4:00 am most nights, she doesn’t want feeding, she just wants to be awake. She goes to bed between 7 and 8 pm. I am having some difficulties in getting her back to sleep especially as I cannot leave her to cry as she shares her bedroom with her sister who is 9 and has to get up for school.

I really don’t know what to do with her should I try dream feeding her again ? Although I don’t really want to take a backwards step ! I am due back at work in two weeks and would really like her to be sleeping to at least 6:00 am

Your comments would be appreciated.

• Nicole says:

@Fleur If she’s not hungry, I wouldn’t bother with the additional feeding. Without knowing her whole schedule, it’s hard to say, but sometimes a too-late bedtime causes waking too early in the morning, so if she’s overtired by bedtime, try 30 minutes earlier and see if it improves.

6. Diana Johnson says:

The sample schedules listed above seem a little extreme. Five feedings a day is quite a bit. Your schedules had them eating every 2 1/2 hours when an eight month old only needs to eat every 3-4 hours. The problem is that if they are feeding that often, they may just be getting the letdown which is watery and less fatty which may mean they don’t sleep as well. I know my son, who is now 8 months, had some sleeping issues earlier on because I was nursing him constantly and he wasn’t getting any of the fatty hind milk… Just a thought. He now eats every 3 hours, sometimes 4 and sleeps 12 hours at night with two 1-2 hour naps.

• Nicole says:

@Diana You should always encourage a full feeding to get the fatty hind milk (if breastfeeding). These are just sample schedules. Not all babies can go 3-4 hours between feedings and the more they can eat during the day, the less they eat at night, so I err on the side of more feeding during the day and less at night, but yes, you should make sure they get the hind milk and if that means that they then can go longer without eating, then so be it. Thank you for sharing your story and commenting!

7. kayla says:

o im sorry by the way when she gets up at 11am she will be up for about 3hrs n take a nap about 45 min long depends sometimes its shorter and her second nap will be around 5 or she will take a nap later.

8. kayla says:

my baby is 8 months old now she wakes up at 11:00am and doesn’t fall asleep till 3or4am inn the morning sometimes it will be later. around 12-1pm at nightshe will be tired but wont fallasleep its like she does things to keep herself up. my myself have a sleeping problem.please some one give me some advice i know she shouldnt be sleeping in at 11am but she does not fall asleep till so late.

9. Jennifer says:

I think we have figured out the spit up! He was just having too much at one time and it was also about me feeding him on a schedule instead of listening to his cues more. He was eating when he was not hungry. Now it just depends on him, when he is hungry…the older he has gotten…the more he stretches out his 4 hours ot 5 hours sometimes. Thanks Nicole for the advice! I tried to split up the milk and the food at the same time…like give milk and solid and milk again and once he seen the milk he did not want the food much! So with him I have to give that seperate, like 15 min after the food. or before, whatever. Thanks for being a listening board though. Joshua makes his own schedule and sometimes it fits in to ours and sometimes it does not , but that is ok! He is still 8 months old. Thanks again! For you and everyone’s comments! the spit up might just be a phase also?

• Nicole says:

@Jennnifer Just catching up to everything and in my dashboard I see everything in date order, not per post, so I’m glad you found something that is working! It is common for them to spit up while their sphincter matures. Glad it’s gotten better! 🙂

10. Savannah says:

Hi Nicole, I wrote you a few weeks ago and got some really helpful advice from the link you gave me. I decided I had to let my son cry it out, I hate doing it but it’s the only thing that has worked. My only problem is that I have been doing it now for almost two weeks but he still cries every night when I put him in the crib..sometimes he cries for up to 20 minutes. Do you know of anything I can do to make it easier for him? And thanks for all your help!