Comments

1. Tink says:

I just found this website and it has so much great info! Thanks!

Now, I have a few questions:

1) My 9 month old son has two naps: the first around noon, and the second around 5pm. Is the 5pm nap way too late? It lasts for about a half hour to one hour. After he wakes up, he plays, eats, bath, book and back to bed around 8:30 – 9pm.

2) He is still waking up several times a night! Mommy and Daddy are exhausted! He wakes at 1am, 3am, 5am, and finally 7am. We don’t know what to do and we’re not ready for the crying it out method. =(

3) He doesn’t like to drink much breastmilk. At 9 months, the doctor says he’s in the 25% for weight at 18 lbs. On a good day, if I’m lucky, he’ll drink around 20 ounces a day total–but this is usually not the case. I try to offer him the bottle every couple of hours, but he’s just not interested!

Any advice would be wonderful!

• Nicole says:

@Tink You’re welcome!

1) Those are very late naps. What time does he wake up in the morning?
      2) I’d need more information to help with this. The whole site is dedicated to solving this problem and the non-napping problem. 🙂 It is possible the later naps are contributing.
      3) 20 ounces of breast milk is actually normal. 25%-ile is fine as long as he’s staying on his curve and staying consistent. Is your doctor worried? If you read Kelly Mom, you’ll see that 20 ounces is actually just fine, so I would not worry. A healthy baby will neither undereat or overeat. Here’s the Kelly Mom site: http://www.kellymom.com

Good luck!

2. Ashley says:

I need some help please. I have a 9 month old who I am trying to get him to sleep in his crib. Up until now he has been sleeping in the pack in play in my room. I walk him to get him to sleep. He goes to bed around 8:30-9:00 and wakes up every 3 hours and cries for his “baba”. I have tried not giving him his bottle and rocking him but he is asking for his “baba” so I give it to him. He drinks 4 oz and goes right back to sleep for 3 more hours. We have a good rountine with feeding/playing/naps during the day and have trouble at night. I love to get him sleeping at least more than 3 hours at a time and off the bottle at night.

What can I do?

• Nicole says:

@Ashley At 9 months, most babies only need one feeding, so you probably want to night-wean, but first it starts with helping him learn how to fall asleep on his own. When he can fall asleep on his own, he can go BACK to sleep on his own. He just has a sleep association with either walking with you or the bottle. You might want to read up on sleep associations here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association Good luck!

3. Jamie says:

This is my 9 month old’s schedule. Please give me feedback etc!!!
    6:30am- wake and breastmilk
    7:30 breakfast (yogurt and fruit) and juice
    8:00 nap for 1-2 hours
    10:15 lunch (cereal and fruit) and bottle of breast milk
    12:00 nap for 2 hours
    2:00 breast milk
    5:00 dinner (veggies and protein) and breast milk
    7:00 breastmilk
    7:15 asleep

Is that an ideal schedule?? I have to get him up early because I nurse him before I go to work. I also wonder if I am getting him enough servings of the various foods. He is well fed and is consistently in the 90 percentiles for weight.
    Thanks for your feedback!!!!

• Nicole says:

@Jamie If he’s sleeping well at night, I’m not sure how you can make that better! 🙂 I personally did not give much juice at this age and the pediatric dentist said they are seeing a rise in cavities and they think it’s juice. Just fyi. I’d say you have a great schedule there! Good luck!

4. Alice says:

hi there, i am just wanting to start my son on these schedules. I see for each nap you have a b/f after the nap. and on the other schedule before AND after. Do you think it would be fine if i b/f (both sides) my son before his naps and thats all?? its seems like alot of feeding??
    Hope you can help

• Nicole says:

@Alice Once a baby is older, I don’t always follow the eat-play-sleep routine, so I typically say to find what works for you and your baby, so before naps is perfectly fine. Just make sure he isn’t associating feeding with sleeping, if he’s having short naps. Babies vary how long they can go between breastfeeds, too. In my Mastering Naps & Schedules book, I give more sample schedules to choose from. Good luck!

5. Andrea says:

My 9 month old has one schedule at daycare, but when she is home with us and we attempt to follow the same schedule, she wants nothing to do with it. Is this normal? Is daycare forcing her into a schedule that doesn’t fit her?

• Nicole says:

@Andrea This is very common. It is typical for babies to be able to stay awake longer at daycare due to the activity and such and many babies will “catch up” on sleep at home. Do they have a schedule at daycare? I do find that daycares tend to transition to one nap too early, for example, even if the baby would happily take two naps for many more months, but it’s also not surprising if the activity keeps her up longer than she can do at home. Hope this helps!

6. Sheri says:

I can’t seem to find the right combination for my 9 mo old. She has slept through the night early on. She is always put down awake and goes right to sleep on her own even at naps. Up until 7 months, she took two 1.5 hour naps at 9am and at 1pm. She had a 30 min afternoon nap around 5pm. Bedtime is 8pm. She will only sleep around 11 hours, rarely any longer than that. We used to have to start our day at 6am when her bedtime was 7pm. We moved the bedtime an hour later, and she slept an hour later in the morning. Now, we just go in at 7am to get her up, she wakes anytime after 6am. She plays until we come in.

Around 7 months, the naps started getting messed up. She now will only sleep an hour for both naps. (sometimes 45 mins.) I have tried to get her on a 10am 2pm schedule, but she just can’t last that long. She is fussy and really tired starting around 9am, she could be forced to stay up, but she is miserable. It’s the same for the 1pm nap. Now, she is more awake in the afternoon, and putting her down at 5 doesn’t always work. I think she is trying to drop that nap. When she does take it, she cries a lot after. She is very fussy and sleepy until bedtime. It’s almost like it makes her feel worse. Last week we decided to try to drop it and shoot for 7pm bedtime. She woke before 6 again. She can go about 4-5 hours in the evening without a lot of fuss, but 6 hours is too much. And now, since she only sleeps an hour, one way or another she is up from the second nap shortly after 2pm.

I am at a loss. Should I “make” her nap at 10 and 2? My husband and I don’t do well with the early wake time. And lately she won’t stay in bed after she wakes, so if she got up a 5:15 again, that would be when we are up too. She is trying really hard to crawl, could that be interfering with her napping? She has gone from sleeping 11 hours at night with 3.5 hours worth of naps, down to 11 hours with MAYBE 2 hours of naps!

• Nicole says:

@Sheri Your daughter sounds overtired. She is probably trying to drop that 3rd nap (which commonly leads to over-tiredness), but I’d probably try her naps early for 2-3 days to get back on track. If she’s waking before 6, I’d give her a nap at 8:30, 12:30 and 4:30 for a few days and see if that helps get her back on track. Good luck!

7. Tiffany says:

I just wanted to start off by saying thanks for your site, it’s nice to find someone that gives advice without charging.

Anyways my 9 month old goes to bed at 8pm, wakes up at 7am (sometimes 6am) and takes her first nap at 930am like clockwork. She usually wakes up at 11 or earlier from her morning nap. My problem is I can’t seem to get the 2nd nap right. I’ve tried all different times but none of them seem to work. I just keep going in to give her bottles until she finally passes out. But when she does pass out she’ll sleep for 3-4 hours sometimes.

Is 930-11 too long of a nap? When would be the best time to put her to sleep and for how long for her afternoon nap? Is 3-4 hrs too long of naps if she sleeps fine at night?

• Nicole says:

@Tiffany It would probably help for your daughter to learn to sleep without a bottle, but with a 9:30-11 nap, I’d probably give her another nap at 3pm. If she’s napping 3-4 hours in the afternoon, what time is bedtime? The main “issue” with more nap and less night sleep is that it’s more restorative for them to get 11-12 hours straight and it sounds like she might be making up lost night sleep during the day, but if the schedule is working for you I’m all for families finding what works for them. Good luck!

8. Lauren says:

here is our 9 month old schedule for the most part

wake: 7:30-8:30
    breakfast: 9
    nurse: 10:30 (falls asleep nursing but wakes when i try to move him)
    lunch: 12
    nurse: 3:30 (same issue with napping)
    dinner: 5
    nurse/bed: 8:30
    night waking: usually 2-3 times, sometimes more (i try to settle without nursing but when the screaming starts i usually feel so bad and nurse)

he is very happy during the day although sometimes only naps in the car or in my arms, only cries when we try to settle him down, but obviously tired at times when he fights sleep, when we lay next to him at night he thrashes around even coming up to sitting then crashes down over and over until he finally falls asleep, after FINALLY finding your site i think the problem is the nursing association??? neither of us can let him CIO and since he was born he loved to nurse, i have to stop him every time he falls asleep while nursing or he continues suckling. any advice???

9. Nanette says:

I have 9 mo old boy/girl twins. I put them to bed at 7:30pm every night (yes with a bottle filled with a small amount of breast milk) and they wake around 7:30am every morning. They both take two naps a day (my son sleeps a little bit longer than my daughter). They are taking solids, but not nearly as much as is listed on the 9 mo. old schedule. My son wakes at 11pm to be fed, and my daughter wakes up at 1am to be fed, and then my son wakes up at 5am to be fed and my daughter wakes up at 6am to be fed. This means that I am getting up 4 times in the night and it is killing me, but I know I am one to blame, because yes, I am feeding them….and the kicker is with bottles, so they do get ba ba’s in their cribs. Also, neither like binkies.

I need some advice. Do I need to try and force them to take more solids? Should I put them in separate rooms and just have them both cry it out through the night? Should I leave them in the same room? Should I go in to comfort them but not pick them up? Should I just not go in at all to comfort? Should I make them cry through the early night feeding, but go in still at 5 and 6am? Also, when putting them to bed, just start not giving them a bottle to take with them to sleep and again, just have them cry that out, or should I try to re-introduce binkies?

Thank you for your help!

• Nicole says:

@Nanette I would not bother trying the binkies again. That will be one less habit to break when they are toddlers and I get just as many parents who replace a binkie / pacifier 10 times per night. Try delaying the feedings and/or reducing the size of the bottles for a slower transition, but compensate by adding more bottles or solids during the day. Good luck!

10. vanessa says:

My baby is 9mo old. She has never slept through the night. The longest she has slept is 4hrs. I do have a daily routin and night time/bed time routin. She just will not got to sleep with out breast feeding. So I have now tryed the CIO method. I do go in about every 10min. She will settle down but as soon as I try to leave she gets right up and starts sreaming. She will not stop until I am back as the 10min time. Now since I have started this she seems more frightful and clingy. She now has a harder time falling asleep and staying asleep. It seems like am going backward instead of forward. I just don’t want her to get worse. What should I do now?

• Nicole says:

@Vanessa A good middle-ground is to stay with your baby, but not nurse her to sleep. There is no reason you can’t be there for support while you change her routine. Reassure her, but stay committed that you aren’t going to nurse her all the way to sleep. You can start with bedtime to keep it more manageable. Hope this helps and good luck!