Comments

1. Mel says:

8am 8:30am – Wakes up
    6pm Nap time
    7pm Dinner
    8pm 8:30pm – Bath
    9pm Bottle 8oz

2. tori says:

Hi
    Just after some advice with our feeding and sleeping schedule for our 8 month old. He follows a day as below
    6:30ish wakes and bottle
    7:30 breakfast
    9:30ish bed
    11:00ish wakes up
    11:30 lunch
    1:15 bottle
    1:30-2:00 bed
    2:30-3:30 wakes
    snack
    5:00 dinner:
    5:30 bath
    6:15 bottle
    6:30-7:00 bed

Just recently we dropped the fourth bottle and have tried and tried giving him the 2nd bottle closer to lunch but he isn’t interested until after 1:00.
    He has also just started waking at night from 12:30 on and off until 3:30 which is a killer. He use to average only 2 hours a day for his day sleeps and would sleep through the night but now he is going longer than 2 and half hours up to 3 and a half hours. Could this be effecting the night sleeping or is it just the whole pattern?

3. karen says:

Hi,

My son is right now 9 months old. My concern is mainly his generally-irregular morning wake times, which has a knock-on effect on his naptimes… I have always been cautious about keeping early bedtimes because he was colicky when younger and was always getting overtired by bedtime. Now, most of the time, I put my son to bed about 6 or 615pm (after approx. 3 hrs of waketime), but usually, I find that he wakes up anywhere from 615am to 7am(which is the ideal time). I just wonder WHY there is such a wide variation? I really wish to find the “perfect bedtime” and confidently stick to it, so that I do not have him rise too early (like at 615am) for the day.

Should I gradually try to push bedtime later in 15min increments till I arrive at a consistent (and reasonable waketime of 645am or 7am)? That might mean that I should start putting him to bed 630 or 645pm, instead of the usual 615pm?

Anyway, here’s his schedule – If anyone can offer some advice as to whether it’s worth trying a later bedtime, please do 🙂

Between 4 and 530am – Wakeup and nurse. Straight to bed for a snooze.
    Between 615am and 7am – Proper wakeup and nurse. (may not drink much depending on time he previously awoke for his last feed).
    730am- Breakfast solids
    915/930am (but AIMING FOR 10am)- Nurse down to nap1
    1015/1030am – awake from nap1
    1040am – A little snack, followed by an activity
    1215pm – Lunchtime solids
    1245-115pm – Activitytime such as splashing around in garden, or having a relaxing bath
    130pm (but AIMING FOR 2pm) – nurse down to nap 2
    3pm – wake from nap2
    315pm – Snacktime followed by activity
    515pm – Dinnertime, followed by bedtime routine
    6pm – Nurse down to bedtime
    615pm – In bed – Goodnight!

Many thanx,
    Karen

4. Willa says:

Hi! My 8.5 month old is an early riser. We’ve had a problem for about the past month with super early wake times. I’ve tried numerous things to try to ‘fix’ this problem. I believe part of the issue is that he needed to go to 2 naps vs the 3 he had been getting. So, this past week we transitioned. However, we still are dealing with early wake times. I feel that his schedule is so early, however am not sure how to move it back a little. He usually wakes between 5:15 – 6:00. However I leave him in his crib until 6, he is content just blowing raspberries and playing. Here’s his current schedule:
    6:00 – out of crib
    6:30 – nurse followed by breakfast
    8:00 – morning nap (usually 45min to 1.5 hrs)
    10:30 – nurse followed by lunch
    12:30 – afternoon nap (anywhere from 45 min to 2hr)
    2:30 – nurse followed by a super early dinner
    6:00 – begin bedtime routine (some days this starts early due to being so tired)
    6:30 – in bed

Here’s a couple of questions. Should I be stretching out his morning wake time a bit…aiming to get closer to 9, which would hopefully push back his afternoon nap to 1:30? I’d like to move his wake-up to 6:30, first feeding closer to 7, however it just doesn’t seem to work….any suggestions? If I put him to bed much later he wakes up super early (as early as 4:30am) and won’t go back to sleep. That makes for an extremely overtired baby and a LONG day!

• Kimberly says:

Hi Willa,
      I’d really recommend that you check out Nicole’s book on Shifting Schedules. Not only does she address this issue directly in the book, but she goes over the steps to help you come up with a plan for shifting your baby’s schedule. It does sound like working to shift his schedule might help with the daily schedule overall. Here is the link to her book: https://www.babysleepsite.com/waking-too-early/

5. Milana says:

Hi,
    My son is 9 months and naps 4 times a day. His naps range from 40 min to 1.5 hour (sometimes even 2 hours but this is rare). I am worried because babies of his age normally nap twice a day. Why does he need to nap so often? Could he be anemic or something? Or may be he doesn’t nap long enough each time that’s why he is always tired? He wakes up from his nap and after half an hour he starts yawning and soon he starts rubbing his eyes.What are we doing wrong?

• Kimberly says:

Hi Milana,
      My first recommendation would be to check with your pediatrician about this to rule out any medical issues that might be related. It could be that he just needs that much sleep right now during the day. Alternatively, if he’s shortnapping throughout the day, then he may not be getting enough restorative sleep during those naps which make him tired shortly after waking. You don’t mention how he sleeps at night or how long he sleeps at night but those would be other factors that could be related.

6. shireen says:

Hi

My nine month old boy still needs to nap every 2/3 hours for half an hour although some days he refuses to and gets so upset and overtired. Now, suddenly he won’t fall asleep at bedtime unless we sit in his room with him. Should I be trying to get him to have two bigger naps a day? He tends to go to bed at 8 through to 5.30. Also, he won’t eat mashed food and is still on puree.

7. Vanessa says:

I have a 9 month old little boy. He has slept through the night since about 10 weeks. His schedule is as follows:

6:30 Wake
    7:00 Bottle (8oz) followed by Fruit
    8:45 Nap (sleeps for approx. 45 min)
    11:00 Bottle (7oz) and Snacks
    12:00 Nap (sleeps anywhere from 45 Min – to 2 hrs)
    3:00 Bottle (7oz) followed by Veggies
    6:30 – 7:00 Bottle (7oz) and Bedtime

He wakes up every morning around 4:30pm crying but goes back to sleep immediately after being consoled (i don’t pick him up…just pat him on the back).

Because he takes his afternoon nap so early, he usually is pretty tired by the time bedtime rolls around. Should I be giving him a 3rd nap on the days that he wakes early from his afternoon nap? If he only sleeps an hour, he is awake for over 5 hours in the evening. He isn’t cranky but I want to make sure he is getting the sleep that he needs. Also, if he does get a nap after his 3pm feeding, wouldn’t this affect his bedtime routine? Thanks!

• Kimberly says:

Vanessa,
      It would probably be worth a try to slowly shift his afternoon nap to a little later if you find he’s not napping that long during his afternoon nap more often than not that way maybe he would nap a little longer in the afternoon. A third nap probably wouldn’t work that well as his later sleep into the afternoon can certainly affect his bedtime. Also, as he gets only he will naturally be shifting from two naps to one.

8. Brandi says:

My 9 1/2 month old girl slept through the night from 6 weeks-4 months. She goes to bed awesome on her own around 7-8 pm. Just put her to bed she fusses for a few minutes then out. She started getting ear infections around 4 months. She got tubes at 6 months and eats once a night every night since she turned 4 months. Is it to late to get her to sleep through the night. Does she need to eat at night? I am not sleep deprived i am just “tired” of doing it. All the kids i know at her age are sleeping through the night. HELP!

9. olivia says:

I have a 9 month old girl who hasn’t slept a 5 hour stretch since she was 2 months old. She starts out in her crib , but by the second wake up …i bring her into bed with me, just to get some rest, but after being in bed with us , she still wakes up a few times before actually getting up at 8:30 am. I’m am not willing to let my daughter cry it out …what else can i do . Our typical daily routine consists of
    8:30 am – B/M
    9:30 breakfast ( 1 tbs cereal maybe some yogurt and fruit)
    11:30 B/M and a nap ( i nurse her to sleep)
    1:00 lunch ( vegtable…chicken …and some fruit)
    3:00 snack ( crackers) and B/M and nap (nursed to sleep again)
    6:00 dinner (grain pasta..veg and a fruit)
    8:00 snack (cereal)
    8:30 bath
    9:00 B/M and to bed
    **** after this she is up usually after and hour ..i nurse her back to sleep , but am sure she isn’t waking because of hunger..at around 11:30 she is up again….so i end up just going to bed by then and bringing her into bed….then she’ll wake up around 3:30…then 6am and then up at 8:30…..DO you have ANY suggestions…that doesn’t invlolve leaving her to cry ?

• Kimberly says:

Olivia,
      In looking over your schedule, a couple of things come to mind. How long is she napping? Naps should be at least an hour long to be restorative. She may be getting overtired if her naps are not long enough. The other thing is that you might consider working on shifting her schedule a bit including moving her afternoon nap to earlier in the day and then working towards a bedtime to sleep between 7:30 and 8. Again, she may be getting overtired and may have an internal body clock that works better with an earlier bedtime. You may also need to work with her to teach her how to fall asleep on her own better. If you are nursing to sleep every time and you are bringing her to bed during the night, the you have create sleep associations where she now believes she needs those things to sleep. If you haven’t already, I’d recommend reading through this series that Nicole wrote on Sleep Training for some additional ideas and tips to create a sleep training plan that works for you (https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-training-from-no-cry-to-cry-series-part-1/). Nicole describes a couple of different methods other than crying it out. If you find you need additional help or want help creating a plan that works for you family, I’d highly recommend checking out Nicole’s sleep consultation services. She will help craft a plan that works for you and your baby while taking in to consideration your preferences for how you would like to sleep train. You can find more info on the service by clicking on Products: Consulting Services in the top menu bar.

10. Jessy says:

My daughter is 9 months and 3 weeks old. She is not really sleeping through the night yet. Bedtime is 7 p.m. and then she wakes up at 10:30 p.m., 2/3 a.m. to nurse. Sometimes she wakes up at 5 a.m. too but I don’t feed her then, I wait till she wakes up at 7 a.m. to feed her.
    She has just recovered from an ear infection and has not cut any teeth yet.
    For the past 8 days she has been sleeping very poorly at night. She wakes up every 1.5 – 2 hours. Since I thought this was her 9 month growth spurt, I was feeding her whenever she woke up and she seemed ravenously hungry. For the last couple of nights she does not seem to be as hungry but has been crying/fussing from 4 a.m. to 5:30 a.m.
    I am really not sure if this is still her growth spurt going on for more than a week or if it’s something else (teething, separation anxiety?). I am worried that she will get into a habit of waking up frequently.
    This is just tiring us out, since I have a very stressful full-time job.
    Any suggestions/thoughts?

• Kimberly says:

Hi Jessy,
      It could be teething if she hasn’t cut any teeth yet. She may be using the feedings as comfort either because she got used to doing during the ear infection or because she is teething. Sometimes the sucking helps relieve pressure or helps massage sore gums. Have you checked her front bottom gums to feel for possible new teeth or swollen gums. These are usually the first teeth to come in. I would recommend reading this article for some schedule ideas for your baby’s age and see if there are places you might consider making adjustments during the day to see if that helps with nighttime sleep. Try to make sure she’s getting enough to eat during the day and good naps. https://www.babysleepsite.com/schedules/9-month-old-baby-schedule/