Comments

1. priya says:

my baby is 5 1/2 months old.she will be 6 months old on 18 march..
    my prb is that she sleeps hardly 8 hrs in night. but in that 8 hrs she wake up at every hr means if she sleep at 10 pm then she wake up at 11pm then she want milk after that she again go to sleep she takes 15 min for drinking. then again 12:15 am she wake up.she is not sleeping 8 hrs continously.2nd prb is she wants breastmilk at every hr. i did not start solid food. so plz give me suggestion.

2. Danielle says:

I have a baby that is 6 months old and 21lbs and I am feeding on demand but the thing is that he will eat ALLLL day long and then the next day hardly eat at all and then the next ALLLL day long, i am so confussed about the schedule and im not too fond of his Ped. I am currently looking for a new one. any suggestions???? I dont know if they should eat so many calories or what?? It is getting very frustrating…. He also has acid reflux so Im not sure if that has something to do with it… I just worry that he is not growing good every doc. visit goes good but i havent had to start the solids…. PLEASE HELP

3. Sara says:

My son, Jason, is 6 and a half months old. At 5 and a half months I started reading several books on how to encourage my son to self soothe.

I was strongly against any cry-it-out method, I didn’t think I was strong enough. I do not subscribe to a cio plan myself. I do however allow my son “controlled crying”. I allow him to cry by himself for about 5 minutes before “rescuing” him. But when I do go to him I do not pick him up. I give the paci, lay him back down and cover him up. Quietly shushing, and getting progressively quieter, he goes back to sleep. This allowings him to try to work out what is bothering him by himself. I found I was creating my son’s sleep problems. I wouldn’t let him cry at all. He would wake up in the night, cry out and I would rush to him and pick him up, trying to soothe him. I wasn’t allowing him to learn to put himself back to sleep. I did this because my husband works and I don’t. I wanted to allow him to sleep without disturbances as much as possible. Little did I know babies need to cry. There is a huge difference in cio and allowing your baby to self soothe. Sometimes babies just need to get it out. They cannot talk about their day, or express their feelings other than to cry. Crying is a form of release for them.

I read Nighttime Parenting by Dr. Sears and The 90-Minute Sleep Program by Polly Moore. The one that really helped me create a schedule for Jason was Good Night, Sleep Tight by Kim West. It details how to help your child nap and sleep better by strict scheduling. She says that babies should not need to feed at night, once they have slept through the night once. If you child sleeps 12 hours straight in 1 night, that is the longest s/he can go without a feeding. Start training at night first. Naps are much harder. Here is an example of Jason’s schedule.

7:30 Wake up, Nurse, change diaper and clothes
    8:00 Eat Breakfast.(Oatmeal cereal and a jar of breakfast food)
    8:30-9:30 Play time
    10:00 Nap time (usually about 1.5 hours)
    11:30 Wake up, nurse, change diaper
    12:00 Eat Lunch. ( Oatmeal cereal, fruit-1/2 jar, and veggie-1/2 jar)
    12:30-2:00 Play time
    2:30-4:30 Nap time (can vary. ranges from 2-3 hours)
    5:00 Change diaper
    5:15 Dinner (Meat veggie combo jar and fruit for dessert)
    5:30-7 Playtime
    7-7:30 bedtime routine(bath, nurse, books, bed)
    7:30-8:00 Asleep (normally falls asleep alone, little help. Maybe 1-2 paci runs and laying him back down-my son is pulling up and standing on his own at 6.5 months) He sleep straight through until morning.

I also found naps shorter than 45 minutes are what I call “suicide naps”. Anything less than 45 minutes is less than 1 sleep cycle for a baby. If they do not sleep at least 1 full sleep cycle they will be more tired than when the went to sleep. Most babies will wake in between sleep cycles and go back to sleep. Any child that has slept the night through can put themselves back to sleep. Teaching them consistency is the key. Be consistent in all you do!

I hope this helps some of you out there. I know I was at wits end with my son and his lack of naps. He is a much happier baby now, he needed the strict schedule. Some babies are harder to deal with. Just because your child fights sleep does not mean s/he does not need just as much sleep. Babies do need at least 3 hours of naps a day. The main thing you have to learn is sleep is not something babies are born to do. Like most skills they must be taught. Naps are harder to get down. Like adults, babies have a hard time going to sleep during the daylight hours.

Teaching sleep is not easy, but very rewarding. I definitely recommend reading all there is to read and making an informed decision that is best for you and your little one.

4. claudia says:

my son doesnt have a schedule! sometimes i find it so frustrating.. and he doesnt take more than 30 minute naps.. the odd time he will surprise me, but not really.. and never in his crib (maybe if he’s in carseat and we’re out)
    i look at the sample schedule above with the 30-45 minute naps and i feel a little bit better because everywhere else i’ve read says that babies should take at least one hour naps! i say, what babies.. definitely not mine!! and as much as i’ve tried to ‘extend’ the naps.. really? how? can we as adults extend our naps? i just dont get it!

i actually stress about his sleep (or lack thereof) and i try so hard to watch his sleepy cues and put him down at the right time, etc.. and i just somehow 99% of the time get it wrong ! 🙁 its so frustrating.. and lately he even fights when i put him down. (is he just becoming too attached to me)
    he’s a fairly good baby for night sleep in the sense that he can put himself to sleep easier than naptimes.. he sleeps ok.. there are a number of times we may need to replace the pacifier or if he’s growing through a milestone things are different of course, but its not ever really consolidated uninterrupted sleep.. (and i’m not too much of a fan of the cry it out method.. i think its mean)

anyhow, its nice to see your sample schedule.. its somewhat similar to my sons (well, the way it is with being in bed within two hours again) and it something i can follow..
    however, what do i do if he wakes early (ie:5 or 5:30am) .. i’m definitely not ready to start my day at that time.. but i dont know what to do either, with him..
    and the thing is.. i have to say he must be ‘overtired’ most of the time because he yawns frequently 🙁
    anyhow. i dont know anymore.. there are times that i just feel defeated! 🙁

5. Anna D says:

Thanks for the words of advice Nicole and Emma. I have been trying something new for the last week and things seem to be going better. Here is what I have done:
    I have stopped feeding Maya heavy solids in the evenings (usually this would be veggies), replacing with light fruits instead, and I have been making sure she sleeps either three 1 hour naps or two 1.5 hour naps throughout the day. And now I am also going to try putting her down when she is really drowsy and almost asleep… but not letting her cry herself to sleep…. lets see how it goes.
    On another note, my husband, baby and I went to the Caribbean for a week about a month ago and baby slept so well! One night she even slept for almost 7 hours straight with NO interruptions! It was beatiful. However, once we got back to Toronto she got back to her old routine of waking up often. I think I’m going to go away again. LOL.
    Thanks again for the tips!

6. Emma says:

Hey Anna D,
    I have ben extreemly lucky with my daughter Harli and her awesome sleeping since 4 months. but up until then she woke 3 time a night or more and I fed her and she still screamed. First I put thickener in her bottle after we realised she had silent reflux, that made a massive difference and she still has thickened formula, and after she still kept waking when she lost her dummy, I chucked it out. I had one night of screaming with her trying to get herseld to sleep without it, but that was the first night she slept from 7 til 7!! And now she does it every night! thank god!

7. Emma says:

Hari’s Routine @ 6 & 1/2 months
    7am – Wake up bottle
    8am – breakie
    9am – sleep
    11am – Wake up bottle
    12noon – lunch
    1pm – sleep
    3pm – Wake up bottle
    4:30pm – nap
    5:30pm – dinner
    6:45pm – bottle
    7pm – bedime!!
    Every day and she loves it plus she’s crawling and that tires her out heaps too! Hope this helps!!

• Nicole says:

@Emma Thank you for sharing your schedule!

8. Jackee says:

Anna D:

The way a baby goes to sleep at night is the way an infant expects to go back to sleep when he or she awakens. Perhaps you should change the way you put her to bed (let her fall asleep on her own using self soothing techniques ie: toy, blanket etc), and this might help with night time awakening/falling back to sleep.

My 6 month old son also gets up at least twice in the middle of the night, but I do not pick him up, and I never have. Once he’s in his crib, he’s in it until morning. Since your daughter is taking breast milk from a bottle perhaps it would be beneficial for both of you if she was fed from a bottle at night where she sleeps. Perhaps alternating breast/bottle at night for a while until she gets used to it.

My daughter, who is now 10, went through the crying/vomiting/pooping stage as well. I could not leave her in her crib laying in her own vomit until I read a passage in Dr. Spock’s book about doing the unthinkable to fix this problem: JUST LEAVE THEM. It took two weeks but the vomiting stopped when she cried. Eventually she realized I wasn’t going to pick her up if she vomited.

• Nicole says:

@Jackee Wow! I have not read Dr. Spock’s book about leaving a baby in his or her vomit. I personally would not recommend that. I would at least clean them up and make sure they go back in their crib awake to let them fall asleep on their own. It is true that a baby can learn to vomit on command, but typically that’s a toddler, not a baby, from what I understand. I typically recommend a slower approach and not cry it out for a baby who vomits a lot. There ARE other options. I can not in good conscience recommend leaving a baby in vomit, especially when many babies simply have an immature gag reflex. I am glad it worked for you in a short amount of time, though. We all have to find our own way. Good luck and thanks for commenting!

9. Anna D says:

Wow, I am so happy I stumbled across this website. I am relieved to find that I am not alone in having a baby who does not sleep through the night! Most of our friends who have babies claim that their precsious bundles sleep through the night, and each time I hear this I’m glad I don’t have a sharp object in my hand. LOL.

My 6.5 month old daughter was never a good sleeper from the get-go. She would rather be awake so she can see and hear everything around her. There was a period of time at around 3 months where she slept for about 6 hours straight, but this was very short lived and she begun to settle into a night-time routine of waking up about 4 or 5 times a night. I got so frustrated with making the trip to her crib in her room each time to rock her back to sleep only to repeat the entire thing a few hours later that I started bringing baby to our bed and this is where she now sleeps. I am trying to get her to sleep in her own crib again, but the transition is tough…

Recently, I’m assuming this is due to the growth spurt, she started waking up about 7 to 8 times a night. Both my sanity and my marriage were on rocky ground as sleep deprivation brings out a monster in me I never wish to come out again!
    For the past two nights she has been waking up 2 to 3 times a night.
    I breastfeed and I refuse to let her cry herself to sleep because she gets very upset that she vomits and poops herself.

Here is our daily schedule (my baby somehow fell into this routine on her own, and I follwed her lead):

6:30-7:30am – Wake up for the day
    9am – Breastfeed
    9:30am – nap, from half an hour to an hour and a half
    11:30isham – solids
    1pm – breastfeed
    3pm – nap, usually an hour and a half
    5pm – Breastfeed
    6:30pm – solids
    7:45pm – bedtime routine
    8/8:30pm – bottle (about 6oz) of my breast milk mixed with cereal.
    8:30-9pm – sleep.
    10pm – wake up, I rock her back to sleep
    2am – wake up, I breastfeed, she falls asleep at the breast
    5am – wake up, I breastfeed, falls asleep at the breast

Does anyone have any ideas for me to get by daughter to sleep longer, without crying it out, while at the same time getting her to sleep in her own room? I try not to give her the pacifier at night, actually I noticed that if I don’t give it to her at bedtime, she sleeps a bit longer. Am I feeding her too seldom? Is she not sleeping enough during the day?? She used to take 3 naps a day that were 30 minutes each, but then she started sleeping longer naps and I don’t want to have her napping after 5pm….

Any help would be appreciated!!

• Nicole says:

@Anna There is a lot between sleep deprivation and cry it out. Have you tried staying with your daughter to have her fall asleep but without rocking her? That would be a start. The key is to come up with a step-by-step or day-by-day plan to follow that makes progress over a period of a couple of weeks. That’s what I generally help tired parents do, but you can also come up with one yourself, too. Good luck!

10. Meghan L. says:

Sooo…

My son is almost 6 months old and suffers from eczema. He would be up all night scratching at his head..poor guy. Now he goes to sleep around 6, he wants to sleep earlier for the night but we stretch him to 6 (good thing?) and then he’s usually up at 12:30, then up again at 4. The two night feedings aren’t killing us, but the worst is that at 4, he will then take cat naps for the rest of the am. He will sleep until 5:30. Then be up until 6:30. Then sleeps from 6:30 to 7. I want to get a full 12 hours, not broken up, but his mornings are terrible! Help!

I also stick to the two hour wake-period as well. He can’t stay up for much longer than two hours at a time. He fights going to sleep and will NOT take a pacifier or a blanket of any sort. The only type of soothing that works is when I hold his hand. It quiets him down immediately. The one good thing is that at night he usually goes to bed no problem with no assistance from me.

Thanks for ANY help you can give…we’re exhausted! Much like many of the other mother son this site.

• Nicole says:

@Meghan How sweet he falls asleep holding your hand! 🙂 4-6 a.m. is the lightest sleep of the whole night (for all of us), so you are NOT ALONE! A lot of people have this problem. The more your son can learn to re-settle himself at this hour, the faster at it he will become. Try to let him fall back to sleep on his own, so he can master this skill. Pushing him longer to get to a 6 p.m. bedtime could also be causing the early morning wake-up. Have you tried giving him a late evening nap around 5 or 5:30 and putting him to bed at 7, instead? Just a thought. Good luck!