Comments

1. ldoo says:

I would definitely not wake him. See if he wakes up. If not, pump. Your supply should even out and get used to the new schedule.

2. Gina says:

I know there are many different ways to parent and we all do what is best for our babies, but I have a question. My son is 5.5 months old and started on solids about 1.5 weeks ago(My first baby not until 6.5 mos and if took her awhile to get used to solids) but my sons really likes it and does well. He doesn’t eat a ton, only 1 solid food a day right now. I also am breastfeeding, which I couldn’t do with my first, so this is a new experience for. He LOVES to sleep, but he does like to eat just not as much as most babies. He only weighs 13 lbs, but is a very happy baby!(must take after his dad!) For a while I had been feeding him 5-6 feedings a day and then just 5. Now that I am allowing him to go longer than 3 hrs before eating again(he almost always takes a nap before each feeding..depending on the day) but his 5th feeding ends up being around 10:30-11:00 pm, but I usually have to wake him up for this, and he is not happy!!! Of course he will eat, but after talking to a friend of mine who has 4 kids said that maybe I should just let him sleep and skip the 5th feeding if he is not waking up to eat. Does this sound okay? this is his usual schedule:
    9:00 am – wake, get dressed, breastfeed
    9:30-10:30 play time
    10:30-12:00ish
    12:30- breastfeed
    1:00 pm-2:00 pm play time
    2:00-4:00/4:30 another nap
    4:30/5:00ish breast feed
    6:30 solid food(oatmeal or friut at this point)
    7:00-8:30 pm sleep
    8:30-9:00 pm Breastfeed
    9-9:30 bed
    use to wake at around 11:00-11:30 for last feeding.
    If he seems fine to be fed at this schedule is that okay?
    Will my milk suppy decrease?
    Is he getting enough nutrition?
    I will ask my doctor at the next appt. just curious as to what you might think?

• Kimberly says:

Hi Gina,
      At this age, he could probably go without being woken up to eat. Some babies are able to go through the night at this age without feeding. I would try it and see if he just continues to sleep through the night. If you find he’s waking up later and seems hungry, you could go ahead and feed him but try to unlatch him before he’s completely asleep and lay him back down drowsy so he can continue to fall asleep on his own.

3. Bee says:

Hi! Help! My 6 month old does not eat or sleep well! She is breastfed only… each breast feeding session barely lasts 5 minutes – because she doesn’t want more than that! At night, when she’s exhausted, she’ll take more. I started bottle feeding her (sometimes) and she will sometimes only drink 1.5 oz and rarely will she drink 3 oz. At 6 months she weighed 13.6 lbs. I tried solids on her (rice cereal and then barley – planning on doing oatmeal next and then veggies) – but she doesn’t seem to want to eat. She refuses to open her mouth when the spoon comes close to her. She did well a couple of times at most, but then got really bad – so I stopped for a few days (so she wouldn’t develop a negative association with the spoon).
    As for sleeping – she used to sleep 6.5 hours at the first stretch of the night, and then every 3 hours thereafter, but has long since regressed to every 3 hours at night. I don’t think she’s hungry – just does not know how to go back to sleep. I sometimes put her down awake, but it doesn’t always work. Sometimes, she’s CIO for a few minutes, but lately, I’ve been resorted to putting her down asleep or drowsy and then patting her until she’s asleep!
    I’m worried about her weightgain. I honestly think she doesn’t consume enough during the day to last all night without feeds, but I don’t know how to nightwean, if she refuses to have more during the day.
    HELP!

4. Sarah says:

I have an almost seven-month old and we have just started weaning (exclusively breast fed before). We’ve been traveling a fair bit in the last few weeks and we are now settled back home after four months abroad for my husband’s work. The baby is affected by a time difference (three hours ahead of what he was on before) and I am having a nightmare with his sleep. He only seems to like baby rice mixed with breast milk and is not fond of sweet potato, banana, apple right now. I try and get him down for 7 but he screams and screams. I am trying not to pick him up and feed again but because I’m aware that I’m quite late weaning him, I worry that he’s hungry and I tend to nurse him when he cries. He finally sleeps but has been waking five times or so after midnight and crying and I’m exhausted and can’t crack it. I can’t let him cry as he sleeps in the same room as my husband and I who has to get up early for work and needs his sleep. The baby is quite happy to lie-in until 9 or 10am as he must be tired too. He naps two or three times per day, but I take my cue from him and just put him down when he seems tired and he nearly always falls asleep no problem (although generally after nursing). Because I’ve fed on demand up to this point I’m not very good at scheduling his days and soon I’ll be working again (from home) and really need a routine to my day and his so I can fit my work in around it. I suppose I’m just wondering whether it’s a good idea for me to try and force him onto the schedule that Nicole outlined at the top of the page in an effort to help him sleep through the night, or whether he’s having a growing spurt and is affected by our traveling and will eventually settle into manageable routine on his own.

5. Ashley-Rae says:

My 6 month old is a very happy and very busy little lady. Our schedule looks something like this (keep in mind we’ve only JUST introduced solids, so she’s only eating those once per day for now)

8:30am – breastfeed
    11:00am – nap (about 1.5hours)
    12:30pm – breastfeed
    1:30pm – a serving of fruit or vegetables (about 1/3 of a regular jar of puree)
    4:00pm – nap (about 1.5hours)
    5:30pm – breastfeed
    7:00pm – bedtime routine (bath, baby massage, blankie, books, breastfeed, bed) I never let her fall completely asleep on the breast so I put her in her crib sleepy but awake. I usually put on some lullabies for her
    12:00am – breastfeed
    4:00am – breastfeed

She had been doing great with bedtime until her last round of shots. She got a fever and was pretty sore and such and so I babied her (lol) big time. And now we’re having a really, really hard time getting her back to falling asleep on her own. She’ll fight it for hours. I HATE letting her cry, it upsets all three of us so much,and I feel so so so guilty. What are some other options I have??

6. Kelley says:

Tired–I was just in your boat last month (minus the other children). My baby would only fall asleep with his pacifier…but he would never need it any other other time then at bed time. I started using the Gentle Removal from Elizabeth Pantley which also works with falling asleep breastfeeding. It’s from her book No Cry Sleep Solution (which I also have used some of those tips for him sleeping). I provided a link that shows how the gentle removal plan works. It takes some time but it did the trick for my baby and he is pretty persistant! 🙂

This helped me quite a bit. I also enlisted the help of Nicole through an email consultation and within a week or two my little guy was sleeping at least 6-7 hours each stretch. I would highly recommend sending Nicole an email. It’s only $25 and I will say it has probably been the best $25 I have spent in a VERY long time! If I had to, I would do it all over again.

7. Tired says:

I have 3 kids (6 month old, 4 & 5 year old) The older 2 sleep thru but the 6 month old wakes frequently thru the night since he was 3 months old. Prior to this he was sleeping 6 hours straight 🙁 During the day he falls asleep on his own but at night he will only fall asleep on the breast after a feed. I cant let him cry at night as he will wake my other child. He wakes every 2 hours approx during the night. He also refuses the bottle or dummy 🙁

6am – wakes but very tired
    7am – bfeed
    7.30am – 2tbs farex with fruit
    8-8.30am – sleep
    10-10.30am – wakes and b’feed
    12pm – lunch
    12.30 – bfeed top up then bed
    2.30pm – wakes and bfeed
    4pm – sleep for maybe 30-45 min
    4.30pm – wakes and bfeed
    5.30pm – dinner
    6pm – bath
    6.30 – 7pm – bfeed and sleep
    Then basically every 2 hours after this he wakes for a bfeed and seems hungry most of the time.

• Kimberly says:

@Tired- Kelley has given you some great advice about employing gentle removal when breastfeeding at night which might be a good option for you try as a way to try to avoid the crying that might wake your other children.
      @Kelley- Thanks so much for your posts. Glad to hear you are seeing good sleep results from your consult with Nicole. I can totally understand wanting to spend a little more time in the evening with your little guy and that will come as he gets older. As you said, it’s a small trade off to make sure he’s getting the sleep he needs.
      @Ashley-Rae – If you haven’t already tried this, you can try being really consistent with what you’ve done in the past and see if that helps get her back on track. If not, then there are other methods that limit or control crying that you can try. Nicole covers these a bit in her sleep training series which starts here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-training-from-no-cry-to-cry-series-part-1/ and she also covers it more comprehensively in her ebook, The 3 Step System to Help Your Baby Sleep, which you can read more about here: http://babysleepswell.com
      @Sarah- Implementing a routine or working towards a more routine/scheduled type day would most likely be to your advantage especially as you go back to work. A routine isn’t so much about getting him to sleep through the night, but it can definitely help. If he’s napping too late one day and his bedtime remains the same, then that may be why you are seeing him cry and cry at bedtime. Crying at bedtime can often be a sign that it’s the wrong bedtime. Having him on a regular nap schedule will help with determining what a good bedtime for him is. I’m not sure why you think you are late to wean him as many babies breastfeed up at a year old and beyond. He may not be ready to wean especially after traveling so much and now adjusting to being back home. Breastfeeding is also a source of comfort for babies and he may need a bit more time to adjust before you work on weaning him. However, as part of sleep training, it would be beneficial to only feed him at bedtime until drowsy and then to only feed him at night when he is truly hungry. A 7 month old typically might only need 1-2 feedings at night. Anything more than that would be for comfort. You might find this post about nightfeedings and night weaning helpful: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/night-feedings-by-age-when-do-you-night-wean/ Good luck and hang in there!

8. Kelley says:

I feel like we’re a little off on our schedule compared to others. Granted, my baby is only 5 months old (as of the 4th) so he isn’t quite 6 months old. I have tried to push back his bed time a little later so I have more time with him but that just leads to a disaster since he has to wake up so early. My husband is deployed and I have to be to work by 7:00am so I wake our baby up no later than 5:45 so I can get him ready to go to daycare. Here is our schedule. He sleeps wonderfully at night thanks to Nicole’s help! It took some work, but well worth it!

5:45am–wake up for daycare (usually wakes up smiling and “talking.” A great change of pace from waking up screaming because he was still tired. He will usually refuse his morning bottle.
    6:30am–drop off at daycare
    7:30am–5 oz bottle
    8:30am–nap (usually for 2 hours)
    10:30/11:00am–5 oz bottle
    10:30-12:30– plays
    12:30/1:00–5 oz bottle
    1:30pm–nap (usually for 2 hours)
    3:30pm–5 oz bottle
    4:10pm–pick up from daycare
    4:30pm–arrive home
    5:20/5:30am–start bedtime routine
    5:45pm–5-6 oz bottle
    6:00pm—sound a sleep
    1:30am–5 oz bottle
    sleeps until I wake him up at 5:45am

I have tried to have him take a cat nap at around 4:30-5ish to see if I could extend his bedtime but it doesn’t seem to work for him. I would LOVE to be able to spend more time with him so hoping we can eventually push it a little later (even just 1/2 hour would be so nice), but in the meantime I’ll sacrifice a little time with him to make sure he’s getting the sleep he needs. It just means I soak up as much time with him as I can on the weekends.

9. Lainie says:

Good luck! Be confident in your choice and stick with it 100 percent. It will work. 🙂

10. Sara says:

Laine, good point. Well taken. And a few nights of crying like that is better than a whole bunch of nights of crying (and nap times, etc.). We are going to be traveling to visit my family soon, but I plan to attack this when we return.

Thanks!