Are you tired of one-size-fits-all advice? Yes! I need a personalized sleep solution.

Comments

1. Courtney says:

I have a question… I follow along approximately the same schedule, but I am breastfeeding him to sleep/nap. I can’t get him to sleep without it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to break that habit so I can put him down without forcing him to cry it out??

• Kimberly says:

Hi Courtney- You can try just feeding him until he’s drowsy, gently unlatching him and then laying him down. With this method, it may take several tries before he starts to learn so be sure to be consistent with it for a least a couple of weeks. You might also find Nicole’s ebook, The 3 Step System to Help Your Baby Sleep to be helpful as it outlines different methods for helping to teach your baby to learn to fall asleep without feeding including non or limited crying methods. That can be found here: http://babysleepswell.com Good luck!

2. Jennifer says:

Hi. I have a 6.5 month old daughter who has been a chronic cat napper. A month or so ago she started sleeping longer but very inconsistent. Now maybe once every week she will have a nap that lasts longer than 40 minutes. I dont know what to do about these 40 minute naps. Sometimes she wakes happy but usually she is so cranky. I have tried to let her CIO for 15 minutes but she doesn’t go back down. Is CIO a suitable method to extend naps? Many of my friends who have babies the same age take 2 long naps a day. Emily is taking 3 sometimes 4 short ones
    7 am wake and 8oz bottle
    8 am breakfast ( 3 tablespoons cereal and 2 tbsp fruit)
    9 nap for 40 minutes then PLAY
    11:00 8 oz bottle, 1 tablespoon each of fruit and veggie
    11:30 Nap for 40 minutes….sometimes this extends to 1.5 hours…very rarely though
    PLAY
    2:30 6 oz formula
    3:00 Nap for 30-40 minutes
    PLAY
    5:00 cereal, fruit and veggie
    6:00 bath, massage, 8 oz bottle, massage
    630 SLEEPING ( she then wakes up right after 40 minutes and screams. I have had to rock her back to sleep. Then she sleeps till morning)
    suggestions?

3. Hilary says:

I stubbled across this website looking for some help with my 6 month old baby! I have a few problems that I need some advice about.
    1. She does not sleep well at night, like many out there. She wakes up 2-3 times a night for a feeding and won’t sleep more than 4 hours at a time. She used to when she was a few months old, but now she wont. She also wakes up a few times when she isn’t hungry and needs her pacifier put back in. If I try letting her cry (naptimes too) She just ends up flipped over on her stomach with all the blankets off and her pacifier out. Which brings me to my next problem.
    2. I swaddle her so she won’t pull her pacifier out of her mouth. She WILL NOT leave it alone if I don’t. So if she isn’t swaddled with a pacifier she won’t go to sleep. I know she is too old to be swaddled now, but i don’t know what to do about it.
    3. I don’t want her to learn to self soothe with her fingers, which is what the ferber method usually turns into. I don’t mind her having a pacifier though. It will be easier to break. I just don’t know what to do since she won’t leave it alone!
    If anyone has any advice for any of my problems I’d love the input! Thank you!

• Kimberly says:

@Hilary- Yes, ideally, you will want to wean her from the swaddling. The swaddling and the pacifier are most likely sleep associations for her and that’s the only way she knows how to go to sleep. At this point, she’ll need some help from you to learn how to go to sleep on her own without swaddling and without the pacifier unless she’s able to find and replace the pacifier herself. Once she’s learned how to fall asleep on her own and how to go back to sleep on her own, her sleep will lengthen and improve. I would recommend that you read this article about swaddling. (The last part of the article addresses how to stop) https://www.babysleepsite.com/newborns/swaddling-how-to-when-to-stop/ You might also find our sleep training series helpful. The first part starts here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-training-from-no-cry-to-cry-series-part-1/

@Jennifer- Have you tried going in right before the 40 minute mark and then shush/pat her back to sleep as she starts to stir and wake? Sometimes after doing this for a few days, she will naturally start to sleep through those light sleep cycles and extend her naps. CIO can work as a nap method but it also depends on the temperament of your child. I would recommend that you consider checking out our ebook, Mastering Naps and Schedules at http://babynapswell.com

4. Kandis says:

Hello, my son will be 6 months on the 14th of december. I introduced solids at 5 months because he was showing interest in food and opens his mouth for the spoon etc. He schedule however is quit different then most.

6am wakes to nurse falls back asleep
    8-930am wake up nurses
    10am cereal with fruit and then playtime
    11am nurse and nap time (naps for about 3 hours may nurse sometime between)
    3pm nurses
    330-4pm playtime/belly time
    6pm nurse
    730 fruit/vegi
    8 bathtime
    930 nurse bedtime
    wakes up once during the night to nurse

When he is with my mother and father while I work he seems to only take a few 30 min naps and then at night sleeps 4 hours wakes up to eat and then sleeps for another 4 hours.

5. Elaine says:

My six month old has always been an absolutely terrible napper. He had/has reflux. At the moment he is refusing to take an afternoon nap so I am constantly dealing with a very grumpy baby in the afternoon.
    Our schedule is-
    1pm lunch
    3pm nap for 30 minutes if very very lucky but normally no nap
    3.30 6 ozs of formula
    5pm dinner
    5.30 bath, story, bottle
    6pm bed

He sleeps okay overnight but we are up and down alot to replace the dummy he doesn’t take a feed anymore.

He is constantly overtired, screams if I try to put him down in the afternoon, he is knackered and so am I, I don’t get a break to get anything done really and have a clingy grumpy baby wanting to sit on my lap and cuddle all afternoon because he is too tired to play.
    Any suggestions on how I can resolve this would be wonderful, thanks for reading.

6. Harlenny says:

My now six month old was sleeping through the night at 2 monthsat about 4 months old, he started waking up again about twice a night looking for something to eat or most accuretly something to suck on (mind you he never appreciated a binky), we normally gave him water a night to see if that would help in not associating sleeping and nipple at night. he often soothes himself to sleep after drinkig the water. the problem is that my doctor suggested the “crying it out” method, and im not completely comfortable with this, lately though even after drinking water, he doesnt seems satisfy and will cry until we sooth him to sleep. he doesnt really have a consitent schedule but he has been on solids for about a month already and drinks about 4 bottles a day between 5 to 7 ozs setting him on a schedule is a bit hard since we are both working parents, i know he is not overly tired because he naps around twice a day for about 2.5 hours. please give me any suggestions because listening to other parents gloat at how perfect their babies are, is making me feel like a bad mom….

sincerely in need of some realistic advice

• Kimberly says:

@Sara- I would recommend that you consider a one on one consultation with Nicole, she can help you come up with a plan that you can implement to address your daughter’s specific issues. You can find information about those services here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/services With sleep training, the key is to be consistent and this might mean being consistent with your sleep training plan for 4 or more weeks before you see significant improvement, especially with a child with a more persistent personality (which may be the case with your daughter.)

@Krista- If he’s not fussing after the feed, then I would just lay him down, pat him and tell him nite-nite and then leave. He will go back to sleep when he’s ready and eventually he understand that it’s time to lay down and go back to sleep and fall back asleep sooner. If he fusses, let him fuss for a bit then go in and do the same thing. The key here is to keep sending the consistent message that it’s time to go to sleep.

@Harlenny- You are definitely not a bad mom. Every baby is different. Some babies do truly wake up at night hungry and it’s not uncommon for a 6 month old to still need to eat up to 2 times a night. Their tummies are still tiny and they are growing so it only makes sense that he might be hungry. So, I would go ahead and feed him at night, but don’t let him fall asleep while feeding. This will help avoid the sleep association of feeding to go back to sleep. If he start so slow with his eating go ahead and end the feeding then lay him down to continue to fall asleep on his own. Decide which wakings you will feed him at (even if it’s just one) and then stick with that. If you want help with sleep training methods other than cry it out and that help limit crying then check out Nicoles ebook, The 3 Step Method to Help Your Child Sleep at http://babysleepswell.com

@Elaine, I’d recommend Nicole’s book, Mastering Naps and Schedules at http://babynapswell.com to come up with a specific plan for extending his nap. Improving day time sleep can often help with night wakings. However, he will need to also learn how to fall asleep on his own and how to go back to sleep on his own with the pacifier. You can also consider one on one consultations with Nicole who can help with both the naps and with how to help sleep train without the pacifier. Plus take into account your child’s reflux issues.

@Kandis- It would be hard to say why he naps differently at your parent’s house without more details. But you might want to go over your nap routine and how he sleeps at home with them to have them try to replicate it as much as possible. They could also go in right about the 30 minute mark and try to “catch” him before he wakes and shush/pat him back to sleep before he’s fully awake. After a few days or week or this, he may start to extend his naps naturally on his own.

7. Krista says:

I have a pretty good schedule with my son who will be 6 months on Friday, and have for a few months. Naps are going good about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs a day. Goes to bed at 6:30 at the latest. The thing i am wondering about is that he wakes up WIDE awake after his middle of the night feed. Now usually it is after 2 or 3 am that he feeds, but he stays wide awake for 1 1/2 hrs then falls asleep. Most of the time he isnt fussy either. Anyone.. help! I want to help him sleep after his feed. thanks!

8. Sara says:

I have tried since birth to get her to be on the three naps a day schedule. As a new infant, this happened for the most part. Around 3 months of age she started taking 3 hour naps in the middle of the day on her own. This didn’t last very long, maybe a week, then we were left with little to no daytime sleep. I still try EVERYDAY to get her to take a morning nap. I nurse her for 20-25 minutes, she can be sound asleep, I lay her in her crib, she rolls over, looks at me and starts laughing and crawling around her crib. I have tried just walking out and leaving her, but then we get into an hour long battle and she still doesn’t nap. I have tried nursing her to sleep in bed with me when my husband is home to watch our 2 year old and she nurses 20-25 minutes then starts playing with the blankets. If she does take an earlier nap, I try to put her down later in the afternoon for a second nap and get the same results. Until 1:00, there is no getting her to sleep. And then, I’m LUCKY if it lasts past 35 minutes. I have let her cry and cry and cry when she wakes up at 35 minutes and she still will not go back to sleep. I have tried nursing her and she nurses then is ready to play, not sleep. She is going down for that one nap and at bedtime quite easily now. It’s just getting her to stay asleep at nap and to not get up every 3-4 hours (or less) all night long. I am at a complete loss. Everything I have tried has worked once or twice or for a week, but then she finds some new issue and there aren’t many more techniques to employ.

9. Lainie says:

Sara –

I feel for you. That stinks. All I can think of is that something probably derailed your progress – teething, I assume. Teething can be a beast!
    But since those teeth are through the gums, I doubt that’s still the issue.

If I were you, I’d go back to Square 1 and do CIO again. It worked before, and it should work again. Although it could be a bit harder since she’s older and more stubborn, but stick with it.

Also, I really suggest doing it in the middle of the night, too. If not, it might confuse her.

It really should work. You just have to stick with it and not give in. If she knows you’ll go in after 20 minutes, she’ll cry for 20 minutes.

Good luck.

10. Sara says:

Hi, I posted on 9/28 about my then almost 7 month old daughter. She is now just over 8 months. We did the CIO finally about 3 weeks ago. The first night she cried for 30 minutes before falling asleep. The next day at nap she cried for 5 minutes, that night for about 30 seconds. However, lately things are worse than before we did the CIO. She is fighting naps (and she only takes one already) and she fights bedtime. At nap I have resorted to nursing her and putting her in her crib at the same time everyday and leaving. I give her so much time, usually 20 minutes, before I return and then nurse her again. Generally she’ll go to sleep the next time I put her down, but not without a few minutes of protest. Bedtime is a drawn out rendition of nap time. Last night it was 2 hours long and then she was up constantly until I finally put her in bed with me and even then she still nursed every 1.5 hours. She has gotten 4 teeth so I don’t know if they are still bothering her even though they are through the gums and she still refuses any and all food that isn’t packaged in a boob so I don’t know if she really does need to eat at night. I’m really against CIO in the middle of the night, but would that consistency help with her getting to sleep all the time? I am at a total loss with this child. I don’t know what would happen to cause things from getting so much better to things being worse than before. Nothing in our routine has changed, nap times and bedtime are the same every night. Maybe the upcoming time change will help “reset” us.

• Kimberly says:

Hi Sara,
      At 8 months of age, she really does need more than one nap. Typically, we recommend at this age, at least two naps of an hour each. Most babies do not transition to just one nap until 15-18 months of age. So, it’s very likely that she’s overtired and that’s why you’re having difficulty getting her down for naps and at bedtime. An overtired baby is much harder to get to sleep (even though you would think they since they are tired, they would go to sleep right away.) If she’s only getting one nap a day, then by bedtime she is so overtired that she just isn’t able to settle. I’d recommend working on getting in at least two naps and then try to find the the right bedtime for her. You might find this helpful: https://www.babysleepsite.com/schedules/8-month-old-baby-schedule/