Comments

1. Jazmine Jarvis says:

Hello, I am not sure how old this article is, or these comments, but I decided to write a comment and try to get an answer anyway…. my almost 2-year-old son a couple months ago started digging and picking at my arms. He will run his hands over the back of my arms until he finds a bump or small pimple and scratch it off. Or dig and scratch at it until it comes off. He usually does this when he’s tired and I’m holding him walking around rocking back-and-forth with him trying to sooth him. And at first it didn’t really hurt although I thought it was odd, he was kind of lightly scratching at them. But now a couple months later he has done it so much that I literally have scabs on the tops of my arms and every time I pick him up he digs at them and it hurts really bad. We are at the point where I have to put Band-Aids over the sores that he’s already created so he does not rip them off when I am holding him not paying attention. Or in the morning since we sleep together, when he wakes up and he still a little sleepy he will come cuddle but immediately find my arms to start rubbing up and down to feel for scabs to scratch off or dig at. This morning he made me bleed into different spots, and as you could imagine this is not a great way to wake up. And it makes me angry when he does it while I’m asleep. And I feel really bad for getting upset with him or angry at him for this. Because I know he is not doing it to purposely bother me or upset me. But it’s gotten very frustrating. He will whine when I pull his hand away or when I cover my arms. I understand he is Soothing, but I desperately need some advice on different ways he can sooth himself.

• Danielle says:

Hi Jazmine,
      Thanks for visiting The Baby Sleep Site! I’m so sorry to hear that your baby is hurting you while you sleep. Is there any way that you could sleep with long sleeves, to protect your arms and help redirect him to soothe another way? If he’s almost 2, you may also want to talk to him about it, and develop a set of consequences for scratching you. You deserve to be able to sleep without getting hurt, and it’s important for him to learn it’s not okay to hurt others, either. We have an article with some help for gentle discipline that I hope will help: https://www.babysleepsite.com/toddlers/toddler-discipline-sleep/
      Good luck!

2. Debbie says:

Our 3 year old grandson loves something cool on the left side of his head when he goes to sleep. It used to be his bottle. He asks for water but it’s not to drink. He holds the cool cup on the left temple area mostly, but sometimes moves it to his lips and face. If impatient he’ll grab something- remote, cell phone, anything remotely cool, and hold it to that area. He’s always done it and I find it fascinating, but worry a little. His Mom asked him recently if he remembered coming out of her tummy and he touched that spot and said “owie” ( He was born using forceps-agh!)
    I know, ask the doctor. Anyone else had this experience?

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Debbie, thank you for your comment. I am sorry you’ve been concerned about your grandson! I’ve never had any experience with this but hopefully other parents and grandparents can weigh in upon seeing your comment. 🙂 Thanks for vising the Baby Sleep Site!

• Paula says:

Hello, hey im not doctor, but perhaps.. Its just a mental thing where is.. He needs that cool feel, for comfort,sanity,reliever.. When reading ur story I couldn’t help but to remind myaelf this is how I feel when im sitting inside a car and the windows are up.. I just can do it! I need fresh air.. Same in my bedroom.. Its 15° out my window is open.. And I panic if I have to search for a cool fresh air spot.. So I can imagine how he feels.. Make him ice packs, with cute clothes wraps.. Or even a bucket of ice along his bedside.. Keep his hand in.

3. Nadia says:

Wow amazing article and comments. Its so nice to after a year and half find something that can help me understand my 2nd born of 3 children (eldest girl and 2 boys). I had 3 kids in a 3 year period. my 1st born loves her siblings even when i was expecting both boys, but nr2 pushed me away as soon as I was pregnant.( Nr2 was born at 29 weeks 55 days in NICU because of a very stressful time in my marriage.) A pshycologist told me not to feel too bad aslong as he bonds with someone which is his dad. but now he shows so many alarming signs like head banging, pulling a hoody over his face and rocking back and forth, standing on his knees and hands rocking and making ah ah ah noises, pulling and twisting his hair. He ignors the new baby completely and the new baby must not even touch him. I do show him the baby and put the baby next to him so he can know the baby is here to stay, i also spend some alone time with nr2 when the other 2 kids are either with dad or sleeping. Nr2 doesnt like being held or cuddled (ive tried so many times:( to hold him, when he is sleepy he will allow me to and also when his father isnt around he will allow me to hold him for a few minutes). I feel so responsible for all this. I do hope it goes away soon and that he will open up to me. We do not have a bond and there are some stress factors like marriage and finances. Its really a blessing to have 3 kids but so much hard work when all of them want attention at the same time.

• Janelle Reid says:

@Nadia, Thank you so much for writing and we are glad you found the Baby Sleep Site helpful. I am so sorry to hear how you’ve been struggling with your middle child. I know I am not a medical professional, but I do hope to also encourage you that the things you are seeing that are different in your second child are not your fault. You sound like a great mom that is doing your best at figuring out how you can love each child best – as they all need different things from you. If you are struggling with his sleep we would be happy to help, we have worked with families with babies and toddlers of all different temperaments and would love to work with you. For more information please email us at contact@babysleepsite.com
      Hang in there!

4. Davina says:

My 15 month old son likes eyelashes anyone that’s near him he’ll try to play with their eyelashes. Just moves his fingers back and forth on eye lid sometimes (not much) he plays with his own eyelashes. Not hard but to relax him. He does it when he’s tired.

• Neosha says:

@Davina – Thank you for reading and for sharing with us! How adorable that your little guy does this – my son used to do this with the meaty part of our ears whenever he was tired or just really relaxed. We got so used to it that we actually missed it when he stopped doing this around 3 or 4 years old! 🙂 Please keep reading!

5. alissa settle says:

my 18 month old shakes his head back and forth fast and hard He doesn’t just do it at bed time or nap time…he does it alot!! He seems to find it funny. I think at times he is bored like sadly when I’m trying to read to him but other times he can seem happy and content and just do it…????

• Janelle Reid says:

@Alissa Settle, my 13 month old does that when he’s eating, he cracks himself up doing it too. Thanks for your comment!

6. Afia Nessa says:

Hi my son is almost 5 he rubs my ears and grindes his teeth. Sometimes he can do it and it hurts me i dont think he knows when he is doing it in his sleep. He can get crazy at times. Even when he is awake he rubs my ears. If i dont let him he gets upset. Iv also noticed he dont like people shouting in the house he gets upset starts to throw things around. He gets upset easily aswell. He still in nappies at night time. I do worry about him. He is the youngest of 6 and none of my other kids have been like this.

• Janelle Reid says:

@Afia Nessa, Thank you for your comment. I am sorry to hear you are troubled by your son’s different behavior. Since we are not medical professionals I can’t say for sure what may be going on outside of the norm, so if you are concerned I would set up an appointment with your son’s doctor to take it from there so you can get a peace of mind and know what the next steps are (if there are any). I hope that things begin to improve soon, hang in there!

7. Nidia says:

Hi
    My 17 month old pinches my arm,hands,neck… he has been doing this since he was born..
    But now that he is older, I guess he has more strength! And it hurts!
    He always does that while I’m nursing him..

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Nidia, yikes! I can relate to that as well. I hope he stops pinching soon!

• Nidia says:

He does that when he is trying to sleep..

8. Michelle says:

My son just turned 3 and for as long as I can remember he wipes his upper lip with his finger back and forth when he is going to sleep and waking up. Normal? He has a baby sister now who is 9 months but he did this long before she was even concieved.

• Janelle Reid says:

@Michelle, Thanks for sharing with us! Toddlers are all so different so it could be normal for him! 🙂 If you have any concerns about it I’d mention it at his next visit to the pediatrician. Thanks for using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource!

9. Charlotte says:

My daughter has been rocking herself side to side (at first just her head when she was in a sleep suit) and now that she is almost 2, her whole body left to right from the knees up. Fast, too! She also “sings” or “tones” in usually recognizable rhythms (like “twinkle twinkle little star” or other songs we sing) or she’ll repetitively say, “mama, mama, mama” or “dada, dada, dada” with each movement, or just vowel sounds (like toning – “ah, ah ah…”) She only does this when she is going down to sleep and we can stop her if we ask her to (and she will wait until we leave to start up). It doesn’t concern anyone really but I am having her checked out by a neurologist just to make sure. She is very much physically loved on during the day and we keep her on a pretty consistent sleep schedule (1 day nap for 1-2 hours and bed at 8 or so until 8 or so–she has always been a good sleeper). The only thing she does is space out some while eating usually and is a late walker (20 months and still not on her own) so those are my additional reasons for seeing the neuro. Just wanted to throw that out there if you had any insights. I am a health sciences nerd and love psych and have been learning a ton about the temporal lobes and their impact on rhythm, music/tone, and ability to moderate relaxation. It’s also where seizure activity is (which all makes sense). I’m wondering if she doesn’t have some kind of hiccup there because all of her “quirks” line up with temporal lobe abilities and issues.

• Janelle Reid says:

@Charlotte, thank you for sharing with us! Your daughter sounds like she is very sweet, but I am sorry you are a bit concerned with her eating, delayed walking, and falling asleep behaviors. I think going an seeing a neurologist is a wonderful idea – I recently took my son to get an EEG because he’d had a couple seizures and it really brought a peace of mind to me to have just made sure everything was okay and to get a plan if anything was out of place. I hope you get the same sigh of relief from getting clarity to what’s going on. Good luck with everything and I hope her results all come back clear. 🙂

10. Greg says:

Hi my son is 29 months old while sleeping he likes to rub his head on my elbow until he sleeps same during day while playing he does that in between and it’s constant every day if I don’t give him my elbow to rub he’s head he gets upset and hits his head with his hand same when he’s showing tantrums he’s not talking yet just speaks some words like hat,car,key,daddy,mumma that’s all he speaks if I take him to playgroup he won’t play with other kids but will play himself with toys or he won’t sit in one place or listen to music nicely just run if I try to teach him something he’s not interested in it for long will get upset otherwise he’s happy baby he like cuddles and playing with cars likes Hide and seek and sometimes he’s kind and sharing too

• Janelle Reid says:

@Greg, thanks for sharing with us your son’s self-soothing things he does! Thank you for reading and using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource. 🙂