Comments

1. Keepers says:

My 5 year old girl dry humps and thrashes about like she’s wrestling with herself just before she falls asleep. Is that normal and why is she doing it?

• Janelle Reid says:

@Keepers, thanks for writing to us! I honestly don’t know why our kids do some of the things they do. Some people do toss and turn a bit before settling down, so that may be the case for your daughter. I’m sure if you wanted clear answers you could talk to her doctor about doing a sleep study and they would let you know if everything is normal or if you have any cause for concern. I hope this helps!

• Anne Miller says:

This is what my 2 year old does. Check out primary motor stereotypies. It’s a conscious but not way of self-soothing/motor stimulation. Johns Hopkins has some study reports. We’re going to get a sleep study on her and an EEG. It’s usually caused by GABA (an amino acid neurotransmitter) deficiency.

2. Theodore says:

My 7 year old likes to take random items to bed with her. Many times we find torn tissue, pictures, and other decoration items in her bed. We have asked her many times why she wants that stuff in her bed but she doesn’t know. Does this happen often?

• Danielle says:

Hi Theodore,
      Thanks for using The Baby Sleep Site as a resource! We usually work with children up to age 5 or so, but a lot of kids do take some interesting things to bed with them! It’s usually not a problem as long as there are no choking hazards or other safety issues 🙂 Hope this helps!

3. Jenna says:

My son is almost 3years old, he NEEDS to put my fingers before his nose, especially before he sleeps but does it all day too or my mom’s when I am not around, I thought it was because of our smell? He only does it with me, his dad and my mom…

• Neosha says:

@Jenna – Thanks for reading and for sharing! It very well could be your smell or just a habit – if it’s concerning to you, please don’t hesitate to contact his healthcare provider for some reassurance or ideas. Best wishes!

4. Kristen says:

My 19 month son lays on my belly . I’m not pregnant but he loves to lift up my shirt and lay directly on my stomach even when he’s not sleepy

• Neosha says:

@Kristen – Thank you for sharing – that is just too adorable! 😉

• Marietjie says:

Hi My 2 and half year old son also suddenly start doing this out of the blue and I try not draw his attention more towards it or tell him it is wrong. I cuddle him for a while.. not alway possible as he insist on lying on my tummy with his shirt up and mine. But I believe in my heart it is just a bonding thing for them to makw them feel more secure maybe.

5. Gigi says:

My 2 year old rocks himself back and forth to sleep. Sometimes he even screams and cries. Sadly we lost my husband, his daddy last year when my was just over a year old. Could he be missing his dad? Would he have remembered him? Other than that he’s your average playful stubborn two year old. One more thing he’s very needy of my attention and jealous. He’s in day care but I hardly ever leave him for more than 7 hours. Once he’s home he gets lots of love and kisses

• Danielle says:

Hi Gigi,
      Thank you for your comment. I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. Of course I’m sure your son misses him, and also, a lot is happening in a two year-old’s sleep that could be contributing to any sleep concerns. Separation anxiety does tend to increase around this age, and sometimes sleep needs change suddenly, and a family needs to change the baby’s schedule to adjust. We have an article all about 2 year-old sleep that I think will be helpful to you here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/toddlers/5-things-about-2-year-old-toddler-sleep-2/
      Best of luck with everything, and please let us know if we can be of further help!

• Anne Marie Miller says:

I’m so sorry about your husband‘s passing. I have been doing some further research into my own two-year-olds rocking, crying, and screaming. If you do a search for Dr. Singer primary motor stereotypie, it might have some good explanations for you. We think that is the cause of our daughters. I am the original poster.

• Gigi says:

Thank you all so much for the information.

6. Lynn says:

Not sure how old this article or other comments are but When I am laying next to My 15 month old she takes her hand and scratches it underneath my arm. It hurts! Since her hand is under my arm and she is scratching so hard I sometimes worry she’s going to bend her fingernails backward (if that makes any sense). She’s been doing it for a very long time. I can’t remember when it started but I know it’s been awhile. She definitely does it when she’s tired and trying to go to sleep. When I try to stop or redirect her she just sits up and then lays back down and tries again. She doesn’t give up easily. Would love a tip on how to get this behavior to stop as it is very painful.

• Janelle Reid says:

@Lynn, thanks for stopping by the Baby Sleep Site and sharing your story with us! Hopefully other mom’s will chime in and give you some suggestions on ideas for how to manage this. If it were me I’d probably try to give her something to hold that’s small like a lovey or maybe even your tshirt? Or maybe she likes the weight of your body on her hand so you could try putting a blanket between you and her hand so she scratches the blanket and you can eventually transition her to doing it without the pressure of your hand? Sorry I’m just throwing some things out there, I hope you come up with a solution or a way to stop it soon!

• Sharon L Polk says:

You should square off your child fingernails with a baby nail trimmer. My son is 20mths and it comes in handy since birth.

7. Fathima says:

My 17 month old baby boy used to rub his lower part on my leg or head wn he feel sleepy.. i feel sad to see what he is doing..got one month old baby girl too.. dont know weathr her arrival made him to do so.. but Think he has no problm with her..

8. melissa larsen says:

My son is 20 months and is obsessed with sticking his hand down my shirt. I nursed him until he was 16 months, but its not just me he does it to, however he prefers breasts. More recently he had started scratching and stabbing my sternum leaving marks and literally making it sensitive and hurt. He does it all day everyday, but more vigerously when he is tired, hurt or scared. Help!!

• Janelle Reid says:

@Melissa Larsen, oh no! I’m sorry to hear that! I have a little guy that pulls my little baby hairs all around my hair line (thanks to him for those little baby hairs with all the postpartum hair loss he caused me, ha) and it is miserable! I just try to be consistent and tell him no and show him how to be gentle by stroking his hands on my face and arms. Maybe some kind of consistency would be helpful in time for you? So sorry you’re struggling with this, that is no fun.

9. zindi says:

this was very helpful my son pulls on my ears before sleeping and when he wakes up according to this making up for missed cuddling time and I have been working a lot but after reading this article I will be giving a whole lot more kisses and hugs

• Danielle says:

Hi Zindi,
      Thank you for your comment – we’re so glad to hear the article was helpful for you! Visit again soon!

10. Mahrukh says:

My younger sister is 13 years old.she has been very stubborn since her childhood. Although she got much attention from her parents and has been a pampered one.The problem is,whenever we (family members) use to move our leg or drag she gets angry, shouts and repeats the something.She gets easily distracted by external stimuli (noise) while sleeping.when asked, she said,i don’t know why I feel angry.

• Neosha says:

@Mahrukh – Thank you for stopping by our sleepy little village and for commenting. That is indeed a strange situation – We do hope things got better with your sister as she got older. Thank you again for sharing, and please keep reading!