Comments

1. Bebe says:

My 14 weeks old girl wakes once at night for a feed but stays awake up to 2 hours. My husband gives her a bottle of mine expressed breast milk but she won’t take more than 100ml.
    Is she sleeping too much during the day – she wakes -around 7am, has a nap at 8.20 (20min), then sleeps in the pram around 11am for up to 3 hours on the go to nursery to pick up my older son, and then just cat naps 20 min at 3pm , 4.30, 6pm. She will sleep by 8pm. She used to self settle but now wants me to hold her to get to sleep. Any suggestions?? Many thanks Bebe

• Janelle Reid says:

@Bebe, Thank you for stopping by the Baby Sleep Site and leaving a comment. I am sorry to hear you are struggling with your daughter’s sleep. Newborns need a lot of sleep during the day, I would just make sure that the gaps between her naps are no more than 2 hours. This may lead to more naps initially, but hopefully they will begin to lengthen out as she gets a bit older as I think that will help improve her night time sleep as well. It is possible she still has a tiny bit of day/night confusion, but this is super common and will certainly get better. When your husband goes in at night to give her the bottle, I would suggest he make the interaction as “boring” as possible – keeping the light as low as he can, stay quiet, and in the room she sleeps if you can. Thanks again for using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource for sleep!

2. Kristy says:

Is there a 2 month sample schedule. The newborn sample schedule ends at 8 weeks the next sample schedule is this on which starts at 3 months.

• Danielle says:

Hi Kristy,
      Thanks so much for using The Baby Sleep Site as a resource! We do not have a sample 2 month schedule, since most babies this young aren’t really on a schedule yet, but we do have an article just about 2 month-old sleep patterns, which I hope will fill in some gaps for you. You can read that here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/newborns/2-month-old-baby-sleep-tips/
      Please let us know if you have any specific questions, though, we’d love to help! good luck!

3. Meghan says:

Hello,

My 2 month old is doing a pretty great job of following the formula fed schedule up until bedtime. We typically bathe her around 8, rub lavender lotion, and then feed her and try to put her down at 8:30, but then she will sleep for 30 minutes tops before fighting sleep for 2 hours. Any suggestions on how to get her just to go down for the night for good around 8:30?

Thanks!

• Jessica Diller says:

@Meghan, thank you for commenting. I am glad to hear that you’ve found a routine that works for your little one. The initial wake up can be common for newborns at this age while they learn to adjust to a routine and schedule. I recommend reading our free newborn guide that may give you more insight: https://www.babysleepsite.com/15-free-baby-sleep-facts-new-parents-must-know/

4. Elizabeth says:

Hello!
    My 3mo son sleeps great at night, but has very short naps. Like never an hr or more. More like 30 mins sometimes 45. Is this something I should worry about? It makes it hard to have schedules like this. But I do the wake eat play sleep schedule for now! He still nurses about every 2 hrs during the day. At night he only wakes up once usually! Thank you for and tips and feedback in advance

5. Iryna says:

So glad I found this site! Thank you!
    I do have a couple of questions regarding the above schedule.
    My baby is 2.5 months, and is bottle fed ( I mix expressed breast milk with formula, he does not take the breast).
    In this case- which schedule do we stick with? The formula one?
    Also, he is NOT a fan of daytime naps (tends to take short15-30min light naps), however does manage just one 1.5-3hr daytime nap most days . As he keeps me busy and I have no time for myself (even the basics like food) I regard this as a gift and use it to catch up on me.
    In order to find consistency in our day (of which we have none)- should I then break these occasional long naps by waking him to try and get to some type of schedule?
    WOuld really appreciate your response!
    Thanks in advance:)

6. Sev says:

My milk isn’t enough for my daughter. Because of that I’ve started to give her bottle but she doesn’t even finish 120ml.And she chucks most of the milk and the Formula. I don’t have enough breastmilk for her. What can i eat or drink to have more milk. Please help

• Neosha says:

@Sev – Thank you for reading and commenting. In our experience, the vast majority of women who nurse their children regularly produce enough milk to properly nourish their children. If your little girl is growing and developing properly and on schedule, regardless of how much she seems to spit up, she’s more than likely getting enough nutrition already. If you’re concerned about your breast milk supply, your best bet would be in reaching out to your daughter’s healthcare provider and perhaps to an organization like La Leche League (http://www.llli.org/) for further support. We have an article here as well that may help you understand about your milk storage and capacity in your breasts: https://www.babysleepsite.com/breast-milk-production-storage-capacity/

I hope this information is helpful, Sev. Please do keep reading our blog and commenting and all the best as you continue your breastfeeding journey with your daughter.

7. Chelsea says:

Hi there, similiar to previous posters Q- how do we avoid feeding to sleep when my baby wants to feed every 2hrs & is awake for 1.5-2hrs so won’t settle without a feed because it’s too close to feed time? But then ends up falling asleep feeding, when previously she would self settle… Thankyou in advance!

• Katherine Benskey says:

@Chelsea It is great that you are thinking about her sleeping habits at this young age! The newborn stage can be so hard in regards to schedules. If your little one is hungry before sleep, by all means, feed her. 🙂 Babies will sleep better if they are not hungry (I know I don’t sleep well when my stomach is grumbling!). You will want to try to keep your daughter awake during the feeding and avoid having her fall asleep at the end of the feeding. You can try rubbing your daughter’s feet as she is eating, and keep an eye out for her starting to nod off at the end. If she looks like she is falling asleep, gently remove her. Burping babies often wakes them enough after the feeding, so you can then put her down drowsy, but awake. This can take a bit of practice, and may not be perfect all the time at her age.

If your daughter will not fall asleep without eating to sleep, you may want to consider some gentle sleep coaching. These methods are very gentle and appropriate for her age, and will allow her to learn how to fall asleep without eating. You can read more about gentle methods here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/gentle-sleep-training/

Thanks for commenting, and please let us know if you have any other questions! You can reach us at contact@babysleepsite.com. Good luck!

8. Marlee Griggs says:

Under the breastfeeding schedule, it seems like some of the times they are being nursed to sleep-is that ok to still do at this age? And, I feel like there’s so much conflicting information out there, and I’ve read that keeping them up later usually results in more night wakings? I think I just feel at a loss-our daughter is almost 3 months old and fights sleep and has a hard time with naps, but we’ve been doing a 6/7 pm bedtime and then a dream feed and then she normally wakes up between 2/3 am to eat and then is up again between 6/7 am. Any thoughts or insights would be helpful!

• Neosha says:

@Marlee – Thank you for reading! I completely understand your pain and confusion. There is SO much information out there and so much of it contradicts that it boggles the brain. That’s actually one reason The Baby Sleep Site exists – to get parents out of the muck of so many different opinions and ideas and offer simpler, expert tips and consultations based on our work with thousands of families and on research and science. If you would like to nurse your daughter to sleep, there’s no reason not to if she’s able to stay asleep/put herself back to sleep during the night or naps without having to be nursed back to sleep following each sleep cycle. If she’s needing to be nursed to sleep because she doesn’t know any other way to sleep, you may want to reconsider nursing her to sleep and instead help teach her to sleep on her own since the nursing has likely become an association in need of breaking. You can read a bit about sleep associations here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association/

As your baby gets older, the bedtime will definitely start to get earlier than 9pm. If your bedtime is currently working at 6/7pm, there’s no need to make any adjustments. If she’s waking 1-2 times each night for a feeding, then is back off to sleep again, that sounds like a win to me! 🙂 If she’s fighting sleep, you may want to be sure you’re watching for her sleepy cues to be sure you’re trying to put her down to sleep before she gets too tired and not trying to put her down to sleep when she’s not actually tired yet.

Hang in there, Marlee and please keep reading!

9. Mackenzie Thada says:

My 3-month old takes four 30ish min naps and a longer 1.5-2 hour nap (usually in the afternoon). He can only handle being awake for about an hour before he gets super fussy, but I’m wondering if he’s not getting enough awake time because he wakes up every two hours at night and his hard to settle back down. Should I increase daytime wake times even when he’s fussy? I am at a loss! Also bedtime is a huge battle and I cannot figure out how to successfully do the evening “catnap”.

• Neosha says:

@Mackenzie – Thank you so much for reading and commenting! Many 3 month old babies can only stay awake for about an hour, which is perfectly normal! We wouldn’t recommend trying to stretch your little guy’s wake times at this age since this is likely to just make him fussier and worsen his sleep. Waking every 2-3 hours for a feeding at night is also okay at this age and it’s possible it’ll stretch to every 3-6 hours over the next several weeks as he gets closer to 4/5 months. And don’t worry about getting the catnap just right! It’s not really something you can practice – we just find that some babies take a super short “nap” around this time and are ready for a longer stretch of sleep an hour or two later.

You may also want to keep in mind that most babies go through a regression at about 4 months old (I’m not sure how close your little guy may be to 4 months), which disrupts sleep pretty mightily as well. You can read a bit about that here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-regression-2/4-month-sleep-regression-checklist/

And if you find you need more support, please consider one of our consultation packages where one of our expert consultants can work one-on-one with you on getting your little guy to sleep better during the day and night. You can read about those options here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-toddler-sleep-consulting-services/

I hope this helps. Hang in there, Mackenzie!

10. Leila Baisden says:

I have a question about the 30 min naps for breast feed babies in the schedule. Is that like when they fall asleep after feeding for a quick nap and then are up again for another 1.5 hours ?

• Danielle says:

Hi Leila,
      Thank you so much for your comment! Yes, most babies this age are taking these very short naps, and then are awake again for about an hour to an hour and a half. Some babies will take longer naps, and that’s okay too – there’s a lot of variation in what’s “normal” for this age. The important thing is just to make sure your baby is napping often enough, and not being kept up too long in between, so that they don’t get overtired. I hope this helps, but please let us know if you have any other questions, and thank you for reading The Baby Sleep Site!