Comments

1. Kristen Lutz says:

My 3 month old sleeps from 10pm-6am every night with no night wakings. She eats 4oz every 2-3 hours during the day and gets a total of 25-30oz a day. She naps when she wants and usually takes several naps a day for 45-90min. Is this acceptable. Everything I read talks about babies sleeping 12 hours at night with night wakings so I am not sure if her doing 8 straight is good.

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Kristen Lutz, thanks for visiting the Baby Sleep Site! It sounds like your daughter is doing great. 🙂 All babies are a little different but it is normal to have a later bedtime (you can see from the sample schedules above) and as your baby gets older she will gradually move to an earlier bedtime. It sounds like you’re doing a great job at making sure she gets an appropriate amount of sleep during the day and doesn’t have too much wake time in-between, so she does not get overtired. I hope everything continues to go so smoothly for you!

• Kristen says:

Thank you!

2. Imelda says:

Hi, my breastfed 3 month old infant, can sleep 7-8 hrs in a stretch from evening onwards. During that period, should i pump out? I worry I don’t have enough should decided to wake up for night feeding.

• Neosha says:

@Imelda – Thank you for stopping by our sleepy little village! You should feel free to pump whenever your breasts feel full enough for it! Whether you “need” to pump will depend alot on your milk establishment and your storage capacity, which you can read more about here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/breast-milk-production-storage-capacity/ You should also double check with your baby’s healthcare provider to be sure! Hope this helps! Please keep reading!

3. April says:

Gud day ,
    REgarding on my baby feeding is it normal if he only takes 40ml 5x in a day ??( formula Milk )

• Neosha says:

@April – Thank you for your question! We do generally expect a 3 month old baby to eat quite frequently during the day, whether formula or breast milk. Please contact your son’s healthcare provider to be sure your little guy is drinking enough to keep up with his individual growth and nutrition needs. He/She will be better able to answer this specifically for you! Best of luck, and please keep reading!

4. Brenda Rodriguez says:

I have a three month old it’s my third baby and I feel I’m doing something wrong …she sleeps tons …the problem is her settling to stay asleep at night…example I wake her up at 11 am and she she will eat go back to sleep at 12pm I have to wake her up at 2 pm and nurse her and she will nap at 3 -3:15 and I have to wake her again 5 pm and again naps 6:15 and I wake her at 8 then she naps like 9:30 to 10:30 or less the. Put her to bed like 11:30 and that’s where she won’t settle I’ve tried letter her sleep earlier I’ve tried later and she cries like only at night does noise. Bother her only at night she doesn’t want to sleep …once she’s asleep which by then is probably like 12:30-1am she knocks out for 8-10 straight and will eat and go right back to bed and again I have to wake her up at 11 am ….what am I doing wrong ?? I see you didn’t put ( 12 hours night sleep schedule until 4 months)

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Brenda Rodriguez, thank you for writing to us. I am sorry you are struggling with your daughter’s schedule! It is common to be a little crazy in the early days, but if you need help getting her on track since it sounds like you are already very busy with 3 kids, our sleep consultants would love to look at your child’s sleep history and give you personalized information to help. You can view our different options here if you are interested: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-toddler-sleep-consulting-services/ Hang in there!

5. Lesley says:

Curious about scheduling for 3 1/3 month old baby and how to help her sleep longer stretches at night. She naps great throughout the day and feeds every 3 hours:
    8/11/2/5/8. However she wakes at 1 and 5:30 every night to feed but goes right back to sleep. Does she need more feedings during day to help her through the night?

6. Kim says:

My breastfed baby only sleeps for about 30 mins per nap during the day for EVERY NAP. And eats every 2 hours during the day. She is 11 1/2 weeks old. Is this normal? When will she start eating every 3 or more hours? And when will she take longer naps? She follows a sleep feed play routine right now.

• @Kim Thank you for taking time to comment and welcome to our sleepy little village! Some breastfeeding babies do need to eat more frequently than every 3 hours, at this age (my boys were both like that, too). There is a wide range of what’s “normal,” of course. Sleep typically begins to organize around 4 months old, but of course, for some babies we need to work on longer naps. Have you checked out our free e-Book, 7 Common Napping Mistakes? If you’re interested, here’s the link: https://www.babysleepsite.com/7-common-napping-mistakes

7. Megan says:

Hi there, Our 12 week old is generally a good sleeper, waking only once since around 8 weeks. Recently she went through a rough patch for about 2 weeks, waking up at 4am and only having short naps after that until what we consider morning (6-8am), which meant much less sleep for me than when she was sleeping in two longer chunks. At the same time, she had started having monster long naps in the evening (e.g., 5-9pm). On our doctor’s advice we have tried putting her to bed at night a bit earlier than we had been up until this point (10-11pm), and this does seem to help get her back on the two big chunks of sleep and an earlier night time wake up. Limiting the length of her naps after 5pm also seems to help. But she really seems to struggle against being put to bed between 8 and 9pm, and will usually only sleep for 30 minutes or so. She’s definitely harder to get to sleep in general these days, but is also much more alert and observes the world more. My question is, what is the point, if she isn’t actually going to sleep for the night until after 10pm, of going through her bedtime routine and putting her to bed earlier, instead of just treating that before bed sleep chunk like a nap (which we often do with her in a front carrier)? The reason I ask is that it just seems to prolong the nighttime getting her to sleep struggles, as she cries and fusses going down and when she wakes up. I realize we’ll have to get her to fall asleep independently soon, but we thought we would try to shift her to an earlier bedtime first (one thing at a time!). Thanks for any advice you may have!

• Neosha says:

@Megan – Thank you for stopping by our sleepy little village and for sharing! I’m glad to hear your little girl is generally a good sleeper for you guys and that things have gotten better somewhat following your doctor’s recommendation. However, as a representative of our Client Relations team, I’m only able to offer you general advice and direct you to resources, but from your questions it sounds as though you may truly benefit from working one-on-one with one of our trained Sleep Consultants. Based on what you’ve described, I would suggest you consider a membership subscription to our Members Area, where you’re able to chat live with our sleep consultants with specific questions just like the one you’ve posed here. Or, if you’d like more support, you can consider working with a consultant one-on-one with one of our personalized consultations. You can learn more about our Members Area here and our consultations here. Thank you again for visiting and the best of luck!

8. Mary says:

Thanks for your kind information. I am really warred about my babes sleeping problem. I cant put him on any kind of schedule, Almost every night he cries without sleep. Hope you will help me.

• Janelle Reid says:

@Mary, Thank you for writing to us! I am sorry to hear you are struggling with your son’s sleep. I remember how much of a challenge it was when both of my sons were in those early months of life and trying to get a schedule but being frustrated and lost when every day seemed to be different. Coming from the other side, I can assure you it will improve in time! Some babies are not able to be put on a strict schedule until they are closer to 6 months (or sometimes a little further on).
      The main thing to pay attention to when you baby is this young, is the amount of time your baby is staying awake. At 3 months old, you will want to do your best to not let your baby get overtired, so they will likely only have about 1.5-2 hours of wake time before you offer another nap, sometimes less! (I find when they wake up in the morning that first nap usually comes a lot quicker to be almost an extension of their night time sleep.)
      If he is fussing a lot at night it may be that he is over tired, so try offering naps more frequently and hopefully you will see an improvement quickly. Here is also a link to some ways to soothe your newborn at this age: https://www.babysleepsite.com/newborns/better-newborn-sleep-7-tips/
      I hope this helps, thank you for using The Baby Sleep Site as a resource for sleep!

9. Aurora's Momma says:

How long is the 4:30pm nap supposed to be?

My baby was sleeping from 7:30-7:45 until roughly 5am, awake to nurse then back to sleep from 5:30-5:45 until 7am. She did that at 2.5 months for about a full week, and I finally felt I had a good grasp on getting her sleep at night. She’d wake up smiling, or cooing.

I’m not sure what’s happened, but in the last week she’s been up almost every 2 hours, and sometimes screaming 🙁

Maybe she’s having a “wonder week”?

Nap times have ALWAYS been a struggle. I listen to her cues and pay attention to her sleepy face/yawns but besides being able to lay her down for her first nap (occasionally) I cannot seem to get her to lay down for any other naps during the day.

I must either hold her, or put her in the swing (in both cases she will only sleep through ONE sleep cycle- if that). I don’t like allowing her to sleep in the swing due to my fear of positional asphyxiation, but she’s so tired and I’m not sure what else to do for her.

She wakes up early now. Between 5:30-6:30 almost daily ready to go. I try to resettle her and lay her back down until at least 7a, and if she won’t sleep then I just get her up.

I’m not sure if I’m doing something different than 2 weeks ago when she was sleeping through, and waking around 7a.. or if she’s just going through a phase, or if maybe all the frustration of her not getting in normal and consistent naps has caught up to her.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’m so thankful for this site. Struggling momma’s everywhere salute you!

• Neosha says:

@Aurora’s Mom – Thank you for stopping by our sleepy little village and for your comment. I know how exhausted you both must be. 🙁 By 3 months, babies are much more alert than they were at 2 months, or even 2.5 months, so sleep can become a bit more difficult. Naps are generally harder to come by than night sleep but we find that babies sleep a little easier if you set the scene (dim, quiet, conducive to sleep,etc.). If you’re not already, you can also start working on her sleep routines which in time will help cue her body for sleep. You can read more about creating routines here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/fixed-points-help-baby-sleep/

Generally, we’d expect that 4:30 nap to be what’s normal for your baby girl. An hour is a general rule of thumb for a nap, though. If your baby girl is leaning closer to 4 months than 3, it’s possible that she could be entering a period of development that triggers a sleep regression – causing shorter naps and much more frequent waking at night. You can read more about that regression here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/4-month-sleep-regression/

If nothing you’re doing is working, you can consider some gentle sleep coaching for your precious girl to start teaching her more independence in her sleep – we have an article that may be helpful in guiding you to a good start here – https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/gentle-sleep-training/ If you find that you have more questions, you can contact our client relations team directly here and we’ll be able to help you further. I hope this is helpful – hang in there!

10. Kathryn says:

Hi, My 3 month old daughter is a great night sleeper. I usually feed her to sleep around 8.30pm and she sleeps through until 6.30-7am. My problem however is day time. She seems to have zero routine for feeding and sleeping. I struggle to get her to sleep and settling techniques, eg. pushing her in the pram or rocking seem to work for one or two days but then won’t after that. She has an older brother that wants to ‘help’ put her to sleep but sometimes it can take an hour to get her to sleep (during which he starts getting cranky and wanting attention) only for her to wake up after 10 minutes! She is often then exhausted and falls asleep breastfeeding. I try to not keep her awake for more than an hour after which she seems overtired however it will still often take 30 minutes plus to get her off to sleep! Do you have any hints as to how I can get her to sleep during the day so I can give my son some much needed attention???

• Janelle Reid says:

@Kathryn, thank you for using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource for sleep! That is amazing your daughter is giving you such wonderful stretches at night. It is common though for one area of sleep (in your case nights) to be good while the other is struggling to keep up! Here is an article on the difference between nighttime and daytime sleep to give you more information on that: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-naps-2/why-baby-and-naps-different-than-night-sleep/
      It can be super tough juggling the two different schedules, and giving your older child the attention they still so desperately need from you as well. Here is an article that really helped me (and still is helping me!) when I made the transition from 1 to 2 kids: https://www.babysleepsite.com/schedules/baby-toddler-sleep-schedule-juggling/
      Lastly, here is a link with a few tips that you may want to try as well to help your newborn nap: https://www.babysleepsite.com/newborns/newborn-sleep-baby-tips-10/
      The good news is, it will come! Keep working with her like you have been and stay consistent, and eventually you will get it. It may just not come until she’s a little bit older, as some babies can’t get on a schedule until they’re more in the 4-6 month range.
      Hang in there! Let us know how it turns out or if you need anything else!