Are you tired of one-size-fits-all advice? Yes! I need a personalized sleep solution.

Comments

1. Suzy says:

How long should the cat nap be? My 3 month old just hit a sleep regression. He is now waking at 2:30 and 5:30 then usually up at 7 or 7:30 after that. He was waking at 3 or 6 and sometime 4:30 and then 7:30. He feeds and goes to bed at 9pm. He is breastfed.
    Last night he woke at 12:30 and then 5:30 then 7:30. I haven’t been doing the dream feed. Should I wake him at 10:30 to do the dream feed?? What if he doesn’t wake up?

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Suzy, thanks for writing to us. I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling with a regression – sleep patterns for babies change around 4 months so it sounds like your little guy is experiencing it early. Here is a link to download a free guide with tips to help your baby sleep through the night (but you can use the “through” the night with discretion since he still does need several wake ups at this age, but you can use the tips to help him not wake up out of habit versus need for nutrition): https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-through-night-free-ebook/
      Incorporating a dream feed is up to you, some babies like it, others don’t so its hard to say for sure. You may decide to try it, and if you do, just give it a week or so of consistency to see if it works for him. If you need more help with this, let us know! We have a ton of other resources that can help. Hang in there!

2. Aggie says:

Hello,

My son is 13 weeks. I have been using a lot of advice from your site and I find it works well. I would like a clarification please on the duration of the night sleep. Both schedules are set for 10 hours of night sleep yet in the main body of text on your website it says that babies at this age require 11-12hour sleep.

Aggie

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Aggie, thanks for writing to us. I am glad the articles have been helpful and I’m happy to clarify. The bedtime is officially listed later, but the 11-12 hours a night would begin at the catnap, since there’s just a quick feed in there before bedtime officially starts. I hope this helps!

3. Amy Collins says:

My baby is ust over 3 months old and I see the schedule for night goes from 1130 bedtime to 9 – but doesn’t really explain how to make that leap. Should I just back my baby’s bedtime up by 30 min every few nights? And then by four months the same to get to 7 pm? Currently she feeds around 6 am and then falls asleep till 10 or 11 (assume because of late bedtime) – should I wake her earlier as I back up the bedtime? And my last question: baby currently naps all around wherever she sleeps, since newborns sleep so often. When is it recommended to start formal naps (in crib, swaddled etc).

• Debbye @ The Baby Sleep Site says:

Hi @Amy – Thank you for writing! Do keep in mind that these are sample schedules and you are free to make them your own! Adjust bed and wake times as needed to fit besot for your family. : ) If you do want to adjust bedtime, you can shift the entire schedule a little at a time to get there! Regarding naps, if naps on the go are working well for you, no need to change it now! Perhaps once her naps are longer, around 5 months or so, you will want to start putting her in her crib? Our Members Area should be a really great fit for help with your sleep and schedules now, and as your baby grows! Our Members Area gives you access to all of our e-Books (for newborn age through toddlers!) as well as tele-seminar recordings, case studies, and do-it-yourself tutorials, including a workbook designed to help you create your own sleep plan! The Members Area subscription is very affordable, and available in sizes to fit all budgets. Members also receive 20% off of ALL personalized sleep consultation services, should you find that you would like more personalized assistance.
      You can read more about our Members Area here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/diy/
      We hope that this helps and that you and your family will always be sleeping well!

4. Erryn Mackaway says:

I’m happy to hear the short naps are normal but my 12w old has been waking less and less overnight. Is it okay for him to go 11hrs without a feed? Weight isn’t an issue he’s at the top of the scale, mainly breastfed.

• Debbye @ The Baby Sleep Site says:

Hi Erryn –
      Thank you for visiting us! Is it great to hear that your baby is sleeping well, and we hope that our sleep and feeding schedules are super helpful! Regarding your baby, and how long her can go without a feed overnight, please check with his doctor. The pediatrician will know you his history and have all of the information needed to give the best advice.
      We hope he continues to sleep well!!!

5. Lindsey says:

Is it ok if my almost 3 month old sleeps longer than the 1-1 1/2 hours that appear to be between most naps? He doesn’t have as many naps as indicated on the formula fed schedule, but he naps for longer times.

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Lindsey, thanks for writing to us. Yes, feel free to make adjustments to the schedule and just use it more as a guide. We know all babies are different so we want to give you the information on what to keep wake times to, and how much to feed them, and generally the wake up and bedtimes are where babies tend to want to fall, but you’ll need to cater it to your specific baby, as well as your family’s schedule as well. Hope that helps!

6. Sarah says:

I absolutely love these schedules and find all the information so helpful. My question I have is I am trying to get my two month old (9 weeks) on with the 3 month schedule. However she only naps for 45 minutes. Is this normal or is there something I can do to help her with her sleep transition to make naps longer?

• Danielle says:

Hi Sarah,
      Thanks for using The Baby Sleep Site as a resource! I’m so glad to hear that the schedules have been helpful for you. Yes, many babies do not start napping for longer stretches until closer to 6 months-old. The schedules are a guideline, but if your baby is taking shorter naps right now, which is totally normal, you can adapt the schedule around her naps. We also have an article on fixed points, which may be a better schedule option for you, since she’s so young: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/fixed-points-help-baby-sleep/
      Sleep will change for her a lot over the next couple of months, so this option can be a more flexible way to make sure she’s getting as much sleep as she needs. I hope it helps!

7. Aaliya Bokhari says:

Hi I half feed my 3 month old breastmilk and half formula. Do you have a sample schedule for that scenario?

• Debbye @ The Baby Sleep Site says:

Hi @Aaliya – Thank you for writing to us! I apologise, but we don’t have any “mixed” schedules posted on our blog, because the mix of how much breastmilk and how much formula matters, and we cannot give a general one size fits all schedule for this. But our sleep consultants create custom schedules all the time, and would be happy to help! in our Live Chat or personalized consultations. A consultant can help you with a good schedule during one of our members-only expert chats, or would be happy to create a Personalized Sleep Plan for you with a purchase of one of our consultation packages.
      You can read more about the Live Chat option in our Member’s area here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/diy/
      And check out our consultation packages here:
      Hope you find the perfect fit Aaliya! Thank you again for writing.

• Ankita says:

I have a 3 and half month old baby girl. She is very cranky during the day its very difficult for her to sleep i was giving her both breastmilk and formula once in a day. What am I doing wrong I don’t understand

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Ankita, thanks for commenting! I am sorry your daughter is cranky! As Debbye had previously answered Aaliya, we don’t have a mixed schedule since we don’t know the amounts of each breastmilk and formula you are giving to your baby, but our consultants can help you figure out a plan and give you the accurate amounts based on your baby’s needs if you want help! You can read about our one-on-one consulting options here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-toddler-sleep-consulting-services/
        I may be misreading your comment but it looks like you are breastfeeding her the majority of the time, but are giving her one bottle of formula? Perhaps then you’d want to take a look at the amounts of in the breastfeeding sample schedule since she is almost solely breastfed to make sure she is getting all she needs (if she is gaining weight and her doctor is happy with her weight gain then I would assume all is well). Here is a link to a free guide you can download with tips for the newborn that may help you trouble shoot to find out what the issue is as well: https://www.babysleepsite.com/15-free-baby-sleep-facts-new-parents-must-know/
        As I previously mentioned, if you need help with any of this let us know! We would love to help you soothe your baby so you can better enjoy your time with her. Hang in there!

8. Rachel Shum says:

Hello,

I have a 10 week old boy who I’m not sure is having nap troubles or I am too fixated on having him nap! When you say nap as a fixed point does that mean my baby should be asleep by that time or does it mean I start putting him down at that time?

What if later in the day my baby refuses to nap or shows no sign of tiredness and skips a nap during the routine? Do I just wait until he’s hungry to restart the eat sleep play routine? If my baby wakes after twenty minutes does that count as a nap?

Thank you! Loving this site so far!

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Rachel Shum, congrats on your new baby boy! Things can be so wild at this age as things change so quickly so hang in there. I am glad to hear the site has been helpful so far. If you haven’t yet, please download our free guide with 15 facts about newborn sleep for new parents! You can download it here (and I think it will answer several of your questions): https://www.babysleepsite.com/15-free-baby-sleep-facts-new-parents-must-know/
      The sample schedule is just approximate so we recommend making set points in the schedule for wake up, bed time, and the first nap (goal to be asleep). If you find you need more help let us know! We have a ton of resources for new parents such as an ebook all on newborn sleep for the first year to working one-on-one with a sleep consultant! You can view everything here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-toddler-sleep-consulting-services/
      I hope this helps!

9. Beth says:

I like the idea of this schedule. Right now my baby is almost 8 weeks old. He’s terrible at taking naps, but is more often sleeping a bit longer through the night (usually 4 hours at the start, then between 2-4 after that). He’s exclusively breasted and we give him a late bottle of breastmilk (anywhere from 10pm-1am) so I can get a break.
    On the times above where it says “Wake”, does that mean you would actually wake up the baby if he is sleeping? Right now, when/if he sleeps during the day I would take it instead of waking him up. Also, how do these set feed times work with breastfeeding on demand? He’s pretty good about letting me know when he’s hungry, but sometimes I also nurse him for comfort. He’s gaining weight very well. The newborn schedule has more feeds than he typically has during the day which is why I’m looking at this 3-month schedule.

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Beth, thanks for writing and congratulations on your new son. The schedule above is definitely a sample so don’t worry too much if your baby is not waking or sleeping at the exact same time. As he gets a bit older (4-6 months usually) it is easier for babies to fall into a more by the clock eating and sleeping schedule. We do recommend as you can see on the schedule in implementing “fixed points” in the schedule that are always the same, but everything else in the day is ok to be a little more fluid. I also breastfed both of my babies and did the same as you and nursed on demand in those early months. We have a free guide available with tips for newborn sleep that may provide a little more help. You can download it by signing up here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/15-free-baby-sleep-facts-new-parents-must-know/
      I hope this helps! 🙂

• Beth says:

Hi Janelle,
        Thanks for your reply! So in terms of fixed points, does this mean in the morning I would actually wake baby up at 7am? What if he only fed around 5:45 and just fell back asleep? Also for the first fixed point nap at 8:30am, what if I can’t get him to sleep by that time? Should I keep trying until he falls asleep? Sometimes after I put him down, he’ll start to look around and smile and seem like he’s really awake. Then if I leave him, he starts to fuss and cry and won’t go to sleep then. Should I just pick him up and play with him then if he seems awake? Even if 10 minutes earlier he was giving sleepy signs?
        And if I am supposed to wake him up at 7am, does that mean I should try to keep him awake till 9pm? We’ve been trying to go to sleep between 7:30-8:30pm which is usually when he seems to start to get really tired. Thoughts?

• Danielle says:

Hi Beth,
        Thanks for your response! Janelle is out, so I hope it’s okay that I write you back. For fixed points, yes, you would set morning wake up and first nap and wake your baby up, the idea being that after several days of consistently waking at, say, 7AM, your baby would start to internalize the schedule and just do it (for the most part 🙂 ) You would chose a fixed first nap time that is age-appropriate and aim for that nap time every day.

We have an article just on fixed points that answers frequent questions here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/fixed-points-help-baby-sleep/

I hope this helps!

10. Frances says:

I have to giggle at all the worried parents whose 3 month old wakes 2 at night……. Many parents would dream for that! My sweet Noodle wakes anywhere from 3-6 times!! I’m rolling with it, this to shall pass. Imay be slightly sleep deprived but I’m soaking in all the sweet babiness before it’s gone.

Thank you for all your great free resources! I’ve checked back many times for both my boys for your and reassurance!

• Danielle says:

Hi Frances,
      Thanks so much for visiting The Baby Sleep Site! I’m thrilled to hear that the articles have been helpful for you and your family – thanks for letting us know! I hope you continue to enjoy babyhood while it lasts, and please let us know if we can ever be of help!

• Anna says:

I agree. I just get so upset when I read that parents complain that their baby wakes up twice a night!!! Mine is 3 months and would wake up from 3-6 times just as yours.