Comments

1. laura says:

hello any advice would be much appreciated! I have a 7month old son and his schedule varies but it normally goes something like this!
    6.30- 7.00 wake – 5/6oz formula
    sometimes naps for another hour
    8.00 – 9.00 play
    9.00 – breakfast 1jar stage 1 porridge, 1/2oz formula
    9.30 – 10.30 nap normally 45mins to an hour
    10.30 – play
    11.30 – 5oz formula
    12.00 – play
    1.00 – 1.30 – lunch 1jar stage 1 meat and veg! plus a snack i.e rice cake, half a yoghurt or some fruit, 1oz baby juice
    1.30 – nap for 1hour sometimes an hour n a half
    2.30 – 3.00 – play
    3.30 – 5/6oz formula
    4.00 – play
    5.00 – nap , half hour to 45mins
    6.00 – dinner 1jar stage 1 food fruit or veg! 2oz formula
    now this is where i start to have the problems he gets bath time every other night but from around 7o clock i have tried giving him his bedtime feed and putting him down but he dosent want his feed and is not tired he ends up playing till about half past 8 and then he has 7oz formula and half the time falls asleep in my arms! If he dosent fall asleep in my arms he just falls asleep in his cot! And then the fun starts! normally he will wake up 3,4 times in the night because he has fidgeted too much and turned himself over n round in his cot till he gets to the other end and he has his hands and feet caught in the bars of his cot! he used to be easy to get back to sleep as i would just turn him onto his back put his soother in and stroke his head! BUT the last 4,5 nights he has woke up for 3,4 oz formula at around 2,3 o clock which i dont mind but every time he wakes up in the night he wants to play! and then when i do manage to get him to sleep it is only when he lies on me and as soon as i put him down he wakes up! i dont know what to do! he has been dribbling, putting everything in his mouth for months but has cut no teeth! but he has also started to go off his formula now and it sometimes takes me an hour to get 6oz down him! Another thing is for the past 3weeks he has become so independent on me and seems to cry and moan if anyone else holds him! even my partner (his dad)! I am losing serious amounts of sleep and whenever another member of family offers to take him for a few hours it just causes stress and strain because he will not settle and seems to be permanently grisly with them! Any advice and comments would be very very helpful as i am really starting to struggle and get run down! thanks

2. Heather says:

My baby is 6 1/2 months old and dont go to sleep until 9 -10…Is that too late?

3. Karen says:

My baby is 7.5Months old.

She used to wake up hourly overnight , and had trouble w/ naps until she turned 7 months. Then, she sort of “fixed her self”. So relatively speaking, she is great now.

Suddenly, she started sleeping 6pm to 5am at 7 months, but when I feed her at 5am as her morning bottle, I found that she is very tired and she would fall back asleep. She would wake up an hr later. I discovered by accident that she actually was not sleeping through the night but was waking somewhere between 3 to 5 am and was staying awake, but not making any noise, and playing in her crib for about an hour, then dozes off for an hour or so before waking again at 5am and “calling” for me. She doesn’t cry when she wakes, just yelps and stomps her one leg. Is this behaviour normal? Wake up and play for an hour in the middle of the night? Could she be hungry but not cry out for milk? (She is not eating very much. She refuses solids. Been trying since 6 months old. Takes only about 20 to 25 oz of milk, I wake her at 11pm for an extra feed, but she is so tired that she only manages to stay awake for 2 oz. Not sure if I should continue to wake her.)

I have been trying to shift her to sleep closer to 7pm so she would wake later. No luck so far! She naps 2-3 hrs/day. Her first nap, I wake her after 1.25hrs in fear that she wont’ nap later on in the day. Her 2nd nap is usually around 1 to 1.5hrs. Then another late afternoon nap for 30mins. She still has a hard time staying up until 6.30 for her last feed and can’t take more than 2 oz of milk at this last feed due to sleepiness.

So mainly, I need help with getting her to sleep later and actually not stay up and play overnight. Hope if the sleep issues is resolved, then she might have better appetite.

thx!

• Kimberly says:

@Karen- Most babies will be able to be awake longer as they get older. Look for their cues that they might be getting sleepy if they start to get fussy or rubbing their eyes, then you’ll know that it’s time to get them down for a nap

@Stacy- It sounds like the crawling and the teething could be affecting not only her eating but her sleeping as well. The crawling is a new developmental milestone for her and she wants to keep doing it so she may not focus on eating and sleeping as much. If she’s teething, then I’d recommend making sure she’s comfortable with Motrin or Infant Tylenol as suggested by your pediatrician. Keep consistent with her schedule during this time and keep offering her milk and food.

@Karen- I’d recommend checking out Nicole’s e-book on Shifting Schedules for help with shifting her schedule and getting her to sleep through the night. You can read more about that here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/waking-too-early/

4. stacy says:

Hello my baby is 7 months and it is starting to get frusturating cause she isnt eating full bottles and she isn’t eating lots of solids and she doesn’t nap during the day mostly. She is just started crawling and she might be teething but i don’t know what to do cause i feel like she isn’t getting enough. Anyhelp

5. Karen says:

how do you know when your baby is ok to stay up over 1.5 to 2 hrs? Would he or she start to refuse to sleep at nap time?

k

6. sara says:

My son will be 7 months old this week, and he used to sleep through the night and he would eat baby food a few times a day, and an 6-8 oz bottle every 4 hours, and if he didnt sleep through the night he’d only get up once but now he won’t eat the baby food at all, he spits it out and cries. he will not sleep through the night, and wants a 6oz formula bottle every 2 hours will only drink like 3 oz and then an hour later wants to finish the rest. Any ideas?

• Kimberly says:

Hi Sara,
      If he won’t eat any baby food at all and is spitting it up, my first recommendation would be to check with your pediatrician to rule out any gastro or stomach issues. It could be he’s waking at night because he’s hungry or he could be uncomfortable if his stomach is bothering him.

7. Tamara K. says:

Hi there – I’ve just found this page when googling “seven month old baby sleep schedule” and have got to do a lot more reading but thought I would ask my question before I get lost in these pages!

We have a wonderful seven-month-old boy – very happy and a sweet disposition with occasional crankiness and crying. I searched for sleep schedules because I am concerned that he’s getting to bed too late.

He was born at 28 weeks and 5 days, and weighed 3lbs, 1oz. He was in the hospital for 7 weeks, then came home and has been steadily growing since then! He’s about 18 lbs now. I breastfed solely until 6 months and now it’s solid food (fruits and veg, no meat yet) and cereal, plus breastmilk.

Most days he wakes up when he hears my husband’s alarm (his crib is still in our room but we will be moving it in a week), and this is about 6am. He is happy to lay in his crib for thirty minutes or so.

I do not have him on a set schedule but generally he naps about every two hours, anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours, and eats about every two to three hours.

He had been doing really well at night, with the nighttime feeding getting later and later until it was 5am and I was giddy with joy! Then it started being an hour earlier, then another, so it was 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 am then midnight. Last night was 3am. I almost never know what I am going to get.

My main concern is that I am feeding and putting him to bed too late. I was doing this:
    6:00pm dinner
    between 6:30 and 7:30 he catnaps for 30 mins
    8pm we take him and get him ready for bed, which includes his last feed, but he doesn’t usually fall asleep or go into the crib (because most times if we put him in still awake, lately, he’ll cry hard) until about 9:30pm.

That doesn’t work for me because an hour and a half nighttime routine is unsustainable, and then my husband and I never have any time together.

He’s quite a good napper and now he’s starting to get up more for nighttime feedings. When he has been up at midnight in the past few weeks, he’ll also wake up at 3 or 4am for another feed. When he wakes up, both times, he’ll take a full feed, so it seems he is genuinely hungry and not just getting me up for a cuddle.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much!

Tamara K.

• Kimberly says:

Hi Tamara,
      I would highly recommend implementing a schedule more like the one Nicole recommends here. Not only do most babies prefer it, but they do much better on it especially in relation to nighttime sleep. I would say that his current bedtime is really too late for him and agree with you that an hour and a half nighttime routine is very unsustainable. If he’s not going to sleep until 9:30 and waking at around 6 am, that’s really only 9 hours of sleep at night, excluding any wakings that he might have during the night and he really needs to be getting more sleep than that at night. At this age, 1-2 night feedings are not uncommon so it’s okay to keep feeding him at night, but I really believe that a better day time schedule might help as night time sleep is often affected by what happens during the day. The catnap between 6-7 is definitely going to affect your ability to put him to bed earlier and actually, this is the time you should be getting started on his bedtime routine. Getting him on an earlier bedtime schedule will also most likely help with the overall night wakings. If you need help with setting or adjusting his current schedule, I’d recommend that you check out Nicole’s books here: http://www.babysleepswell.com/ and http://www.babynapswell.com/ Best of luck!

8. Karen says:

Hi there,

Hmm, I’m no expert so I don’t know what’s too much or too little feeding, but I just wanted to share how my son (7months old since May11th) has been doing…Posting my routine and notes on how I’ve tried to get him to sleep better at night. I just wish he wouldn’t wake at 5am for a feed…but seriously, I shouldn’t be complaining since he goes to bed at 645pm! If anyone’s got tips for me, do share!

His routine:

5am – Wakes up and I breastfeed (15min) and he goes back to bed.

7am – I wake him up by opening the curtains to let light in – and he awakes happy. Cuddle and breastfeed. Then change into dayclothes and sit in bouncer while I prepare simple breakfast (as he usually isn’t so hungry for solids.)

730-8am – Breakfast (4-5 teaspoons of organic millet cereal mixed with organic rice cereal, mixed with expressed breastmilk and 100g fruit puree, into smooth consistency.) He eats the least for this meal, sometimes finishing just 60g of food. I offer small cup of diluted fresh apple juice, and to end, he play-eats a piece of Zwieback.

815am – play on his own on his mat while I wash up…

910am – Morning nap

10am or 1015am (after a 45 min nap) – I usually wake him up. (same procedure as the method of waking up in morning. )He wakes and plays for awhile in his cot. I put some toys in there and engage him in some play, then leave and try to get things done, like preparation of his lunch.

1120pm – Lunch solids. 110g of mixed veges(sweet potatoes, carrots, zucchini for example) and protein (right now it is 25g of pureed chicken) He eats nearly all of his solids, and I also offer some boiled water in a training cup (I remove the non-drip device so water flows out better). I offer breastmilk after lunch, but he isn’t interested, so I take it that he is full and satisfied.

1140pm – 1230pm – Playtime on mat and in bouncer, watching mobiles and windmill in garden, etc.

1230pm – Afternoon nap.

215pm or 230pm – wake from afternoon nap. Breastfeed.

515pm – Solids for dinner. (120g food: 6teaspoons mixed organic millet and rice cereals, plus expressed milk, with 100g added mixed veges OR fruit) Very little water.

530pm -6pm – Kickabout on mat (last playtime for him)

610pm – Bathtime followed by changing table massage

630pm – Breastfeed in my room for 20 min. He drinks lots.

645 to7pm – Bedtime

5am (sometimes 6am) – Wakesup and I breastfeed him. Then everyone goes back to sleep

7am – routine starts again.

Welcome your comments!

• Kimberly says:

Hi Karen,
      Thanks for sharing your schedule. Looks like its a good one that’s working well for you all. It’s not uncommon for babies that age to need at least on feeding to get through the night, so it sounds like he’s doing pretty good if he just needs the one early in the morning and then goes back to sleep. As he gets older and if he doesn’t cut that feeding out on his own, then you’ll need to work on transitioning him to go through the night without a feeding. Make sure he gets plenty to eat during the day as he gets older often helps with getting them through the night without a feeding.

9. Kristin says:

I have a FAT but happy baby boy! He is a good eater and sleeper but I am concerned about his weight. He is 7 months old and weighs 24 lbs. He barely fits in 12 mo clothes! Am I feeding him too much?
    8:00 Fruit and Cereal babyfood (1 jar-stg 2) and 6 oz. formula
    12:00 veggie/fruit and meat (1 jar-stg 2) and 8 oz. formula
    4:00 8 oz. formula
    7:00 veggie/fruit 9 (1 jar – stg 2) and 2 oz. juice
    9:00 8 oz. formula

• Kimberly says:

Hi Kristin,
      I would recommend checking with your pediatrician about his eating and weight. They would be a in a better position to advise whether or not they think he’s eating too much.

10. Sunette says:

Hi! love this website!

My boy wakes a few times at night, and I think I must be doing something wrong, maybe you can help…. He sleeps quite alot during the day, he wants to sleep again after and hour or an hour and half after waking up in the mornings and usually he sleeps for about 30-60minutes…. then the remaining of the day he is awake for 2 hours and then wants to sleep again and he sleeps an hour or hour and half at a time…. he goes to bed at 7:30pm and usually wakes atleast 3 times sometimes 4 (two times where I give him boob) the other times I just give him his dummy and ignore him and he falls asleep after about10-15min! untill he wakes at 6:30am……. I dont know if I should try and lessen his day time naps because he gets very cranky and cries if his tired? please help

• Kimberly says:

Hi Sunette,
      From what you’ve said it sounds like his napping time might be sufficient especially if he doesn’t seem cranky and tired during the day. I would make sure he’s getting enough to eat during the day and then you might consider that he now has some sleep associations where when he wakes at night he will only go back to sleep with some sort of help from you. I would recommend that you check out this post about sleep associations if you haven’t already: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association/ and then to also read over this series that Nicole put together on sleep training as you probably need to consider implementing a sleep training plan: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-training-from-no-cry-to-cry-series-part-1/ Nicole also offers baby sleep consulting where she helps put together a specific plan based on your needs and your baby’s temperament. You find info about her services under Products.