Comments

1. Smarter says:

Bruh, your advice for parents going through this is basically for us to change our assumptions. You’re like a politician, sounds good but offers nothing. There wasn’t one thing offered for me to get my baby to sleep. Maybe the nap schedule, maybe your assumptions, maybe your baby is thinking too much. I don’t need to know the why, I need the how.

• Debbye @ The Baby Sleep Site says:

Hi @Smarter, and thank you for stopping by the Baby Sleep Site! We apologize that you do not feel that you are getting your questions answered in our free articles. As you know, all babies are so different, and they change so quickly, it can be quite difficult to determine why they are responding differently than usual. Could it be teething? Illness? A sleep association? Temporary regression, or that they are getting too much or not enough sleep? Or perhaps they just happened to wake up on the wrong side of the bed? The answer is often “yes” to many of these, or all of these at once! We are unable to really tell you what exactly is going on in your family, without a full sleep history, and we apologize if this results in us not giving you direct instructions. We do find that giving families knowledge on what may be going on, very often gives them the insight needed to know what changes to make and when, and also empowers them to be able to work on sleep on their own after reading a few articles. We strive to provide helpful general help and information through our blog, and to give parents reassurance that they are not alone! While many are able to solve their sleep issues with our free articles and schedule, some prefer/need more help, and that is why we offer additional services such as our one-on-one sleep consulting where our consultants are able to look at your specific situation in great detail, and help you through the issues you are experiencing with your baby’s sleep. We do appreciate you stopping by, and hope that you find what you are looking for! Please feel free to email us at contact@babysleepsite.com if you decide you want more information on getting more specific help with one of our sleep consultants!

2. Disgusted mum says:

I’m so disappointed that you would recommend sleep training. It’s been proven to have negative effects on development. Shame on you.

• Jessica Diller says:

@Disgusted mum,
      I am sorry that you have gotten the wrong idea about The Baby Sleep Site and our philosophies. The whole premise behind our website is that all families and all babies are different and that there is no cookie cutter answer. In fact, we say as much in this article: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-support/baby-wont-sleep-your-fault/
      Saying that “Nothing is a problem until it is one.”
      And in this article, we discuss attachment parenting and sleep training: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/attachment-parenting-sleep-training/
      If a family is happy feeding a baby every two hours at night, co-sleeping for years, or anything else that they feel their baby needs, more power to them! In fact, we specifically tell people some sources are outright wrong because so many books and doctors tell parents (that we talk to every day) that their 4 month old doesn’t need to eat at night, which we do not agree with.
      We strive to empower parents to not do something simply because a book tells them to and empower them to believe in themselves and know that there is nothing wrong with their baby, if he or she doesn’t follow what a book says he should do. Here at The Baby Sleep Site, we applaud you for doing what’s right by your baby; because you know your baby best, and we again apologize that we did not get this point across well in the information that you read on our site.
      Good luck to you in finding whatever you were searching for when you found us!

3. Sad Dad says:

We have a 9 1/2 month old girl who won’t sleep through the night & never has done. She’s been in her own room & cot from 6 months & goes to sleep well at 7pm after a good night bottle. She then wakes b/t 9:30 / 10 pm for another bottle & may go back to sleep. I say may because she sometimes doesn’t without attaching to her mothers breast. At this point it’s very rare that we can put her back in her cot as she’ll scream & kick. It’s now that I then have to sleep in the spare room & she’ll stay in bed with her mother for the rest of the night… until 5:30am when she wakes for good! Her mum thinks it’s something she’ll grow out of but I’m not so sure. It infuriates me & at times I get so mad I can’t stand to look at our daughter. I tried & tried to put her back in her cot tonight but she just wouldn’t have it. I lost it, picked her up looked her in the face & told her to shut up. Then I dumped her in bed with her mother & I came downstairs in a fury! I can’t stand this baby that will not sleep through the night! I read about what she should be doing & it seems to make it worse. It’s an absolute nightmare having a baby that won’t sleep 🙁

• Debbye @ The Baby Sleep Site says:

Hi @Sad Dad,

Thank you for taking the time to write, and we are so very sorry to hear that you have been struggling with sleep for so many months. We understand how difficult it can be with a child who is not sleeping, or when you have severe sleep deprivation, and truly hope we can help! Sleep deprivation can take its toll on many families and it sounds like you’ve reached a breaking point. If you get upset again, we advise you to not pick up the baby when you are that frustrated, and that instead, you leave the room to take a few deep breaths and calm down first, and/or get your wife. I know that’s easier said than done, but we think this will be much better for all of you.

Just so you know, dads can have post partum problems too, so if you feel like your feelings have felt more unmanageable lately than usual, you may want to look into this further. We write more about this in one of our articles here:

If you do feel this could be the case for you, we encourage you to seek support by talking to your doctor, another family member, or by contacting postpartum.net for help finding resources through this tough time. Postpartum.net has a weekly Free Live Chat and a toll free number: 1-800-944-4PPD

We would also love to help with your baby’s sleep problems, of course! From the little that you wrote, it sounds like your baby can benefit from learning new sleep habits, so she can sleep in longer stretches. While some children do outgrow their sleep problems, we know first-hand that it can last months and years just the same. We work with families with toddlers every single day! If you’d like to learn more about how to help your baby sleep better, please consider one of our sleep consultation packages, where we would be honored to assist. You can read more about our one-on-one sleep consultation packages here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/helpdesk/

Please hang in there Sad Dad, and know that you are NOT alone!

4. Emma says:

Hi,
    I have a 9moth old daughter who has 2.5hour sleep straight after lunch each day. Since 5months of age she will wake 3-4 times a night. All I have to do is put her dummy back in and she goes back to sleep straight away. How can I over come this and get her sleeping straight through without worrying about her dummy ? If I don’t put her dummy in she will wake up and will be awake for 2hours or more.

• Jessica Diller says:

@Emma Thank you for your comment. I’m sorry that your daughter has been having trouble with night wakings. It sounds as though she may have a sleep association with her dummy. If you are considering helping your daughter give up the pacifier, then I recommend reading this article: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/pacifier-weaning-stop-baby-toddler-how-when/ If not, it may be helpful to know that some parents find that putting multiple pacifiers in the crib allows the child to find them on their own, without your intervention. No matter what you decide, I recommend reading this free guide about how to help your child sleep through the night: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-through-night-free-ebook/

5. Julie says:

Hello. My daughter will be 9 months in 1 week. Her sleep is very inconsistent. One night she will wake up once to nurse and quickly fall back asleep…then the next night she will be up 6 times screaming horribly each time (sometimes for 10 minutes and sometimes for 60 minutes). She typically naps twice (anywhere from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours each), We have a bedtime routine and we don’t nurse to sleep for naps or at bedtime. She is usually asleep by 7pm depending on the timing of her last nap. I try to be consistent with how I handle her nighttime wakings but sometimes she will only settle if she nurses (or pacifies on me). She has more stamina than I do at 4am and I have trouble letting her scream for more than 10 minutes. Is this inconsistency “normal” for the 8-10 month sleep regression? Is there something else that I should be doing to help her or will she grow out of it as the regression passes? I would do anything for her but I find myself getting increasingly frustrated not knowing what to expect each night. Any suggestions/thoughts would be helpful. THANK YOU in advance!!!

• Neosha says:

@Julie – Thank you for sharing. I’m sorry to hear your little girl’s sleep has been disrupted and so inconsistent for you – I know you all must be exhausted. If she was previously sleeping well, she could revert back to this previous good sleep if you work hard not to develop new sleep associations. Inconsistent sleep is normal during this time, yes, though waking 6 or more times each night is considered a bit excessive. If her sleep has always left a little (or a lot!) to be desired, or if you know that a sleep association has formed, you may want to consider working on her sleep overall by doing some sleep coaching to help her learn to confidently fall back asleep on her own when she wakes in the night and get her on a wonderful daytime schedule. Here’s a link to an article that briefly covers some methods: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/5-baby-sleep-training-methods-explained/

If things don’t smooth out for you in the next few weeks, please consider one of our personalized sleep consulting packages:https://www.babysleepsite.com/services where you can work directly with one of our expert consultants on a plan of action to improve her sleep (and yours too!).

Thank you for reading; please keep it up and stop back by our sleepy little village again soon.

6. Leah says:

The longest stretch my almost 9 month old has slept without waking is 6 hours. That means that if we put her to bed between 8-9pm, she starts fussing around 3am – and that’s on a good night. The past several nights she starts fussing around 10:30, then 11:15, then 12 and on and on the rest of the night until around 2:45ish am when she finally seems to settle back down into sleep until we get her up for the day at 6am.
    There have been nights when she’s been so close to really sleeping only to wake up every hour the next time. She has a consistent schedule of dinner, bath, and a bottle right before bed.

We’re desperate. I just CAN’T let her cry it out. I just don’t see how it will help. Is there not any other way to help her?

• Emily DeJeu says:

@Leah – I’m so sorry you are struggling! 🙁 This sounds incredibly frustrating. The good news is that no, you don’t have to let her cry it out. There are MANY ways to sleep coach! It may just be that you need an expert to help you, since it sounds like you’ve tried to work on this on your own. You can see our expert sleep consulting packages here; do you think one of these would help? https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-toddler-sleep-consulting-services/

Best of luck to you, Leah!

7. Roshena says:

Hi,

I have never had problems with my son sleeping till now. He is 10 months old. During the day he will take 1 nap in the morn and 1 in the afternoon for no longer than 30mins, whereas before he would have about 3 one hour naps. At night I would put him in the cot and he would soothe himself to sleep without a fuss (around 7pm) NOW he wont even lay down if I am not in the room with him. He wants to play on the bed or be carried / held otherwise he screams. It takes me about 1 to 2 hours to get him to sleep and then he wakes two to three times at night with the same performance. I am not used to all these sleep problems as I have not experienced it before now. This has been going on for 2 weeks. I am a single mom and this is becoming very difficult. P.S- he is also teething but this child is literally always teething with 8 teeth now and counting… Rosh

• Emily DeJeu says:

@ Roshena – so sorry you are struggling w/ this! This sounds EXACTLY like the 8-10 month regression. Unfortunately, there’s no quick fix for it; you just have to wait it out. Offer as much soothing as you can without creating any new sleep habits (although I know that’s easier said than done!)

Best of luck to you, Rosh — hope these tips help!

8. Sarah says:

Hi there,

My 8 month daughter was sleeping through the night from 7-5am and up for the day, which is too early but I dealt with it as we were able to sleep. She currently is waking up during the night about three times, once of the times she wakes up it takes me two hours to get her back to sleep, she has been constantly doing this for the past week. She has two/three naps a day 1.5 hours each and 40 min evening nap, and is up at 430/5am for the day. Is there anything I can do?

• Emily DeJeu says:

@ Sarah — the only ‘uh oh’ thing I see in your comment is the 40 minute evening nap. Is that in addition to the 2/3 1.5 hour naps? How late in the evening is that nap? That *might* be the cause of the early rising.

That said, the night waking definitely sounds like the 8-10 month regression to me, and unfortunately, there is nothing to do except to wait it out as best you can. Feel free to offer lots of extra hugs and snuggles and comfort, but try to not create any new sleep habits that you might have to undo later, like sharing a bed or rocking/feeding to sleep.

Hang in there, Sarah! Hope this is over quickly for you.

9. Jasmine says:

My LO has had sleep issues from 3.5 months. Since then she has never (not exaggerating) slept longer than 2 hour stretches and often wakes hourly sometimes several times an hour so I would definitely say we’ve been dealing with severe issues. She’s 8 months old and now instead of just waking and going back down with some comfort or nursing when it’s hunger. She is awake for HOURS! Last night she went down at 8 after over an hour of our consistent routine, woke at 9:40 back to sleep at 10, woke at 11 and stayed up until 4:10 am. Then up at 5:15 to eat, 6:20, and woke for the day at 7:30. She is tired but so wired she can’t sleep as she is learning to crawl and every. Single. Time. She goes from back or side to belly she pops right up can’t self settle and is wide awake. I’ve lived on 3-4 broken hours of sleep for months. :(. We’ve tried some gentle PUPD sleep coaching but she becomes extremely hysterical and I’m not comfortable with CIO. Unfortunately she nurses to sleep and I’ve tried to break that habit but her nap schedule (her awake time is about 2.5-3 hours) hits right at hunger and even though I offer to feed multiple times before sleep time she refuses it until nap or bed! Help!!! Will this pass soon?! My husband and I are beyond discouraged and exhaustion Is an understatement!

• Emily DeJeu says:

@ Jasmine – you sound like a perfect candidate for personalized sleep consulting!! Our consultants can definitely help you – we help lots of parents who are in your boat, and who have tried sleep coaching w/o success. I would highly recommend you consider purchasing a sleep consulting package; you can see them here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-consultant-services/. All consulting services are on sale for a limited time, so if you by a package now, you’ll save a bit in the process, too 😉

Thanks for commenting, Jasmine – hope these resources help you!

10. Amanda says:

My daughter will be 9 months in a little over a week. She has always been a great sleeper besides when she went through the four month sleep regression or when she was teething, about a week ago. Since the teething, she doesn’t sleep through the night anymore. She wakes up and is just up. She usually gets about 9 or 10 hours of sleep but now, she still goes down and wakes at the same time but is up for about two hours in between. It seems like she just doesn’t want to be by herself. She could be asleep and then we put her in her crib and she hates it. How can I get her to sleep for the 11 straight hours that she should be getting?

• Emily DeJeu says:

@ Amanda – this may be a combo of teething, sleep regression, and separation anxiety, which is generally a problem at this time (read more about separation anxiety and sleep here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/baby-toddler-sleep-separation-anxiety/) In general, if you know your daughter CAN sleep well, and if these problems are new, then your best bet is to offer comfort without creating any new sleep associations that you might have to undo later. If you do that, then within another few weeks, things should return to normal.

Thanks for commenting, Amanda – and good luck to you!!