The 8 month sleep regression, 9 month sleep regression, and 10 month sleep regression is a tough sleep regression, parents. I’m just going to come right out and say it.
You’re already feeling weary and worn out from the 4 month sleep regression, which is a doozy itself (and which creates permanent changes in your baby’s sleeping habits), you’ve endured the 6 month growth spurt, and you may even have embarked on sleep training, since the period between the 4 month regression and the 8-10 month regression is a great sleep training window.
And then – after all that sleep deprivation you’ve been through, and after all that work you’ve done, what happens? ANOTHER SLEEP REGRESSION.
But don’t worry – don’t fret! As always, your Baby Sleep Site® team has survival tips. In this article, we’ll lay out causes of the 8-10 month sleep regression, as well as what NOT to do, and ways you can cope without creating new bad sleep habits.
The 8-10 Month Sleep Regression: Why It Happens
Now, I know that when you’re in the thick of the 8-10 month sleep regression, the last thing you’re thinking about is the “why” behind you and your baby’s sleep deprivation. But knowledge is power, as they say, so let’s take a look at why your child’s sleep tends to fall apart between 8-10 months. There are really 3 factors at play here:
- Your baby is conquering some new physical milestones such as scooting, pulling up, etc. We hear from many parents who tell us that suddenly, right around 8-10 months, their babies are standing and jumping and crawling around in the crib, instead of sleeping.
- Your baby is going through a period of mental development, which occurs right around the time your baby is 9 months old. 8-9 months is also when babies begin to really grasp the concept of object permanence and that leads to a sudden onset of separation anxiety. Many parents tell us that at the 8-9 month mark, their babies are suddenly and inexplicably clingy.
- Your baby may be going through a nap transition, and transitioning from 3 naps to 2. Oy – nap transitions are the worst! But the transition from 3 to 2 can be really tough; that’s generally the time when parents first start asking their consultant a TON of nap questions.
The 8-10 Month Sleep Regression: 5 Ways To Cope and Not Lose Your Mind
- Stick to your usual sleep routines as best you can. You don’t want to create new frustrating sleep habits while you’re coping with a short-term phase.
- Have several nap schedules you can choose from each day, depending on how the day goes. You may have to alternate between 2- and 3-nap days.
- Consider offering an earlier bedtime on 2 nap days.
- Give your baby tons of time during the day to “practice” her new skills. In other words, don’t coop her up in an exersaucer or pack-n-play.
- Make your baby’s sleeping area as un-stimulating as possible!
For more details on handling the 8-10 month sleep regression, check out our special members-only resources in our Member’s Area:
- The 8-10 Month Sleep Regression Survival Guide [EXPANDED MEMBERS-ONLY EDITION]
- 8 Month Sleep Regression Case Study (With Breastfeeding Associations, Napping Problems, and Medical Concerns)
- Sleep Regressions Tele-seminar
- The 3-Step System to Help Your Baby Sleep e-book
8 Month Sleep Regression Case Study
Read how they helped Elliot sleep through the night and take better naps – and how they helped to change those sleep associations that were keeping him awake! Just join our Members Area, and access the case study instantly. And that’s not all – our Members Area is packed with additional premium content and resources: e-Books, assessments, more case studies, live chats with a sleep consultant, and more. It actually costs less to join than buying products separately! And best of all, members receive 20% of all consultation services – that savings alone can actually pay for the cost of the membership!
8-10 Month Sleep Regression Help That Works – Guaranteed!
Coping with the 8-10 month sleep regression can be incredibly tough…fortunately, we can help. Our consultants at The Baby Sleep Site® specialize in creating Personalized Sleep Plans™ that are customized to your own parenting philosophy, and that will NEVER make you feel guilty or pressured. Even better, once you have your Personalized Sleep Plan™, your consultant will walk you through each step of implementing it at home.
Once you make your choice and purchase, you will immediately receive an e-mail with your Helpdesk login information. You’ll be able to login and start your Family Sleep History form right away – it’s that simple!
How are you coping with the 8-10 month sleep regression? Have 8-10 month sleep regressions tips to offer? Share below – we want to hear from you!
Our Members Area is packed with exclusive content and resources: e-Books, assessments, detailed case studies, expert advice, peer support, and more. It actually costs less to join than buying products separately! As a member, you’ll also enjoy a weekly chat with an expert sleep consultant. And the best part – members receive 20% off all sleep consultation services!
Essential Keys to Your Newborn’s Sleep is THE newborn sleep book that will help you to not only improve your newborn’s sleep using gentle, sleep-inducing routines – it will also answer your feeding and newborn care questions. You can even buy a bundle package that includes the e-book AND a Personalized Sleep Plan™ PLUS a follow-up email to use for further support!
For those persistent nighttime struggles, check out The 3 Step System to Help Your Baby Sleep. Using the same unique approach and practical tools for success, this e-book helps you and your baby sleep through the night.
If you’re looking for ways to get your baby or toddler into a healthy sleeping routine during the day, I encourage you to explore Mastering Naps and Schedules, a comprehensive guide to napping routines, nap transitions, and all the other important “how-tos” of good baby sleep. With over 45 sample sleep schedules and planning worksheets, Mastering Naps and Schedules is a hands-on tool ideal for any parenting style.
For those persistent toddler sleep struggles, check out The 5 Step System to Help Your Toddler Sleep. Using the same unique approach and practical tools for success, this e-book helps you and your toddler sleep through the night and enjoy a better daytime schedule.
Need help knowing where to start? Visit our Help Me Choose page for helping choosing the Baby Sleep Site® resources that are right for you.