Comments

1. Chary says:

My 2 year 5 old daughter struggles to take a nap she rolls , stretches and sweat profusely until she sleeps.It all started when she was 2 year 3 please help am so worried about her. On sleeping late watching cartoons i really got help from you guys i hope you will awesomely help me on the other issue.

• Jessica Diller says:

@Chary I’m sorry to hear that your daughter is having trouble with naps. I’m glad to hear that we were able to help you in the past, and I hope we can help you again. If you haven’t already, I recommend signing up for our free guide Toddler Sleep Secrets. This free ebook contains information about the sleep issues that toddlers tend to experience. You can read more about the free guide here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/toddler-sleep-training-secrets-free-ebook/

2. Fabiola says:

my 2 year old niece falls asleep late and i dont know how to get her to sleep like she usually did. which was around 9:00 or 9:30. what should i do? My first time experiencing all this so idk what to do?

• Janelle Reid says:

@Fabiola, Thanks for commenting! It might be a regression she’s going through so I suggest waiting it out and stick as close to her normal schedule as you can. The key in regressions is to keep things normal to not build any bad habits (such as a really late bed time) that last long after the regression ends. Here is a link to a sample toddler schedule to use a reference: https://www.babysleepsite.com/schedules/toddler-schedule/
      Good luck and thank you for using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource!

3. Heather Gorius says:

My daughter is 23 months old and after sleep training her last year, she normally goes down for her naps and bedtime without a peep. The last month or so, she has been screaming after we leave the room at bedtime. We though maybe it was a stage or 2 yr molars, so I did whatever I could to calm her- rubbing back, singing, rocking, etc. I quickly created sleep associations, so we let her cry it out last week and she went down with no peeps the next few days. But the last couple of nights she starting screaming again after we walk out of her room and now I’m so clueless as to how to handle the situation. I rubbed her back until she fell to sleep the last 2 nights, but now she insisted that I do it for nap time today too. I don’t want to create sleep associations again, but hearing her scream is the absolute worst! She has a solid nap/ bedtime routine and usually wakes up at 7:30am, naps at 1pm (sleeps until 3) and then goes to bed around 8:30. She doesn’t seem tired at bedtime at all but is a monster if she skips her nap. Please help!

• Neosha says:

@Heather – Thank you for sharing. 2 years is definitely a tough age for sleep as your little girl is likely going through some separation anxiety and a need for a little less sleep – it’s something of a sleep regression. You may want to consider adjusting her bedtime schedule some. And we definitely understand about not wanting to create sleep associations when all you’re trying to do is help your little one be at peace enough to fall calmly to sleep. It can be confusing to know what to do for sure! It’s a bit common for there to appear to be a bit of a setback after a few days of “success” in sleep as well. Consistency in times like this will make all the difference. If you continue to run into issues or stumbling blocks or need help adjusting her schedule, one of our expert sleep consultants can help you through it. You can read about our lovely ladies here:https://www.babysleepsite.com/about and our personalized sleep consulting options here:https://www.babysleepsite.com/services

Please keep visiting our sleepy little village and commenting!

4. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Joseline — so glad this article was encouraging (and comforting!) to you 🙂 Thanks for commenting!

5. Joseline says:

Thank you for this wonderful news!
    I thought that my 2yr and 10months old girl was not normal and just was sick because she does not sleep and wants to watch cartoons all night. Now that i read this article its amazing and i can now relax and see my daughter goes through stages of growth.
    Joseline and also Thank you

6. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Steph — You’re right, of course, that food issues can cause sleeping issues. And something like milk intolerance could cause problems at night. But in my (limited) experience, I’ve found that most serious food allergies and issues crop up during infancy, well before the baby is a toddler. Serious milk issues, for example, often arise during breastfeeding or when a child begins drinking whole milk (for most, right around 1 year).

Of course, food allergies can develop at any age, but my guess is that most children show signs of food intolerances earlier than this, and that the intolerances are dealt with before age 2.

Sounds like you’re coming close to the end of your rope with your own 2 year old! So sorry to hear that 🙁 Have you downloaded our free toddler sleep guide yet? You can find it here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/toddler-sleep-training-secrets-free-ebook/

7. Steph says:

I read this but wonder is there could more than 5 reasons.
    Could it be milk or food intolrance, gastric reflux at 2?
    My son is 2 years 3 months and had 7 full night sleep since he was born,
    We are exhausted and tried EVERYTHING. I’ll keep reading your newsletter, you never know when the bulb light moment will come.

8. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Kathy — Glad you found the article helpful, but bummer on the actual regression! I think all of us secretly hope that our kids will be among the few who don’t go through those common regression phases 😉

As far as how long these stages last, I’d say a few weeks isn’t uncommon (although there’s certainly no “standard” length of time). I know that’s probably not what you want to hear — sorry! But if you find yourself needing some tips/tools to help you cope, you could consider downloading a copy of our free Toddler Sleep Secrets guide: https://www.babysleepsite.com/toddler-sleep-training-secrets-free-ebook/

9. Kathy says:

Is there any information available as to how long these sleep regressions last? My daughter is 2 1/2 and I think is experiencing one of these. It’s funny how I got this link in the newsletter several weeks ago and thought to myself “hooray! She’s sleeping great, no need to read this.” And then just in this past week it’s like everything fell apart. So I searched for this article and Lo and behold – this is describing what we’re going through!! So frustrating when things have been humming along nicely. But reassuring that it’s a phase. It coincided with my husband and I going away for a weekend. She hasn’t been the same (sleep-wise) since then. But it could also be the regression.

Anyway — all of this to ask if there’s a general length of time these regressions take to work their way through? Many thanks.

10. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Sarah — not sure about the night waking, but the early rising could be related to his nap. I’m speaking from personal experience here, and not from any expert wisdom (since I’m not a sleep consultant), so don’t take what I’m saying as gospel truth or anything 🙂 But when my boys were each around 3, I started noticing that when they took afternoon naps, they slept less at night (fell asleep later, woke earlier). When they didn’t nap, though, they slept a full 12 hours at night. So this could be your son starting to grow out of that nap.

Keep in mind that most kids don’t completely give up napping until 4 or 5, but I didn’t find that both of mine starting napping more intermittently around 3. So, maybe try skipping that nap one day and see if it makes a difference in the nighttime sleep?

Again, I’m not offering that opinion as a sleep consultant; just some conventional wisdom 😉