Comments

1. TiredMama says:

Hello, we are at the absolute ends of our ropes in my house. My 24 month old has been sleeping through the night easily, with very few issues, since about 12 months. She would go to bed between 7:30 and 8 and sleep until somewhere between 6:30 and 7 every morning, with very few if any night wakings happening every few months. She would go down without a peep and wake up happy. 2.5 weeks ago, out of nowhere, she started refusing to lay down in her crib. She would stay standing ALL NIGHT LONG, never once laying down, for days on end. She cried and cried, dozing off and on on the railing of the crib while still standing, but never letting go and falling or sitting. We tried letting her CIO, but she stayed doing the same thing all night even after 4 nights of letting her CIO. We did the Sleep Lady Shuffle (8 nights of it), and although she slept through the night twice with it, the other 6 nights she woke up somewhere between 3 and 6 times each night, each time requiring us to sit in her room until she fell asleep again. 30-60 minutes later, she would be up screaming again. And forget it if she caught us trying to sneak out! She would refuse to sleep for the rest of the entire night, popping her head up every 3-5 minutes and screaming bloody murder if she found that we had snuck out. I am due with our second child in 1 week, and we haven’t slept in 2.5 weeks. We have tried moving her bedtime later, earlier, everything. We have tried putting her down in the crib at night awake and making sure she is putting herself back to sleep too. Nothing works – if we use the chair method, she wakes up all night, and if we don’t stay in until she falls asleep, she simply doesn’t sleep for days on end and then can’t stay awake during the day (she falls asleep everywhere – car, couch, our arms, high chair). PLEASE HELP!! What has happened to our child?!

• Neosha says:

@TiredMama – Thank you for reading and for sharing with us. Congratulations on your upcoming new arrival, though I’m sure you’re all exhausted with such frequent night waking and sleep changes! 2 year olds do go through quite some changes which often trigger a sleep regression – development, the birth of a sibling and separation anxiety are all reasons for it, which it sounds like you all have in plenty. I know your time is super limited right now but I would suggest you consider working directly with one of our expert sleep consultants who can help you guys through each of these issues and get your little girl back to better sleep again sooner than later. You can read about some of your options here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-toddler-sleep-consulting-services/ Hang in there and good luck!

2. Michelle Clark says:

My 23 mth old daughter is a great night sleeper. She goes down around 6:30om and falls right asleep until 6:45-8:15am without waking. However, since 18ths she does not nap every day. It tends to be that she doesn’t nap when her nanny is with her. I work full time from home and know they go out for a lot of activities to wear her out, fully active in the house and she is absolutely tired. However I think she simply doesn’t want to miss any time with her best friend. She will lay (or stand) in her bed for 2 hours talking to herself and gets so excited of we come in. We tried to go in when she is standing and without talking just lay her down and close door. No longer works. When the nanny isn’t here she is fine to nap. Curious what to try as she is seriously tired but fights it hard.

• Janelle Reid says:

@Michelle Clark, Thank you for writing to us! I am sorry to hear your toddler has been struggling with taking naps on the days she is out with her nanny. It is hard to say for sure what is going on, but it certainly could be her fear of missing out on time with her nanny (that is sweet they have such a great relationship!). I would make sure your nanny and you are offering naps at the same times each day to ensure consistency, and that on the days they are out and about that they are back at the given time for naps. Pushing it later can cause your daughter to become more overtired and she may fight the naps harder. Also, to hopefully encourage you, I remember going through a similar thing with my son when he was that age – would be awake chatting (and happy!) in his crib not napping. I had to take a deep breath and relax the best I could, because at least he was happy. He eventually went back to taking naps regularly and I have hope she will realize she’s not missing out on all the fun and will get her rest too! Hang in there and thanks for using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource for sleep!

3. Lisa says:

Hi my daughter was awesome sleeper she would get her Jammies on grab my hand and take me to
    Her crib to go sleep. She would sleep 12 hours. Soon as she turn two she would fight sleeping and start bagging her head in the crib. She cry and cry till we came
    Back in the room. We both work so we started to put her in the bed. We
    Started sit in the room
    Till she fell asleep which would work till she wake up couple hours later and bang her head on the crib. Now she won’t even sleep in her crib. Help we are desperate. Her bed time routine is Jammies, brush her teeth, story then bed time.

• Janelle Reid says:

Hi @Lisa, thank you for writing to us. I remember going through something similar when my son turned 2. Around that age their separation anxiety can begin to peak again and make sleep difficult. It is likely during this time as you were comforting her during her anxiety, some bad habits were formed and she is now using you as a sleep crutch. Here is a link about sleep associations to explain her dependency on you a little further: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association/
      You may also find this article series helpful as it takes you through several sleep training techniques you can use to teach her to fall asleep on her own again: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-training-from-no-cry-to-cry-series-part-1/
      If you need more help with this, let us know! We have a variety of packages available for you to work one-on-one with our amazing team of sleep consultants. You can email our Client Relations Team to help you pick out the package that fits your situation best at contact@babysleepsite.com. Hang in there and thank you for using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource!

4. Vicky Anderson says:

My daughter is 2.5 year old she’s had milk protein allergy since birth but took doctors till she was 10months to diagnose a milk allergy her sleep was good mostly sleeping 12 hours thru the night not getting up till 12 in the day, suddenly this stopped and now her bedtime routine is weird I have No idea what were doing wrong can put her to bed at 8.30pm she’s back up for 2.00am doesn’t go back to sleep till 6.30am I’m back up at 7.30am for my son for school I would normally leave her to sleep if she stays sleeping till about 12.30pm (thinking because she’s hardly slept during the night) she will then get up and I’ll put her down at 3.30pm for an hour after getting my son from school then keep her up till bed time, could u point me in the right direction? She goes to sleep sitting on my bed with me and I lift her onto her bed as she still shares my room as waiting on my own council house as I still stay with my parents I have No issue with how she goes to sleep it’s the sleep pattern I’m shattered and pregnant wanting to get her sorted before baby number 3 comes along lol
    Hope you can help thank you

5. Roshni says:

My 2yr daughter used to mumble words in sleep like take me to mama(mummy)…want to suck…calling mama mama..crying..used to turn sides…omg I think she is not having a sound sleep…every 1 or 2 hrs,doing this way or will search for my breasts to suck..am also not able to sleep well…is something disturbing her in sleep? Usually she used to take 1hr nap in the day and at night from around 9 pm to 7am

• Janelle Reid says:

@Roshni, Thank you for writing to us. I am sorry you are not sleeping well because your toddler is seeming restless in her sleep. It is hard to say for sure, but it sounds like she may just be dreaming and mumbling in her sleep. At 2 years old, the goal for your daughter would be to have her sleep around 11-12 hours at night, and then have at least 1 hour of sleep during the day. Here is a link to a sample toddler schedule for you to reference: https://www.babysleepsite.com/schedules/toddler-schedule/
      Thank you for using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource for help!

6. Olivia DeFreitas says:

My son lately is horrible for sleep. I left his father last year, and have been living in my new home since the start of this year, and my son is always here. I thought that he couldn’t sleep at first because it’s a new place, but as the weeks went on, his sleeping patterns became much worse. He’s at the point where he’s in bed at 8:30, up every single hour and officially awake at 5:30-6AM. He doesn’t nap until 11 every day but that’s only for 2 hours. I’m so exhausted, and I work two jobs so I desperately need that sleep but I have no clue what to do. I’ve tried a schedule, snack before bed (an hour before), warm milk, crying it out even and nothing seems to work. What can I do?

• Janelle Reid says:

@Olivia DeFreitas, thank you for your comment. I am sorry to hear you are struggling with your son’s sleep. A change like that can certainly bring sleep challenges, but it’s likely that what initially started out as resistance to change has become a habit. It sounds like your son has some sleep associations keeping him from sleeping longer stretches and needs you to help recreate the experience for him each time he wakes up. Here is an article with more information: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association/
      You will want to slowly wean him from whatever is helping put him to sleep, so he can being to learn to sleep independently. Here is a link to an article series that will take you through several different sleep training techniques: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-training-from-no-cry-to-cry-series-part-1/
      If you find you need more personalized help for your situation, I do think you could benefit from one of our consulting services. You can view our packages online here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-toddler-sleep-consulting-services
      Hang in there! I hope you see some improvement soon. Thank you for using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource for sleep!

7. Amanda G says:

What’s a good time to put a 23 month old to bed? We’ve been putting my daughter to bed at 7 every night even before she turned one. Now for the last week she fights naps and bed time. She screams bloody murder and won’t let us rock her anymore. As soon as her feet touch the floor she smiles even after throwing a huge screaming fit. I don’t know how I’m supposed to keep our routine if she fights until 5am??? At a total loss right now.

• Neosha says:

@Amanda – Thank you for stopping by our sleepy little village and for your comment. 2-year old sleep can surely be tough and the changes come on quickly sometimes. The 2-year sleep regression is tough and will definitely require you to set some limits for your little girl. By this age, we usually suggest 7pm be your earliest bedtime. It could be that she’s not quite tired enough for sleep at 7p anymore (or on most days!), so you may want to work with it little by little each day until you find a bedtime that works better for her, keeping your bedtime routine intact otherwise. Here’s a sleep chart that helps with setting bedtimes for children: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-needs/baby-toddler-bedtime-chart/ I hope it’s helpful and answers your questions, Amanda. Hang in there, and please keep reading!

8. Amanda says:

My 23 month old just started not sleeping. She used to sleep for 12 hours straight, now it’s up every 30 mins. We are lucky if she sleeps 6 hours total now. Also when she does finally fall asleep she does it standing up leaning on the crib rail. She stays like that for hours. Obviously she isn’t getting the sleep she needs or quality of sleep and we aren’t either!

• Neosha says:

@Amanda – Thank you for stopping by our sleepy little village and for commenting! This sleep regression is most definitely no fun and I speak from super recent personal experience. Trying to stay consistent in how you’re at least putting her down to sleep and responding to her during the night will help her not develop any lingering night time habits that you would wish to discourage. If she was otherwise sleeping fine before now, it’s very likely that she’ll revert back to that sleeping pattern in just a little while.

Toddler sleep can be a bit more challenging overall, though. It may be helpful for you, if you haven’t already, to consider some fun ways to set limits and involve her in the process a bit. Here are a couple of links to some articles that you may find helpful: https://www.babysleepsite.com/toddlers/limit-setting-toddler/

Hang in there, Amanda, and please stop in to see us again soon!

9. Audrey Govekar says:

My daughter has always been a pretty good sleeper- we hit a small regression at 18months and we are now a month away from turning 2 and the past few months have been rough. She started climbing out of her crib a month ago so we installed the crib rail.
    She does not fight going to bed and will even ask to go to bed between 7:30 and 8:30. She has been waking between the hours of 12:30 and 2:30. We would try to get her to lay back down in her crib, sometimes she would fight us so we would rock her and then put her back in her crib. Then the last resort was to bring her to bed with us. I realize this is a bad idea but I needed to sleep as I was working at the time. Since climbing out of her crib she would climb in bed with us and it would take 2 hours to get her back to sleep. The past week, I’ve been keeping her in her room but it still takes an hour or two to get her to relax and go back to sleep. She can be restless and squirms around fighting going back to sleep.
    She has been waking between 6&7am and naps at 12 for 1-2 hours.

• Janelle Reid says:

@Audrey Govekar – Thank you for your comment. I am so sorry to hear you’ve been struggling with your daughter’s sleep! When babies go through regressions the key is to keep things as normal as possible to not build any bad habits. For your daughter it sounds like she is really exploring her independence (mine did right at 2 years old too, it was rough, I’m not going to lie) so it may require you setting firm limits. The positive part is that your daughter is going to be able to understand more and more so as you explain things that are going on to her, she will eventually begin to understand.
      Here is a link to some toddler resources that will hopefully provide some helpful tips: https://www.babysleepsite.com/toddlers/toddler-night-waking/

Hang in there! I hope things start to improve soon. If they don’t, you may like to check out our ebook for help on toddler sleep! You can look at different options here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/5-step-system-toddler/

Thank you for using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource for sleep!

10. Liz says:

My almost 2 1/2 yr old is doing this now. We have tried letting her stay up a little later than normal but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. She fights the second you mention going to bed. Screams, cries and then eventually undressed herself so she is completely naked knowing we will come in and get her. We go in get her dressed and try laying her back down for her to do it all over again. I’m an not sure what else I can do at this point.