No products in the cart.

Comments

1. Emily DeJeu says

@ Melissa — I’m so sorry to hear that you and your girl are struggling. 🙁 Short naps can be killer, for everyone in the family! A consultation (https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-toddler-sleep-consulting-services/) will certainly help with this, especially if you feel too exhausted to try figuring this out on your own (and it sounds like that’s the case for you!)

If it helps, you can download a sample sleep plan (https://www.babysleepsite.com/download-sample-sleep-plan/) for free, to see what our plans look like and what they include.

Hang in there, Melissa! And keep us posted on what happens with your little girl.

@ Shruti — you’re in luck: I wrote an article on this very topic a few months ago! It’s on the differences between nap training and nighttime sleep training: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-naps-2/nap-training-how-and-when/. See if this gives you some insights and tips that help in getting your little one to nap better. And do keep us posted on your nap training progress!

Thanks for commenting, Shruti. 🙂

2. Emily DeJeu says

@ Gill — sounds like you’re dealing with this early rising the right way. This could simply be a phase that’ll pass.

Glad to hear that you’ve found a schedule that suits both you and your baby girl! Thanks for commenting, Gill. 🙂

@ Debbie — I understand totally. My kids have all been this way, too! Of course, the plus side of this (for me, at least) has always been that when my kids were in their cribs, with lights off and white noise machine running, they’d conk out immediately. But you’re right; the downside is that if we were ANYWHERE else at naptime, they wouldn’t fall asleep.

I will say that I’ve noticed this is something that tends to get better as kids get older (probably because they need little to no naptime sleep once they’re past their toddler years). I’d also guess that, even if you didn’t attempt to do anything differently when you have a second child, things might naturally work out to be more flexible with your second. I say that because, once you have multiple kids, you’re juggling multiple schedules, and that can mean that your younger one simply has to sleep on the go from time to time. Does that make sense? When multiple children are involved, everyone has to get a little more flexible, including mom and dad.

Thanks for commenting, Debbie, and for sharing a bit about your situation! 🙂

3. Bridgette says

I am a go with the flow person. Alas, my daughter is not. I can try and fiddle with her nap schedule to fit plans for the day but I end up with a cranky overtired baby every time. I’ve learned I need to be home by noon for lunch so she can nap at one. If we’re out in the car after 12, she falls asleep in the car and its never a good 2 hr nap, and we are in trouble later on that day. I’ve tried to move her back to two naps when needed but that doesn’t ever work either.

4. Wendy says

My 2 year old thrives on a rigid schedule. If I mess with her nap or bedtime by a little, it takes at least two “off” days of getting her back on track (she wakes often). If I mess with her nap or bedtime by a lot (for instance, a nap gets skipped because of a noon time event) I am in for two weeks of hell – she can’t fall asleep or stay asleep at nap or bed times and is irritable for much of the day. I stay home with her so I have decided that one day of anything is not worth two weeks of day-long and night-long frustrations. My problem is that I feel like no one else (husband included) understands this. I am feeling very alone. I live 8 hours away from my family, but his family is very big and all nearby – the pressure to attend family events is overwhelming me since husband has a hard time declining so many invitations. I feel like she will outgrow this need for rigidity, but everyone else acts as though I created a non-flexible child by my responses to her needs. Can anyone help with a few understanding words? When we are on schedule, our days are incredibly fun.

5. Shruti says

My approach is so similar to Kendra’s. I stick to a rigid schedule. For me it is very important to know my day. My DS also believes in the same (I would like to think so at least.. he is just 15 months old). He does a good job of being cheerful when I have to be flexible sometimes. My problem is different – though I have stuck to a routine for a long time (more than 6 months on the current schedule), I still have not succeeded to teach him how to nap on this own. He puts himself to sleep at night though. Has anyone did nap training with their kids, how? Thanks!

6. Melissa says

I have been rigid with my 16 month old daughter since she was born but no matter what I do she just catnaps for half hour! It is now starting to affect night sleep as she only wants one nap a day! I’ve read all the books, websites and spoke to our nurse. I feel like no one can help us 🙁 I speaking with my husband about trying a plan as I’m so exhausted and don’t know what to do. I guess the worst thing is ill still be in the same situation.

7. Debbie says

I second the concerns of the previous commenter. I have always made sure my two-year-old son naps in his crib, at the proper naptime. Occasionally these days, we are out in the early afternoon, and I wish I could walk him around the block until he falls asleep in the stroller. But it won’t happen – he will only sleep in his crib, unless it’s several hours past his naptime. I see other kids sleeping in their strollers, and feel my rigidity caused my son to be unable to nap in other settings. If I ever have more children, I will consider taking them out in the stroller for a few naps a week, in hopes they’ll learn to snooze on the go.

8. Gill says

I love a rigid schedule, and my baby thrived on it but after some sleep training over the last 2weeks to help my 7mth old baby girl self settle she’s become a very early riser-5am! Ekk! 6:30am was the norm prior to the training. I was advised to limit her awake time to 2 to 2.5hrs max, so the daily routine is more of a rolling routine dictated by what time she wakes to start the day. I worry that I am reinforcing this early rising, but I also appreciate that if I keep her up too long the day naps will go haywire and then the 6:30pm to 5am night sleep will suffer too!

9. Emily DeJeu says

@ Kendra — this is an excellent question, and It’s one I’ve asked myself from time to time! I’m like you; I like a lot of structure in my day. Erratic schedules tends to send me over the edge! 😉 So I’ve raised my kids this way, and now, they’re little schedule-oriented people, too.

I think that, in your case and in mine, it’s probably a combination of things. The way we’ve raised them, with a more ‘rigid’ schedule, has no doubt shaped their expectations about what each day will look like. But I imagine there’s some ‘nature’ in there, too. For example, my oldest son is more schedule-driven than my younger son.

I will say that, now that my older 2 boys are past the toddler stage and are school-age kids, the whole schedule thing seems to be easier to adjust and bend from time to time. Our family’s daily schedule is pretty consistent, but when we do haver some kind of fun, special, schedule-destroying event happen, they take it in stride. That wasn’t the case when they were babies and toddlers, though. Don’t know how old your guy is, but my guess is that as he grows, he’ll be able to handle schedule disruptions better and better.

Thanks for commenting, Kendra!

10. Kendra says

I am very rigid, so I tend to think a lot of structure is what my son needs. I get stressed out when nap or bedtime gets pushed too late. He always handles it like a champ and remains cheery, but if we have two off-days in a row then it will start causing problems with his sleep. Do you think it is possible for a rigid parent to “create” the need for rigidity in their child? Or is it just me, a schedule-fanatic parent projecting that onto him?