No products in the cart.

Comments

1. Pash Ward says

Hi,

My 16month old started sleeping through the night and then all of a sudden starting waking between 5-6am. It’s started to creep earlier and earlier and now we are between 4-5am. This morning was 4am! He seems awake and wants to play but then is very cranky and ratty after a little while of being awake as he’s still tired. I took the bottle away about 3 weeks ago – he didn’t seem to mind at the time but now I’m thinking it was more of a soother than I thought it was.
    I’ve tried adjusting nap time (usually one 2hr nap around 10.30am/11ish) bedtime (between around 6.30pm)use a blackout blind. Nothing seems to be working currently. Any ideas/help would be appreciated!

Thanks you

• Debbye @ The Baby Sleep Site says

Hi @Pash – Thank you for writing to us about your 16 month old! I am sorry to hear that he is waking so early! 4am – Yikes!! We know how brutal those early morning wakings can be, and you certainly want to do what you can to have a well-rested guy in the morning! With toddlers, it’s all about setting limits and being consistent, so hang in there!
      If you find that you would like more help, you may want to consider our 5 Step Toddler Ebook, where we cover just this and have lots of other toddler info and schedules too!
      You can find out more here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/5-step-system-toddler
      Hang in there Pash!

2. Mina says

I have no idea what my son is going through – he is 3 months today, but ever since he was 8 weeks old (or slightly before) he’s been waking up every 1 and a half to two hours. It got slightly better once I started the eat-activity-sleep routine at 2.5months during the day, but all his naps are 30-40mins long, he still wakes every 2hours or so at night and out of the 3 weeks that I’ve implemented this, he slept for 3 and a half hour stretches of sleep at night for only 2 NIGHTS, and he’s back to waking every 2 hours again. So he’s basically been waking up 4-5 times a night since birth and it is absolutely exhausting and I’m at my wits end. All this behavior points to the 4 months sleep regression, but is it possible for it to happen at around 8 weeks? I can’t imagine continue going through this all the way till 4 months. I don’t get any breaks and he’s never ever slept through the nights.
    P.S. he is able to fall asleep on his own, we put him down wide awake and he soothes himself to sleep. So I don’t understand why he has this night waking issue… I’m about to lose my mind.

• Janelle Reid says

Hi @Mina, thank you for writing to us! I am so sorry you’ve been struggling with so many wake ups from your son. At 3 months old we’d say about 3 wake ups would be considered normal and may be necessary for the baby’s nutrition. Here is a link to a sample 3 month old schedule that may help provide clarity on the amount of feedings he needs in a 24 hour period so you can be more confident that he is not waking up due to hunger: https://www.babysleepsite.com/schedules/3-month-old-baby-sleep-and-feeding-schedule/
      You may also find some tips in this free guide helpful: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-through-night-free-ebook/
      Now while this guide is about sleeping through the night, please know that we do not expect that at this young of an age, however this article will provide tips to you on what you can do to help encourage longer stretches.
      Lastly, if you feel you are at the end of your rope and can’t experiment with what will work/what won’t work anymore, I totally understand and have been there myself. We have a team of sleep consultants here that can walk you through this and will create a plan based on your specific family history and parenting philosophies and they will walk through this with you. If you are interested you can view our various packages online here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-toddler-sleep-consulting-services/
      Hang in there! I hope this helps.

3. Dunja says

Hello,
    Im looking for some advice because I have no idea what is going on. My baby boy is 3.5m old we went to the point where he slept from 9pm to 4pm when he woul eat, then finally would wake up at 6am. Anyway, last couple of days he sleeps from, 9pm to midnight and then literally wakes up every 30min when he nurses, falls asleep and then all over again. He became to sleep longer days during the day. Like he eats and 30 min later he becomes cranky ready to nap. While he sleeps he stretches his arms and legs a lot!!! Please help I have no idea what to do.

• Danielle says

Hi Dunja,
      Thank you for visiting The Baby Sleep Site! I’m so sorry to hear you’re dealing with so much night waking. The symptoms you describe are classic of the 4 month sleep regression, which all babies go through as they develop. We have an article with lots of information to help here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-regression-2/4-month-sleep-regression-checklist/
      Hang in, and please let us know if you have any questions!

4. Sam says

My son is 9 weeks old. 5 days ago he started waking every 1-2 hours at night. He was just starting to ho 4-5 then all of a sudden he went backwards. He wakes at night crying and hard to console. Could this be a growth spurt? It’s been 5 days and still doing it?

• Janelle Reid says

Hi @Sam, and thank you for your comment. I am sorry your newborn has seemed to move backwards with his sleep. While normal at this age because of all the growth spurts and developmental leaps he is taking, it can still be super challenging and we have some tips that can help you manage through this time. If you haven’t downloaded our free guide with facts new parents need to know about their newborn’s sleep, please do as you will hopefully find it helpful! You can sign up to receive the guide here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/15-free-baby-sleep-facts-new-parents-must-know/
      If you find things aren’t letting up and you need help managing these fussy times and getting him sleeping longer stretches, we would love to help you further with one of our other resources on the site! You can view all of our different options that go more in-depth than our free guides and articles. We have options from ebooks to working one-on-one with a sleep consultant to get advise for your specific situation! Here is a link to find out more: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-toddler-sleep-consulting-services/
      Hang in there! I hope things improve for you quickly!

5. Polina says

Hi my 6.5 month is on her fourth night suddenly waking up crying constantly. She will only sleep in my arms suddenly and screams if I try to let her cry it out. I am at my wits end and need my sleep back.

• Janelle Reid says

@Polina, thank you for writing to us. I am so sorry your daughter has been screaming so much for you at night! This is a super common age for separation anxiety to begin showing up, which can be super challenging for their sleep. Here is an article to help give more advice on how to manage this separation anxiety if that is what is causing the issues: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/baby-toddler-sleep-separation-anxiety/
      Through this, while so exhausting, you will want to do your best to keep her from developing any long-term habits beyond this developmental leap. Here is a link to an article series that takes you through several different sleep training techniques, since you mentioned cry it out was not working. Since she is struggling with separation anxiety you may find one of the gentler methods work more effectively for her: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-training-from-no-cry-to-cry-series-part-1/
      Hang in there and I hope you see things improve soon!

6. Kelsey Quinlan says

My babe is 6 months, and the day he turned 6 months he went from sleeping 5 hrs at a time to 2 hrs. It’s been 6 days, could that be a growth spurt or do I now have to do sleep training?

• Neosha says

@Kelsey – Thank you for stopping by our sleepy little village and for your comment! Growth spurts generally last about a week and one does hit around 6 months in many babies. These spurts can interrupt sleep, for sure, usually due to activity or hunger, but generally just for several days. If your little guy continues to wake past the week mark or so, please consider whether he has any sleep associations that could be waking him or keeping him from sleeping in longer spurts. You can read more about those here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association/

If so, then, yes, you would want to find a way to ease him away from those in order to help him get to independent sleep and longer stretches of sleep. We would be happy to help you through that, should you have the need. You can read more about how we can help here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/help-me-choose/

I hope this answers your question, Kelsey. Hang in there, and please stop in to see us again soon!

7. Lorraine says

Hi my little one is 4.5 months old used to sleep from 830 till 330 then till 630
    But the last 3 weeks she keeps waking up at 1pm,3pm 430pm we cuddle her then she goes back to sleep but keeps waking up

8. Rylie says

My baby is 9 months old, he has been sleeping 12 hours straight through the night since 3 1/2 months and taking 2 naps that were 1 1/2-2 hours each. At 7 1/2 months he started gradually shortening one nap and lengthening the other, by 8 months he was only taking 1 nap for 3-4 hours in the middle of his day the majority of the time. It says on here that he shouldn’t be doing 1 nap until 18 months, is it ok that he is only taking the 1 nap? He gets at least the recommended amount of sleep for his age and sometimes a little more and is less crabby when he takes 1 nap.

• Emily DeJeu says

@ Rylie – sounds like 1 nap is working out fine for you! If this is the case, then I wouldn’t mess with the nap schedule 🙂 Thanks for commenting!

9. Colleen B says

My daughter is 6.5 months old and I think she’s going through a growth spurt but it’s so hard to tell! About a month ago, we did Ferber’s check and console with her, which got great results. She went from getting up 5-6 times a night and needing to be nursed to sleep, to going to sleep on her own and only waking up once or twice to eat. But for the past three nights, she has been waking up crying at least three times and she gets hysterical if I don’t feed her. She’s been taking full feedings during these wakings and will go right back to sleep afterward. But she’s not even going three hours between these feedings – she’s up every 2-2.5 hours crying. Does this sound like a growth spurt? If it does, will she go back to her former way of “sleeping through the night” on her own, or will we have to retrain her using check and console?

• Emily DeJeu says

@ Colleen B – Hmmmmm…hard to say for sure. It sounds like it *could* be. Three nights of that may very well be a growth spurt. The tricky thing is that while a growth spurt should only last for a few days (maybe up to a week at this age), babies can quickly form new habits, so it may be that she continues to wake for the night feedings after she needs them. If she’s still doing this now, I’d suggest doing some gentle re-training.

Hope that helps, Colleen! Thanks for your comment 🙂

10. Dawn Gaze says

My daughter is 2 yrs 9 mth and is resisting her lunchtime nap most days. She usually only naps once a week or less now. I still put her down at 12 noon but if she does sleep it usually happens after an hour of her being in her cot. If she doesn’t sleep she is a cranky pants by late afternoon and ready for bed at 6pm! Her normal bed time is 7pm and she sleeps for 12 hours (thanks to a personal sleep plan at 8 months old- thank you Nicole). Should I give up trying to get her to nap? This has been going on for around 3 months.

• Emily DeJeu says

@ Dawn Gaze – oh, boy, do I sympathize. My daughter was just like this – in fact, for her whole second year of life, her afternoon nap was totally erratic. She’d go two weeks and not nap at all, and then she’d nap like an angel for a few days, and then back to no naps. It was crazy. However, I stuck with the nap time – I would just tell her that if she couldn’t sleep, she could sit quietly in her bed and play with toys/look at books. Would you believe that now that she’s three, she’s back to napping regularly, with only occasional missed naps?

So, if I were you, I’d stick with offering the nap for now, but be flexible – allow it to be a rest time, if your daughter won’t sleep. Also, try offering bedtime closer to 6:30 on days when she doesn’t nap (that way, you split the difference between a too-early bedtime and her normal bedtime).

Let us know if that works, Dawn! And thanks for commenting 🙂