Comments

1. Ashley Grace says:

My 19th month old started this about 2 weeks ago. She just turned 19 months 2 days ago, anyways there is times where we are out past her bed time (8:00) we will come home lay her in bed and she screams when we close the door, she has always been the PERFRCT sleeper we have never had any problems with laying her down at night. She takes naps still but does not fight them she only fights night time. She wakes up around 12:04 and 4 am every morning screaming at the tops of her lungs sitting at her door? Im so confused on what to do.

• Janelle Reid says:

@Ashley Grace, thank you for commenting! I am sorry you are struggling with your daughter’s sleep. The key with sleep regressions is to not build any long term habits, and hopefully things will smooth out soon for you. If you find you need any additional help, you may find reading our 5 Step System to Better Toddler Sleep ebook helpful. We even offer the ebook in a bundle where you can receive an Express Sleep Plan created for your daughter as well. You can view all of the options here: https://www.babysleepsite.com/5-step-system-toddler/
      Also, you mentioned she is sitting by the door, so I assume if she is in a crib she is climbing out? Maybe she is on a floor bed. If she is climbing out of her crib, here’s an article with some tips: https://www.babysleepsite.com/toddlers/toddler-climbing-out-of-crib-tips/
      Thank you for using the Baby Sleep Site as a resource for sleep!

2. Annerie says:

My son has been in the 18 month sleep regression for 3 months. Not sure what else to do. He will wake 1-2 times during the night. Some nights he totally soaked as well from his diaper. We even got night time diapers but nothing is helping. I thought sleep regression was suppose to last a few weeks. Not months. Help

• Janelle Reid says:

@Annerie, Thank you for your comment. I am sorry your son has been struggling for so many months! It should only last a few weeks, so it is possible he’s just developed some bad habits so he is continuing to wake up. The diaper thing is tough! I went through that with my older son and started putting a cloth diaper cover OVER his disposable night time diaper, which helped tremendously! Maybe if one problem can be fixed it will help the others. 🙂
      If you need additional help with the night wakings our team of sleep consultants would love to help. You can view our various service packages on our website here:https://www.babysleepsite.com/services/
      Hang in there and we hope things smooth out soon!

3. Laura McWilliams says:

Within the last week or so, my 20-month old (she literally turned 20 mos today) has started really resisting her naps. Up until now she has been very cooperative about napping, although she dropped down to one nap very early (around 1 year). (when she first dropped to one nap, she would nap up to 3 hours at a time- now she normally naps 2 hours and if she wakes up early I let her fuss up to 15 mins before letting her get up). She has been sleep trained since about 8 months of age.

I have been pushing her nap later in the day (it used to be 12; now i’m letting her go as late as 12:45) and she used to have little tolerance for going down later than 12. But she’s not acting tired. I thought maybe it was after effects due to the time change but in fact she shifted her schedule within a few days of the time change so that might be a red herring.

Is it possible this is the 18-month regression, hitting late? Or maybe even the 2-year regression hitting early? Up until now I’m not really sure she’s had any real “regressions.” I’m just questioning whether putting her down later is actually wise, in the case of an actual regression.

• Danielle says:

Hi Laura,
      Thank you so much for your comment and for using The Baby Sleep Site as a resource! I’m sorry to hear you’re dealing with napping troubles, but based on your comment, it does sound like it’s probably the 18 month regression. We usually see some short naps or nap refusal, associated with learning new skills and/or a mental leap, for 2-3 weeks, and then naps more or less go back to how they were before the regression. In the meantime, just do your best to keep your schedule and get her as much sleep as you can. It should be short-lived, but if you continue to have trouble in 2 weeks, then we’d start considering a permanent schedule shift. I hope this helps, but definitely let us know if you have any other questions.

4. Todd Davis says:

“So what’s a tired mom to do?”

Only moms lose sleep, it’s true.

All dads are deadbeats… they never do anything with kids… that’s a mom’s job only, am I right?

/eyeroll

• Danielle says:

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your comment! On the contrary, we actually work with quite a few fathers and couples. We know that dads also suffer from sleep deprivation and it impacts the entire family. I’m sorry you feel we left out dads. It’s just that 95% of our audience are moms and do most of the researching, and we do try to connect with the vast majority of our audience. Believe us when we say that dads are certainly NOT deadbeats. Most of the fathers we come in contact with are either working long hours and/or very involved in the sleep coaching process. We have also worked with same-sex couples, men and women. Our verbiage is not meant to exclude anyone and we look forward to helping all types of families! Thank you for using The Baby Sleep Site as a resource!

5. Rachel says:

My son is 18 months, we can back from a 2.5 weeks trip out of the country,
    As our trip starts she started loosing his appetite , which still continues( it’s been a month now of low appetite).
    During the trip he had a jet leg for about a week but after that he slept good, I would outback him in bed and walk out, the perfect sleeper! About a week before our trip ended he started crying when I would leave the room so I had to seat next to him and it still happens now when we are back home.
    So it’s been more than 2 weeks that I have to seat next to him until he falls a sleep, he also wakes up at night screaming .. sometimes will go back to sleep alone after few minutes someone he won’t stop and I have to go into the room and seat there for a long time !
    It takes him forever to fall asleep , he had the worst desperation anxiety on our trip , which is better now but still now gone .. what should I do??
    I dont have the energy to seat there for so long until he falls a sleep and him not eating well is stressful!

• Jessica Diller says:

@Rachel, I am sorry that your son started having these sleep issues recently. A change in environment, like that of traveling, can cause some issues like the ones you’re describing. It sounds like your son may have developed a sleep association, which can make it hard for him to fall asleep on his own, or fall back asleep when he wakes during the night. Take a look at this article which talks about sleep associations: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association/

6. Colleen says:

Hi, I have an 18 month old that I feel is going through some type of regression. Sleeps at night but at nap time, he wakes up as soon as we put him in the crib and screams. Do you let them cry it out? Rock them to sleep? I don’t want to be dependent on rocking him to sleep especially because I have a babysitter or if my in laws watch. Any suggestions?

• Jessica Diller says:

@Colleen, thank you for your comment. I’m sorry that your son is having trouble with naps lately. Most regressions work themselves out within a few weeks. However, if it doesn’t, or if you are looking into different ways to sleep coach, then I recommend this article which may help you decide which methods may work best for your son: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/5-baby-sleep-training-methods-explained/

7. Hollie says:

I’m wondering if this could be the cause of my 15 month old daughter’s current terribleness? She used to be the perfect sleeper; bath, bottle, book, bed and be out in an instant at 7.30. But for the past few weeks she won’t settle; rolling about and standing up, throwing bunny out of the crib sometimes until 9.30. Then she goes down and will sleep for a few hours but will then wake up every hour to 2 hours throughout the night screaming. I’ve tried cuddles, PUPD, chair and just crying it out. She will fall asleep with cuddles but more often than not as soon as I put her back down she just stands up and cries and WILL NOT STOP! All other methods have just resulted in never ending crying. I feel so sorry for the neighbors! She has all canines and molars coming through at the same time so I suspect this is having a big influence on her sleep but in the meantime I feel like I’m loosing my mind.

• Janelle Reid says:

@Hollie, Teething and developmental milestones is the perfect storm for sleep trouble. I am so sorry to hear you have been struggling with your daughter’s sleep! The key with this is to try your best to proceed as normal to not develop any habits that will outlast any teething pain or regressions. Here is an article on managing sleep training and teething for your reference:https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/teething-sleep/
      Hang in there, and thank you for commenting!

8. Scott says:

We have a little girl, I have started traveling again more frequently for work and my wife works but does not travel. Our daughter is now 20 months, skips naps and gets very agitated at bedtime. Does not want to be in her crib, fights and bites and it can take 2 hours to get to sleep. Do you think this was brought on by travel, she seems 5o also have diarrhea or spit up frequently almost like she is super worried. Any tips or tricks if you have dealt with these scenarios, would be helpful

• Jessica Diller says:

@Scott thank you for your comment. I am sorry your little girl is having trouble with sleep. If her sleep issues are going beyond what is mentioned for this regression, then it may be possible that she is experiencing separation anxiety. I recommend taking a look at this article which addresses separation anxiety more in-depth: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/baby-toddler-sleep-separation-anxiety/ Hang in there and remember that as long as no long-term habits are developed, then it is likely a passing phase.

9. Zig says:

The idea of disciplining an 18-month-old is silly. They’re not trying to manipulate you. They have a lot going on with physical and cognitive growth. Being kind and gentle gets you further than taking a hard line in the long run. I’m going through this right now for the 4th time. It sucks, but just get through it.

• Jessica Diller says:

@Zig, Thank you for sharing your thoughts! This article was not meant to imply that children this age are intentionally manipulating. However, it is simply part of their development to test boundaries and limitations, and can be a great thing! Setting boundaries, and being consistent with your children is imperative at this age. Children crave structure, and this portion of the article was meant as a reminder for that. Thank you again for taking the time to comment and good luck!

10. Mo says:

Is it possible this would start at 15 months?? We adopted our little girl at 12 months and she slept great for the first 2.5 months. They say after she turned 15 months, also the day she started daycare, she was up for hours at night. She does great at daycare now, no tears when I drop her off so I don’t think it’s separation anxiety, but I don’t know. She still tosses and turns all night long and is up between 45 min-2.5 hours each night. While she is up she is happy, sometimes she’ll take a bottle and sometimes she doesn’t.

• Neosha says:

@Mo – Thank you so much for commenting! It is possible for this regression to start a bit before 18 months depending on the little one’s unique development, yes. I don’t know too much about your little girl but from what you describe it sounds as though you could be dealing with a scheduling issue – perhaps take a broad look at her daily sleep schedule to be sure you’re asking her to sleep at the best times as well as be sure she’s getting enough to eat and drink during the day. Most toddlers this age no longer need a separate night feeding if they’re awake in the night and getting enough nutrition during the day. Here’s a look at a sample schedule to give you an idea of a general toddler schedule – https://www.babysleepsite.com/schedules/toddler-schedule/ If you find you need more support, please consider working with one of our expert consultants:https://www.babysleepsite.com/services

Thank you again for commenting and for visiting our sleepy little village – please come back and see us again soon!