Comments

1. Lindsey says:

We are going through this, but the one question I have and the one thing that is different for us, is that we already let our daughter out herself to sleep… obviously that doesn’t happen 100% of the time, but it does happen about 90% of the time, and she does well falling asleep on her own, especially for bed time … we did this early on with our son too and we felt like he rarely was affected at all by regressions… she nurses every time she wakes early though, so it is possible we are dealing with a combination of the 4 month sleep regression AND a growth spurt?! It’s been going on for almost 2 weeks now and I’m so frustrated (mostly because my son didn’t do this much at all, so this is new territory for us)…

2. Stacie says:

So I’m confused, are you saying that sleep training should begin at the 4 month mark, or we should suffer through the regression first, then start sleep training?!

My little guy currently needs us to hold him until he’s fully asleep then we “transfer” him to his crib. So we plan to wean him off of us helping him fall asleep. I was planning on starting as soon as he is 4 months hoping to combat the regression? What do you suggest? Please help!?

• Jessica Diller says:

@Stacie, thank you for your comment and question. Generally speaking, we suggest waiting a few weeks to see if the sleep regression will work itself out, as it sometimes does. You may find that your baby experiences a few nights (or a few weeks) of restlessness, but may learn to adapt on their own. If the affects of the regression continue, or if your baby develops sleep associations during the regression, you may want to consider a form of sleep training to help adapt to the new changes. If you decide to proceed with sleep training, here is an article where we address the most common types of sleep coaching methods: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/5-baby-sleep-training-methods-explained/ Hang in there and best of luck!

3. Emily says:

My son is 3 months old and has been sleeping 6/7 hour stretches with one feeding at night and 3 or 4 hour or longer naps each day since he was about 1 month old.
    Three days ago he started grunting and squirming in his sleep about every 2 hours and then eventually wakes. I first use a pacifier which only mask the problem then he is crying. Once awake, I try to feed and rock back to sleep. Repeat this 3 or 4 times during the night now. He sleeps next to me in a napper (transitioned from co-sleeping) and had been doing amazing. His naps are almost non-existent and if I get him down it last 15/30 mins. I have no idea where to start, or what to do at this point. I need advice. Please help this sleepy momma who returns back to a full time job tomorrow. Thanks!

• Jessica Diller says:

@Emily, thank you for your comment. I am sorry to hear that your little one is having such a hard time with sleep. This age can be a difficult one for many babies, since their sleep is permanently changing from a “newborn’s” sleep, and this often leads to more frequent wake ups at night and disrupted naps. One important thing to remember as your son goes through this regression is for you not to develop any short-term habits that could linger and turn into long-term sleep associations, which can lead to further problems down the road. Though your baby may not be able to be on a “strict” right now, here is a sample schedule for a baby his age for you to use as a general reference: https://www.babysleepsite.com/schedules/4-month-old-schedule?utm_source=crs&utm_medium=desk

4. Paulina says:

My baby is 4 months old now. I put him on his crib awake since he was a newborn, and with the help of a pacifier he sleeps “on his own” but now he is waking up like 4 times at night and still can’t grab his pacifier on his own so I have to give it to him but sometimes even with that he won’t fall back to sleep. What can I do to help him? He was already waking only 1 time for a night feeding…now 4 or 5 times per night and, very strange, napping better. He sleeps every 2 hours for 30 minutes like a clock!!! Now he is still the same but with one longer nap a day, the second one, of 1 hour or an hour and a half. The rest of the day is the same…30 minutes naps.

• Janelle Reid says:

@Paulina, I am sorry to hear you are struggling with your son’s sleep! This is a tough time for sleep since it is changing so much. Nighttime and naptime sleep are from different parts of the brain, so while they work together, it isn’t uncommon for one area to be good and the other to need some more attention. Hopefully his sleep will level out soon, but there is a chance he has a sleep association keeping him from sleeping longer stretches. Here is an article about sleep associations that may help: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association/
      Hang in there, and know we are here if you need additional help!

5. Tuba says:

Hi,

My baby is very gassy (cries a high pitch scream everytime she needs to burp or pass gas) and she has acid reflux. She has never been a great sleeper from the start, but it has gotten even worse lately since she turned 4-months. What can I do? I will appreciate any help or advice as I am going crazy being sleep-deprived even more than usual.

Thank you.

6. Justice says:

I have been letting my baby go to sleep on her ownsimce she was 3 months old… what can i do instead yo help her sleep again? She wakes up every 30 min for her soother after12 am to 6am… help!

• Janelle Reid says:

@Justice, Thank you for using The Baby Sleep Site as a resource for sleep! I am sorry you are feeling the affects of the 4 month sleep regression! It can be so tough. It sounds like she may have a sleep association to her soother. Here is an article about sleep associations and how your baby can grow dependence on something to assist her sleep: https://www.babysleepsite.com/sleep-training/sleep-association/
      Hang in there! I hope things improve soon, but we are always here if you need anything else!

7. Chris says:

I CANT DO IT ANYMORE

• Danielle says:

Hi Chris,
      I’m so sorry to hear that you’re struggling with your child’s sleep. Is there a nearby friend of relative who can come by to help with the baby for a little while? If you’re struggling with depression or anxiety, please reach out to your doctor for help – postpartum depression is so common in both moms and dads after the birth of a new baby. You can also call the PSI Warmline at 1-800-944-4PPD (4773).
      The PSI Warmline is a toll-free telephone number anyone can call to get basic information and resources. Dial extension 1 for Spanish and extension 2 for English. The Warmline is answered Monday through Friday, 8am to 4:30pm Pacific. You are always welcome to leave a confidential message any time, however, and your call will be returned as soon as possible.

And, you might like to read these other stories of parents who were dealing with the same troubles, who were able to get support and start enjoying their babies again: https://www.babysleepsite.com/parent-stories/keeping-hope-through-extended-postpartum-depression-anxiety/

Please realize that you’re not alone with this, and we are hear to help however we can. Write us at contact@babysleepsite.com with your baby’s age and the sleep issues you’re seeing, and we’d be happy to offer support. Be well.

8. Emily DeJeu says:

@ Gabriela – great question! This is totally up to you. If you feel more comfortable waiting until the reflux is more under control, and isn’t such a new problem, that’s totally fine. I will point out, though, that our consultants are completely equipped to work with reflux situations, so this wouldn’t be an obstacle to a consultation by any means. If you did want to start a consultation now, you would simply let your consultant know about the reflux, and fill her in on the reflux meds and any other pertinent info, and your consultant would then factor that into creating your Personalized Sleep Plan.

Thanks so much for reaching out and asking this question, Gabriela – hope my answer is helpful! Best of luck to you – and thanks again for commenting! 🙂

9. Gabriela says:

Thanks Emily for the detailed information. I am going trough exactly what Claire described. My baby just started reflux medication. I want to but a personalized consultation but I am hesitant thinking that I should wait until the reflux goes better and the sleep regression passes. What do you recomend Emily?

Thanks,
    Warm regards from Colombia

10. Claire says:

This describes to a T exactly what happened with our baby girl. It was like a switch went off. She was 12 weeks old, sleeping 8, sometimes 9 hour stretches at night and napping for 2 hours at a time. Then, at 15 weeks – boom – up every 2-3 hours at night, naps falling apart after 40 min, and tired all the time. In some ways, it was worse than when she was a newborn, because we didn’t expect it. Plus I had JUST started back at work full-time, so I was a wreck. On top of it, after about 2 weeks of dealing with this, all of our tricks to help get her to sleep also stopped working. Rocking, feeding, pacifiers, you name it. Her reflux, which had been under control, flared up again. This went on for 5 long weeks until finally, with the help of our daycare provider and our Baby Sleep Site consultant, we managed to teach our daughter how to go to sleep and fall back asleep on her own. Now, I can put her in her crib after her bedtime routine and she goes to sleep with no crying. Naps are better as well. It isn’t always perfect, but the sleep training has given us a path to follow when teething, illness, travel, or other regressions come up. We now have a happy, well-rested 10 month old who gets the sleep she needs. Thank you!

• Emily DeJeu says:

@ Claire – awesome!! I love that you took the time to share your story. This is so helpful to other parents – nothing like hearing what worked and didn’t work for parents who’ve gone before you! Thanks, Claire – and so glad that your consultation was a success, and that you are ALL resting easier now. 🙂